Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1984 32.5' Airstream 325
Bury St. Edmunds , Suffolk
Unhappy Help needed 86 classic motorhome 454

Hello everyone. I am an airstream owner in the uk. I need to find a garage or mechanic that can work on the chev. 454 engine and knows what they are doing.
My RV is at present in suffolk and will not start after having head gaskets changed. My brother in law was working on it and although he is a mechanical engineer he is a little out of his depth with the job.
I live in london, would love to hear from someone with any suggestions. A garage in suffolk,esexx,hertfordshire or north london would be great. I just want to get my RV back on the road.
Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Tim
Candida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Does it crank? It takes gas, spark, and air to make it work. My bet is the distributer is off by 180 degrees when it was re-installed. Find a firing pattern for the v8, make sure the rotor is pointed to tdc at #1 (I think)... best bet is too look it up.

Gas lines primed?
Cam timing correct (but I doubt the camshaft moved just changing the head gaskets).
Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1984 32.5' Airstream 325
Bury St. Edmunds , Suffolk
Help needed 86 classic motorhome 454

Hello everyone. I am an airstream owner in the uk. I need to find a garage or mechanic that can work on the chev. 454 engine and knows what they are doing.
My RV is at present in suffolk and will not start after having head gaskets changed. My brother in law was working on it and although he is a mechanical engineer he is a little out of his depth with the job.
I live in london, would love to hear from someone with any suggestions. A garage in suffolk,esexx,hertfordshire or north london would be great. I just want to get my RV back on the road.
Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Tim
Candida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Does it crank? It takes gas, spark, and air to make it work. My bet is the distributer is off by 180 degrees when it was re-installed. Find a firing pattern for the v8, make sure the rotor is pointed to tdc at #1 (I think)... best bet is too look it up.

Gas lines primed?
Cam timing correct (but I doubt the camshaft moved just changing the head gaskets).
Good luck!
Marc
Firing order is: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. #1 cylinder is on the right hand bank, closest to the front of the engine. With the engine at #1 TDC, the ignition rotor should be pointed in the area of the vacuum advance unit.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Bump

Sorry I do not have a answer for you but will bump it back to top of portal page to see if some one dose
Old 04-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
check do you have compression.
check do you have fuel
check do you have spark
is the distrubitor put back corectly.
DO NOT let a guy work on your V8 when he is used to 4 bangers only.
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote