Old 11-04-2002, 06:57 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

I think my husband is immuned to the disease. Or has the gene to resist it. He says he wants nothing to do with it (other than paying the bill to get it fixed).

Hmmm. I wonder if there is a vaccine - or an antidote (perhaps it is a poison?).

Old 11-04-2002, 07:16 PM   #16
Krazykraut

Death Batteries

Check your Battery posts, if they are hot, most likely your starter is dragging, amateur against the field
Old 11-04-2002, 07:21 PM   #17
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Emily, you can't fool us. We know you pulled some wire just to keep it at the house for a few days.
I want to second Silver Bullet on the distributor/ignition module guess.
The oil leak is another great discovery. An oil leak can be fixed easier than oil usage.
How is the interior coming along?
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 10:11 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Peter,

My husband accused me of the very same thing . . . my son, his friend and I slept in it the first night - the bed was way comfy!

The interior is awesome! It is PERFECT. It is the only thing, I think, that keeps me going with this thing. I promise, I promise to post some pics as soon as this beast is up and running -

Speaking of which, I will mention the distributor/ignition module to Joe the mechanic - IF HE EVER CALLS (still waiting to hear from him).
Old 11-04-2002, 10:31 PM   #19
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by eraffety
..... I promise to post some pics as soon as this beast is up and running.........
Within that sentence is the explanation of all your problems! The beast ! Emily, no wonder he treats you like that.
I just read an ad for another 1989 370LE for sale. The seller claims with documentation that only 33 beasts like yours were built.
AIR #13
Old 11-04-2002, 10:51 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

I say "beast" with great affection, Peter. I have to - I am committed to it (or else my husband will say, "I told you so"!)

Besides - ever see that Ikea commercial with the lamp being dumped outside in the cold, dark rain while the newly purchased lamp is coddled inside nice and dry and warm? What did that guy say about inanimate objects?

Anyways, my beast is comatose right now (although I hear those who are can often hear what you are saying . . . hmmmm).

My apologies to anyone who is comatose - that comment was strictly meant for humor - not to insult.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Emily,

Make sure they check/change the fuel filters. You probably have one at the engine and another in-line near your steps. A clogged fuel filter would cause intermittent fuel flow. The shop ended up dropping my tank and draining it and filtering the gas they put back in. I also had them change out a rubber hose line that I feared was old and collapsing under the pressure of the pump.

Since your tank is so far back, you also probably have two fuel pumps. One is electric near the tank and the other is on the engine.

I had fuel flow problems in my own personal beast of a 345 with a Chevy 454. Now that most of the mission critical things are working, we're having a blast. It stinks to return to our immobile dwelling.

OBTW...My wife drove the 345 yesterday from one state park to another through some tough driving! Before that, I did all the driving.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 08:33 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Fred,

I drove it from storage to my house AT NIGHT on the toll road and through the main street. It was pretty easy! And fun - I was told that I kept hugging the right side of the road, but other than that I was okay!

I KNOW I will have a blast once this thing is safely running!
Old 11-05-2002, 10:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Emily,

I hug the right side of the road with our Argosy MH. Brett does too, although he's getting better since he gets more practice.

I think it has something to do with sitting so far forward (no big hood to guide you) and sitting so far to the left. The view of the road is skewed from our accustomed position when driving cars.

I'm sure it will improve with time. But isn't it amazing that hugging right is the only real issue driving these big, beautiful MHs?

I've seen photos of your interior. It is GORGEOUS!!

Don't let your current mechanical problem get you down. Between your mechanic and all the wonderful advice you are getting here, it will be fixed in no time.

Just ask Fred (1985air345) about the struggles with his hose reel. These things do get resolved, no matter how frustrating at the time.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:01 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Thanks, Edie!

Your posts always bring a smile to my face!
Old 11-06-2002, 06:40 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Back to storage

Well, finally got the 370le back to storage. Joe the mechanic had to hot-wire it to get it started. He suspects a wire malfunction, but couldn't take the time today to trace where the problem is, so installed (temporarily) a switch to "hot-wire" it to start until he can look at it again on November 16th.

Just a little note: My friend and I forgot to check that the exterior front engine cover was put back on before my friend took off in the MH. Yep, you guessed it, it broke off the brackets and he ended up running it over (with ALL four wheels on the passenger side) while I was chasing him in my high heels down the street screaming at the top of my lungs to get him to stop. ARRRRRRRRGH!!! He is going to get "Bob" the body shop repairman to fix it. I hear he does great work while on acid.

Ah well. I must have done something really bad and am getting paid back for it.

Lesson learned: Always walk around once before you take off and make sure all compartments and covers are closed/locked. Never assume someone else has done it.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:37 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

He hot wired it and it ran???

Well that discounts fuel, coil, distributor and brain. IGNITION SWITCH!!! Unless there is a broken wire somewhere between switch and soleond, that's all that's left. Not a hard trace! Oscar
Old 11-06-2002, 07:40 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

That should be solenoid!!

Hey, I've had a hard day too!! Oscar
Old 11-06-2002, 08:28 PM   #28
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
I merged your threads, Emily. This is history in the making and you want to be able to find this in the future.
Sorry to hear about your engine lid. I bet you can get a replacement from Airstream.

I may have told you that I called my little 28' the beast, too. Some of you may think that I am nuts, but I tend to establish a relationship with my Motorhome. You know, kind of like a Zen thing. It's a 2-way road. You get to know the beast and the beast gets to know you. You take care of it and it takes care of you.
I took on a rig that was abandoned. left for dead. Many things I did in the first couple of month, I had to do twice. Not that I didn't do it right the first time, no, weird stuff would happen, like brand new equipment would fail or after fixing a problem, a even deeper problem would appear.
Well, we made it and reestablish a level of trust that has already been proven.
On our trip to Mystic Springs, FL this spring, I discovered a somewhat hidden leak in the radiator. We, the beast and me, discussed it and decided on cleaning the area and using JB Cold weld. We made it back the 750 miles to Austin without a problem.

AIR #13