Old 11-06-2002, 09:52 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Oscar,

Joe initially thought it was the brain, replaced it but the problem still persisted. He suspects the ignition switch may be bad or a problem with the wire leading from the switch to . . . where it is supposed to go (he told me but I was so blissfully happy it started so easily with the hot-wiring that I was off on cloud 9 and didn't really pay that much attention to him).

Right then and there Joe looked like the best-looking guy in the world to me!

The reason why Joe could not work on the beast sooner than November 16th is because he races cars on the weekends and this weekend is his last one of the season. Don't ask me what kind of cars he races because I don't know (stock cars - ?). It's a hobby with him.

Anyway, Peter - I promise to love, honor and respect the beast for as long as I keep it. Is that zen enough for you?

Old 11-06-2002, 10:37 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Just a note....

Carry these with you as spares; ( Fords) Starter soleniod, brain (ignition module), voltage regulator, coil, cap and rotor. Heat KILLS electonics! I carry more and get laughed at until someone needs something, then the laughing turns into "how do I remove my foot from my mouth"! Oscar

Old 11-06-2002, 10:49 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Good advice - I don't care if people laugh at me - I'm used to it. I'd rather be safe than sorry . . .

I forgot to mention that the gauge that measures my battery charge on the dashboard doesn't work (the voltimeter - ?). Is this part of the problem?

Also my turn signals don't work - fuse problem? I checked, but the fuses seem to be okay.

Just curious - is there ever a time when every thing works when it's supposed to? I mean, will there ever come a time when I go to start the engine, turn on the dash a/c, turn on the radio, engage my turn signal and . . . . . . the engine starts, the dash a/c turns on, the radio plays and my turn signal blinks?

Will this dream ever come true?
Old 11-06-2002, 10:52 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

One more thing

Oh - and the exterior lights on the entire curbside of the MH does not work.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:38 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Patience is a virtue.....

Welcome to our world!! Your ammeter runs off the voltage regulator so the meter itself may be bad. Easy check, disconnect and use a volt meter on the incoming line while vehicle is running. If it registers then gauge is bad, if not the regulator is bad, (on the meter tab).
As for your turn signal lights and curb lights, check for splices that are not factory,( i.e.) plastic clips that feed another line for auxillary components, corrosion may be involved. Are electrical schematics available for your rig?
Some others here with the same type rigs may be able to help better on MH's. I pull with a 460 Ford, so some of my electrical mishaps are seperate 'twix truck and AS. Oscar
Old 11-07-2002, 01:13 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Yes, electrical schematics are available for my MH (I believe I saw them in the manual).

I guess the next step is to shove the manual in the mechanic's face and say, "Have at it!".

P.S. Did I mention my husband is an electrician? I KNOW I mentioned that he won't have anything to do with this thing . . .
Old 11-07-2002, 07:39 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The hardest part can be at the beginning of any relationship
No doubt you will get past all this intial.. stuff.. (for lack of a more appropriate 4 letter word) and you will enjoy the heck out of your motorhome.
We have all been there to some extent, just look back at the posts over the past months....from generators to batteries to hose reels to orange cones jumping into your path....
My electrical problems were similiar in that the lights went nuts and would not work, and the starter would not crank, and it all came down to one burnt wire near the manifold that was almost but not quite burnt through. It caused many problems and made me replace the alternator and battery isolator at a mechanics suggestion. Once the little wire was replaced the problems ended.
Not saying that this is your exact cause, but ZEN like --it caused a lot of frustration and amazingly the root was the smallest little
inexpensive wire.
Ever read "zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance"? A great book- the author's cross country bonding trip with his son is stopped because of a single bolt. Its like life the smallest pebble can overturn your apple cart!
Hope it clears up for you soon so you can get on with the good part.....driving it and living in it....when you pour that first cup of whatever you drink and sit back some nice moonlit night
Old 11-07-2002, 09:11 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

I am taking this all with a smile on my face and a tongue in my cheek.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:51 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Just curious - is there ever a time when every thing works when it's supposed to?
Yes Emily, that day will come. It's the day you think, "It's all working! I wonder if I should sell it quick?"

I think that's why we're on our third coach!
Old 07-03-2006, 08:59 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Hello,
I would get a different mechanic to check it out. if he did not notice the way the wires that you described were he did not check it out that good. when a engine back fires they usely blow off a vacuum line or two.get a competent mechanic to splice a new wiring connector to the coil..the way you describe your problems it sure sounds like the coil. but the brain has been known to malfunction strange starting antics..
bobchevy89
Old 07-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Beverly Hills , Florida
Emily..........

I have a 370LE also.

Re: your turn signals not working......

Check the turn signal flasher module. There's also one for the emergency flasher..

Mine went bad once.

Happy trails...............
Old 07-05-2006, 06:31 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobchevy89
Hello,
I would get a different mechanic to check it out. if he did not notice the way the wires that you described were he did not check it out that good. when a engine back fires they usely blow off a vacuum line or two.get a competent mechanic to splice a new wiring connector to the coil..the way you describe your problems it sure sounds like the coil. but the brain has been known to malfunction strange starting antics..
bobchevy89
Are you aware this thread is nearly 4 Years Old!!!!!------pieman
Old 07-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #41
JBK
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
Mike:
I was about to say the same thing...

JB
Old 07-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Are you aware this thread is nearly 4 Years Old!!!!!------pieman
been a mechanic for 25 yrs. worked on a lot of motor homes that some times you have to tell some new owners things that old salts have heard years ago.newbees have not heard. thats how they learn.