Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Victoria , British Columbia
Hello Everyone- MoHo Parts Needed

Hi all,

My Airstream 290 M H is currently up in the hoist in a Transmission Auto shop and the Mechanics there are having trouble finding a RAG JOINT/ STEERING COUPLER ?

I am in Victoria B.C. can anyone help? does anyone have one around or know where I can get one URGENTLY !

Thanks

Katoline
katoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Rock Auto or Mills Supply. regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
When asking for parts, please try to remember to give us your model year and motor.

I inputed 1983 P30 but I'm pretty sure the part number will be the same.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...olet/model/p30

Try NAPA auto parts

NAPA Victoria

555 Ardersier Rd
Victoria, BC V8Z 1C8
Telephone: (250) 382-5184

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:44 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply . Much appreciated.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
One more:

http://www.classicperform.com/Chevy-Truck.htm

They were recommended to a shop when I was in your situation a few years ago. I don't find the part on their website, but might be worth a call.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Here's another source where I have found P30 truck parts...very responsive and a well organized search site
http://parts.royaloakschevy.com/default.aspx
chriscraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Update on my A 290 up on the hoist

Oh Blimey!

It sounds to me that my 1987 Airstream M H is having an engine rebuild!!!!!!!

Currently these are the things the Senior Technicians have found that need to be addressed urgently !

I put it in the shop because while doing a pre trip check, I found a leak at the transmission, ( which I thought was a hydraulic leak) and I found a crack in the exhaust pipe, and now the Airstream has been found to have major oil leaks, transmission was hot and has burnt out, steering coupler missing a tooth, differentials need work, front gasket headers leaking, internal gears need replaced, side and spider set ????? There has been lots of repairs and of "wiring cobbled together", spark plugs are black, engine oil is almost black.

I need some fellow experienced Air-streamers to tell me it is all going to be okay in the end !!!!!! I don't really understand it all but I am on a steep learning curve.

Prayers for my Airstream please . Thank you all! Taking this Airstream on I haven't decided if I am brave or reckless, But I love love love it !!! and would not NOT have bought it. I have only had it for 8 months!!!

It is amazing how these things get into our hearts and souls somehow !!!!

katoline
Old 03-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Time to take a step back. Some of this stuff sounds legit, some sounds like a mechanic who needs to make a boat payment.

If you have a cracked exhaust and/or an exhaust leak at the headers, that will be obvious and will need fixing.

"Almost black" oil and black plugs? Change the oil, get a tuneup and maybe a carburetor rebuild, then see how it runs and how much oil it burns.

Cobbled wiring is a fact of life for these coaches, think of it as a learning opportunity.

On the transmission and differential, if neither was displaying symptoms of failure (weird shifting, noises or binding in the rear axle), change fluids and/or get a second opinion.

It's a Chevy truck. It is not going to fall apart all at once. Best of luck.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:01 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Thank you for your level headed advice ! It's all a learning curve for me!
Old 03-05-2016, 05:41 AM   #10
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I'm a little surprised brakes, bearings, suspension and steering aren't being mentioned by your shop.

From personal experience; we picked up our Argosy after a 10month rebuild by an Airstream shop, after they gave the 'mechanicals' a clean bill of health, only for the brakes to fail, and for it to spend another 14 weeks in another shop replacing all the parts which had the first had 'wiped with a cloth and said they look OK'.

Personally if you MH is suffering from a lack of previous maintenance, then I would not be going anywhere until those parts are removed, inspected, serviced.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:25 AM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
You mean "senior, get as much money out of them as you can".

@OP

The boys are right, you need to get that coach out of the shop right away and take stock of what you have, or don't have; what NEEDS work and what can wait; what work you can do and what you will need others to do.

Do plugs, spark plug wires and oil change. Get the engine steam cleaned if the oil leak origin can't be determined; my guess is either rocker cover gaskets or oil pan gasket. You could replace the rocker and oil pan gasket yourself.

Martins right, it sounds like they went straight to their bread and butter, transmissions, and decided to throw an engine in for good measure. What else has been allowed to fall into disrepair, like the brakes?

What you need to do is find someone on Kijiji or somewhere that is a retired heavy duty or even light duty mechanic. Pay them cash to come over and do a systems check. Clean out old brake fluid, maybe replace master cyclinder for good measure, clean and service calliper slides and do what other work can be done in your driveway.

The main thing is to watch him do it and learn.

If the tranny does need work I would find an Allison dealer to hotshot the GM 475 that is in it. Those transmission boys may have never seen a 475 before. The Allison boys have stronger parts for it.

Cheers
Tony

PS If you pop over to SSI anytime soon, pop in and say hi to my folks.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 03-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
X2

Keep calm and carry on. If you drove it to this shop and it wasnt smoking like the devil, you didnt hear grinding noises coming from the rear end, it stopped when you applied the brakes, and would go when you pressed on the gas then all is not lost. With all the work theyve told you it needs (and it may), a second opinion is in order. If the shop is worth a dang, they should understand that.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:53 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
I'm a little surprised brakes, bearings, suspension and steering aren't being mentioned by your shop.

From personal experience; we picked up our Argosy after a 10month rebuild by an Airstream shop, after they gave the 'mechanicals' a clean bill of health, only for the brakes to fail, and for it to spend another 14 weeks in another shop replacing all the parts which had the first had 'wiped with a cloth and said they look OK'.

Personally if you MH is suffering from a lack of previous maintenance, then I would not be going anywhere until those parts are removed, inspected, serviced.
Oh, they are doing brakes, steering suspension and steering..... as well.

I took it to this shop on recommendation from a trusted source.

I sure appreciate all the feedback and comments and will take the advice given.

Will keep you posted . Thanks

Katoline
Old 03-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Yep, I drove it in unaware of anything other than a leak & cracked exhaust pipe. I asked for tune up & oil change... . & to do a safety / mechanical check before I head out on a long road trip.

I should have known ... I read on here all the time every seemingly small job, will turn into a bigger job,take longer and cost more...oh well.... life is much more fun now that I have an Airstream .
Thanks again to everyone! It's great to get the moral support.
Katoline
Old 03-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #15
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
She hasn't got the bill yet.....