Old 04-04-2004, 08:46 PM   #29
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
We made it!

I "think" it turned out to be three things. Two of which are corrected:

1. Loose 12V lead to the igntion magnetic switch
2. Bag plug wire on number 8
3. Something in the carb (power valve???)

Here are the gory details:

I tinkered and checked and tuned a tweaked and we decided to leave CT for Louisville a day early just in case. Good thing too. We headed down 95 toward NY on Friday night and everything seemed fine. But on the Tapanzee Bridge we lost everything. Engine died, nothing, wouldn't turn, holy moly!

Luckily this happened in the far right lane and we had just crested the center of the bridge, so I put the flashers on, dropped into N and "coasted" down the other side. I had Suzanne pull the doghouse and in the dark I could see some arching at the magentic switch on the alternator bracket. I basically shoved the wire back in, restarted and made it to a turn off at the end of the bridge. Cut the wire, crimped on a new connector and we were on our way again. BTW - Suzanne earned 300 Airstream points for this act of in motion troubleshooting - if there are such points.

I suspect that we were getting partial or even intermittant connections earlieri n our trip from this loose wire. I'm more than a little anoyed at myself on this one as it had been on my list for some time. It gave me trouble on a trip to Atlanta and I've had "solder wires" on the to do list since then.

We made it well into NJ before the hesitation started again. Needless to say we were pretty bummed out that we still had our power troubles. Ended up at a Wal-Mart in Stroudsberg PA (where we bought a soldering iron and soldered those swich connections - just to be sure)

The next day we made it as far as the Flying J in Midland PA on I-80. Just because, I decided to throw on the timing light to see if we were out of time (I was thinking thinking jumped timing chain at this point). For some reason I decided to connect the light to each wire and check the plug firing. Turns out plug wire number eight was bad. Missing as many as five fires in a row. A trip to the local NAPA and an explination that I just bought these wires at NAPA in Louisville a week ago and was headed back with my family in our Airstream MH and before I could fninish the manager handed me a single wire with a smile.

We decided to press on and made it to western PA (Flying J again - I must like these) and camped for the night. I noticed during this leg that the hestiation on hills had changed. If it's possible to "feel" such changes it no longer felt like it was missing it felt now like it was running out of gas on hills. I thought that with a consistant 12V feed power and number eight actually firing more than 50% of the time the backfiring was gone.

This morning I fired her up and sprayed nearly a half a can of CRC Carb Cleaner down the primaries and secondaries. We ended up driving through to Louisville with no more hesitation at 65 - 70. Instead it seemed like the hesitates slightly now at 35 - 45. So I'm pretty sure I'm down to a Carb issue. Just for fun we stopped at Jegs in Columbus and priced Edlebrocks. (What a cool store)

Despite the little stumbles at lower speeds she ran like a champ all the way down 71 at 65 with the cruise on; up hills, down hills, just like she used to.

So - what was everyone saying about the power valve?

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:54 PM   #30
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster@myrvadvanta
So - what was everyone saying about the power valve?
Power valve is inside the carb. I could go into a long dissertation over what it does, but the Reader's Digest version is to find another carb, or get the one you have rebuilt. Glad you made it home okay, there was much concern over whether you would get back home without major surgery.
Terry

Old 04-06-2004, 12:16 AM   #31
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Thanks. Happy to be home and even happier to be home with a working AS. Looking at Edlebrock's Q Jet replacement but have been thinking either rebuild what I have for now or just replace everything with a Performer carb and intake combo. Maybe even an MSD HEI Distributor for grins.

My long block is in good shape on a (rumored) rebuild with good oil pressure and compression all around. Seems like since I [generally] have runner and I recently opened up the exhaust side it might like some attention on the top of the engine for a change.

Surprisingly, the budgetary goddess agrees with my replacement theory - if I'm working on it we can't go camping in it. I should strike while the iron is hot. I have a Jegs catalog in my hand...somebody talk me down! Help!
Old 04-07-2004, 06:36 PM   #32
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Rochester Carb rebuild kit is only $15 or there about

It's not that hard to do.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:06 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Replacement Carb

Hi,

You should contact the Jet Carb people about a carb for your MH. They have been rebuilding performance (RV specific also) Quadrajets for many years. They have two stages. Talk to them about just what carb you need. They will custom buid one based on the mods you have done and plan to do to our MH. Price is less than a new, stock Q'Jet and will add measurably to your MH. Get the MSD ignition as well. Jet's URL follows:

http://www.jetchip.com/fuel/streetmaster800.cfm

I don't believe Q'jets have power valves. These are generally a Holly problem.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:12 PM   #34
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Thanks!

