Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2002, 02:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Hello from new Forumee - and a question about front shocks on my 1989 345LE

Hello, We are owners of an immaculate very low mileage 1989 345LE Airstream Motorhome which we have spent around 100k on as well as the purchase price...we love it. We live in San Francisco and want to drive it to South America next year. Ok, that's the dream

As part of this we have replaced or refurbished nearly all major mechanical and structural items and it drives like a dream now, although like any elderly icon it needs constant looking after.

I wish these were built on Ford chassis for better mechanical reliability...anyway that's another subject...I am constantly having to deal with Chevvy related mechanical stuff, little things like electrical fuses, blocked fuel filters, carb adjustments etc. All things that can stop you going anywhere.

We replaced all airbags and shocks all round, making sure that the original shocks exactly were put on the front. The original spec shocks were hard to get, but eventually sourced. This helped the handling and makes it one of the safest non-swaying motorhomes I have ever driven. With the Banks Power system we can now keep up with anything we need to on the road.

We were horrified to find out about 5 thousand miles later that both side front shocks had sheared off at the bottom. We had to replace them at very short notice on the road and have had the standard P30 shocks fitted until the original parts arrive.

Has this happened to anyone else?

The coach drives very similarly with these and they look alot beefier to me. Does any one know why these were not spec? Are there any implications of keeping the P30 shocks.

The ride maybe seems a little more "van like" but at speed on the freeway it is the same.

I would be delighted to share our experiences of rebuilding this coach with anyone. We have learnt alot.

Very best wishes to all

William and Naomi Henshall
willi@mhenshall.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1931_internet_sat_airstream_side_smpic.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	85  
williamhenshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 08:37 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

I would love to see the interior!! I am awaiting delivery of a 1989 370le very much like yours (except mine is on a Ford 460 chassis). Yours is a beautiful coach!
eraffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 03:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
didn't know Airstream used Ford chassis...
love to see posted photos of the inside of both of yours ....
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 06:43 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Alan -

I didn't think so either - still am awaiting delivery - so I haven't been able to physically see it. I thought the dealer initially had said Chevy 454, but when I asked him about any problems with the Chevy, he said that it was built on a Ford 460 chassis. . . I asked if he was sure, and he said "yes". We'll see - I still have my doubts (he isn't an Airstream dealer . . . )
Old 04-13-2002, 08:06 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If my memory serves, I believe that all of the classic motorhomes are built on the Chevy chassis.

There is a 95 that came on the Spartan Diesel Pusher chassis.

The confusion may be coming from the B190 model of van camper that Airstream made. It is on the Ford chassis and many of them are equipped with the 460.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 08:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I'll let you know as soon as I get it . . . hopefully s-o-o-n. The dealer replaced the carbuerator before it left his lot (on HIS dime), so that was the delay. It left Michigan on 4/10 . . .
Old 04-13-2002, 09:05 PM   #7
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Looking at the front rims, it's not a chevy.
I am so curious, is someone driving the rig to California? And how can you stand the wait?
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 09:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I thought it was a Chevy, too, but he kept insisting Ford . . . Oh, well . . .

A company that delivers motorhomes for the dealer is driving it out here. Hopefully, they won't use the "facilities" en route . . . And, NO, I cannot stand the wait!!!!!

But at least I get a free carbeurator . . .

BTW - I am curious, how many years did they make the 370? As far as I can tell - it was just one (1989). Why did they stop? Problems?! Later it was no more than 36 feet long . . . hmmm.

Makes me nervous . . .
Old 04-13-2002, 09:46 PM   #9
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
I bet the 370 lenght is directly related to using the Ford chassis.
The best way to learn to drive it, would be a trip to LA in rush hour traffic.
At least that is what Charles told me at the M7Rally. He drove his 1989 345LE all over Houston, the day he got it.
When I started driving Airstreams, I had to learn to look out for a new and unknown hazard. Not to bottom out the rear. Many gas stations and parking lots have a hump, which will cause you to bottom out on your receiver hitch (or worse, the gas tank). After a while, evaluating the road ahead, becomes part of the routine.
Because of this weakness, the condition and proper operation of your rear air bags is extremely important.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

How can I tell if anything is wrong with the rear air bags? Will I feel it in the way the motorhome drives? Any preventive measures to maintain air bags?
Old 04-13-2002, 10:13 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

BTW - which is "better" - Ford chassis or Chevy?

What are pros/cons of each of them?

(I misread your post, Peter, I initially thought you said that after looking at the rims that it WAS a Chevy - now I reread and understand it is a Ford . . . )
Old 04-14-2002, 07:35 AM   #12
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
I would think that your rig has a low pressure warning switch. And, yes, after you get to know the beast, you will feel changes immediately.
On the chevy chassis the airbags are located directly inbetween the rear axle and the tag axle,
easy to be seen. The pre-trip kick tire routine should always include air bag inspection.
After market pressure gauges are readily available and can be incorperated in the system by a professional.
I have heard and seen that the little calvin dude has strong opinions about fords and chevys.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:13 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

THANKS, PETER!