Old 05-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member
Acworth , Georgia
Surging & Splurging...

Forgive me guys, but it has been a while since I've posted on the website. My military duties kept me out of country for a little while. After several months of inactivity, I loaded up my MoHo and headed out to see some family members.

I didn't get very far. On the first hill in the neighbor hood, the engine hesitated and surged, then repeated over and over. I was not sure I would make it up the hill. Idles fine and runs okay at slow speeds; not a good thing on the Atlanta highways.

Since then, I have replaced the Distributor and fuel lines. The problem has not been solved and I still have trouble getting up the hills and even on mild straight aways at 35-45 mph, the engine looses power briefly and quickly surges; makes me think I'm in a rocking chair. The guys who worked on it told me they believed it was a carborator issue, and they did not suspect the fuel pump and the filters checked out okay. At this point and many dollars later, I am not sure where to start.

This thread has given me some interesting information, but I have very limited time to do the work myself. I am in the process of changing job locations (Acworth GA to going to Maxwell AFB, AL) and I gotta get my AS in good driving order. I am trying not to stress out over this, but dang! it ran fine before I left for the Kyrgyz Republic...

I've copied the a few posts from this thread, and am hopeful this will help. Any additional recommendations are welcome.

1979 24' Excella Motorhome
LeeMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:37 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member
2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
LeeMo, First of all thanks for serving and welcome back. That was a major life commitment.

I read through the old thread and then saw yours at the end. I have been rebuilding and messing with an old '76 pick-up for years. Two motors, couple of trannys, wiring, ignitions, a half dozen carbs, headers, you name it. I can recall all kinds of various driveability problems that I thought I had traced to root cause only to see the issue come back a week later with tons of replaced parts.

Now days, I do the major labor things, like rebuild and install an engine. But I leave the tuning and driveability issues to the pros. Everything is so dependent on everything else. A cooked plug wire ( been there done that, threw away the headers and put stock manifolds back on), clogged carbs, timing off, vacuum leaks, fuel pressure. This can leave you chasing your tail and buying parts with no real root cause.

Honestly, I would take it to a reputable mechanic unless you have the skill, tools, and diagnostic training to wrestle it to the ground. Given that your rig has sat for a while, it could be anything. Sorry to hear about the many dollars part. That stings when you pay to get something fixed and then it is not. When you get to your new base, maybe someone on the forums in the area can recommend a good wrench. The best of luck and welcome back.

elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #73
1981 28' excella motorhom
Blue Springs , Missouri
power valve

just free it up, it's probably stuck.
IPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:29 AM   #74
Rivet Master
1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
The PO of my rig had a lot of trouble climbing hills. He finally discovered that the fuel tank was full of junk (rust I guess). After he had the tank cleaned the rig ran fine.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion - The Dalai Lama

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #75
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs

This sounds like the issue I had. My issue was a fuel supply issue. My 345 ran along just fine and then whooomp. It started. The problem was an in-line fuel filter behind the steps (and of course sludge in the tank). They also added an additional fuel pump in the rear (since the tank in the 345 is so far from the engine) but I don't think the pump was the real issue.

The crud in the filter allowed enough gas under light loads but not enough for acceleration and hill climbing. I had the issue re-occur (after the rear pump was added) and changing the in-line filter resolved it. From then on, I kept 2 spares of the filter in my rig.
Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20' Motorhome
Fred's Airstream Archives @
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #76
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Great point

Originally Posted by guy99
... He finally discovered that the fuel tank was full of junk (rust I guess). After he had the tank cleaned the rig ran fine.
I replace my '84 454's carb's built-in filter ahead of the 10k mileage recommendation because I keep finding lotsa of rust in the ones being replaced.

1967 Airstream Overlander International
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member
Acworth , Georgia
Surgeon & Splurgeon...

Thanks for all the great advice!

I did get my MoHo to the hospital, and I expect to get it out this coming weekend. Once I get the full diagnosis, I will post a full report of the findings from the docs. BTW, the co-pay is hell!!!

1979 24' Excella Motorhome
LeeMo is offline   Reply With Quote