Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Austin , Texas
Heater hose diagram

'87 345 and I am trying to find a diagram of how the different heat exchangers are plumbed.
Just guessing it should go from the radiator to the under dash exchanger to the under couch-coach heater to the water heater and back.
I want to put valves in line to isolate different exchangers when something bad happens.
Does anyone make water manifolds to isolate the different heat exchanger circuits so they can be managed centrally?
Otherwise I'll just put valves in line before each device if I can get to them.
Suggestions?
gmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
Lake Luzerne , New York
New Member Too

I will be interested to learn how others respond. I very recently (early Jan.) purchased a 1991 300 LE and it has valves on two long lines leading from the radiator to the heater core. The engine on climbing large mountains out west came close to overheating, and I wondered if they were opened (they were in the closed position when I purchased the motorhome) would this have helped in reducing the potential for overheating. Good luck.
ADK Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Uxbridge , Ontario
On the front of the underseat heater is the on off pull cable that controls fluid to it, the on off switch, then it travels along the generater top to the water heater under the south seat... I don't know where it leads from there but I will know soon as ripping out heater... pictures to follow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a 2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	178431   Click image for larger version

Name:	a 3.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	178432  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hot Water Bench Seat Removed.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	178433  
rjetsrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
I added shut off valves to the heater hoses that are located under the dog house that go back to the heater under the couch and the water heater. My reason for doing that was in case there were any leaks while traveling and also to eliminate the heating of the water heater when the water heater tank is empty for instance when traveling and I still have it winterized.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
Lake Luzerne , New York
The values that I found are in the area of the passenger side wheel well. Gunner, do you think have them open all the time would assist with over heating? Thanks!
ADK Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
I don't have a problem with overheating, leave them closed all of the time. I only have the clutch fan for engine cooling when it starts getting too warm, brings the water temperature back down. If you have a problem overheating leaving them open would help, I just didn't like having the water heater being heated with no water or just a film of water when winterized.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
I installed a manual ball style valve in each hose from the engine. One is under the engine cover, the other is behind the hood. I can isolate the engine from the entire dash heater, aux heater, and water heater system in the event of a leak.
I normally leave them open.
Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
My rear heater sprung a leak and spewed anti-freeze all over the carpet, beds, and walls. It also steamed up quite badly while I was driving down the road and pulling over was not an option at the time. I never used the rear heater much, anyway, so I pulled the whole thing out along with all the hoses to it.
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
On our 310 I removed all of the hoses from the engine back to the aux heater under the couch and the water heater. The last thing I wanted was to have antifreeze smell inside the motorhome if one of the hoses started leaking.

Keyair posted (or was it someone else?) the chevy chassis service manual and in it there is discussion about making sure the hose from the intake manifold isn't closed of on it's return to the water pump. Apparently that circulation path is an important part of the cooling system.

I bought an H valve for installation in the Argosy. If you shut the heat off from the dash it actually bypasses the heater core and keeps the coolant flowing back to the engine.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Austin , Texas
I figured just make sure both hoses nearest the engine had a valve on them and all the water could be shut off to the dash, coach and hot water heater and recirculated without compromising the heating ability of the engine.
I would think that closing off both heater hoses would just cause a shorter recirculation path for the engine?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Austin , Texas
Thanks for everyone's input.
What appears to be a simple remedy sometimes turns into more so I appreciate the feedback.