Guys - Thanks a lot! I'll check in on both. On the rebuild kit - is there a common source for the kit?
Old 04-07-2004, 07:34 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Me too.

How many miles are on the engine?

We had experienced the same symptoms on our MH during two separate trips.

She had 82,000 on OD when we bought her...now has 92,000.

First time was on way to Mt. Rushmore after all day driving ...rode hard and put away wet that day...barely made it up the hills to the cabin in Custer State Park. I was really afraid that we had pushed too hard and fearful she wouldn't start the next morning. Spent next day tinkering and checking plug wires, in line fuel filter, plugs, points, etc. Started the following day fine and ran good until the mountain passes in Wyoming (heading for Jackson Hole). Arrived at Condo and parked for about a week...still tinkering, checking and wondering would she make it back home. Ran fine first day on way home...took the state hiways, no interstate. On evening of second day started cutting out (like no fuel) when climbing hills...stayed at KOA in St. Joe, MO ran rough most of the way home to STL...was really scared she wouldn't make it the last ten miles to home.

After two days of recovery (for her & I) checked timing...it seemed to be off...adjusted and took out for test runs over the next month. Thought problem solved...NOT.

On way back from camping trip two hours from home it started again...limped home avoiding any hills.

Replaced alternator ...heat insulated fuel line and installed heat shield to right side header (I was afraid it might be vaporizing the fuel).

Found secondaries stuck shut...freed them up...WOW you can actually hear the four barrels kicking in & sucking the gas down during acceleration.

Replaced stock air cleaner housing with K&N 4" for increased air flow.

Found choke was sticking, lubed it.

I will be replacing the exhaust next week w/ 3" all the way back...currently has 1 7/8"...

I've been thinking about upgrading carb system also...$$$!
Old 04-07-2004, 07:45 PM   #36
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoburb
I don't believe Q'jets have power valves. These are generally a Holly problem.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
I have an old Quadra-bog carb at work, I will pull it apart and see if there are power valves inside, I am pretty sure there are, but I will confirm this, and post back.
Terry
Old 04-07-2004, 07:51 PM   #37
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Steven

I have a Qjet I took off the Argosy sitting on my bench. All the fuel has evaporated. You want it? I will sell it cheap!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:12 PM   #38
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Brett, thanks for the offer - how cheap? I'll tell ya - I'm pretty close to buying either a rebuilt QJet or the Edlebrock replacement. I might try rebuilding mine but I'm not convinced I'm that good of a mechanic. Besides I'm geting tired of spending all my quality AS time in the doghouse (literally and figuratively ). Seems like a "bolt on" solution might just be the trick.

I've been looking for a "How to rebuilt a Rochester Quadra Jet Carburator book (I'm a book guy) and just ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...013131-0810514 Might be helpful for many of us.

I figure even if I end up buying a rebuilt QJet at least I'll know how the darn thing works. Maybe I'll be inspired and just rebuild mine.

Zamboni - you may want to consider going with 2.5" instead of three unless you are planning to open up the intake side. I bought my headers, pipes, mufflers and install kit from Jegs and they were incredibly helpful. The guy I had on the phone was a weekend racer and used his SOB MH (P30) to haul to races. He did the same setup and cautioned me against the 3"ers. Not enough back pressure. I'm no exhaust expert so when I told him I was just going for a little "free power" but mostly fuel economy he sold me the 2.5" from the collectors back. Hard to tell if it made a difference since with my carb problems my mileage was terrible on this last trip.

In any case it sure does "sound good". I get a lot of double takes off the line now which is kinda fun.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:37 AM   #39
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Steven,

Pay the shipping and its yours. You could use it as a practice one, and if it works keep your original as a spare.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:43 AM   #40
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Hmmm...

May just take you up on that. Let me get this book in first so I can see what I'm getting myself into.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:58 PM   #41
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Carb Expoded View

I've spent far too much time searching the web today looking for resources (and the confidence) to rebuild my carb. I found this at www.carbs.net.

I also found a rebuild kit from NAPA for $30. Based on what I"m reading this doesn't sound too scary.

Hope this pic helps someone else as well:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4mv[1].jpg
Views:	273
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	5914  
Old 04-12-2004, 03:30 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Hi Steven,

Call these folks and discuss your situation. They rebuild Q'jets properly and, where required, modify them for specific applications. It's worth the price of a call. Complete carb is usually <$400.00 ready to go. Jegs and Summit carry them as well, just not specifically tuned to your vehicle.

http://www.jetchip.com/fuel/streetmaster800.cfm

Take care,

A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote