Old 10-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
heater hose

After 24 years, the Silver bullet need new heater hoses. It takes about 50' and all the skin off the knuckles, plus two days of hard labor. While I was at it I replace the upper/lower radiator hoses and the water pump by-pass tube. I put 2 gallon of antifreeze and one gallon of distilled water in it before I ran out of water. Got to go buy more water, probably more antifreeze and some sealer for around the hoses before I'm done.
Think I need a blood transfusion and some skin-grafts now too.
That is a once in a life time experience!

choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky

Replacing the heater hoses is a job I am planning on tackling sometime in November. From the sounds of it its not going to be a job that I will enjoy .

Thanks for the heads up on what to expect

Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Brad, Good luck. I didn't re-plumb the heater under the couch, maybe later. Was running out of time before a road trip. The hardest part was trying to get a 5/8 hose onto the 3/4 nipple on the tank of the radiator. Was easy using a piece to 3/4 hose between the return "Y" and the radiator. All in all, about 50' of 5/8 hose, 5" of 3/4 hose, 2 gallon antifreeze, 2 gallon distilled water, 4 square inches of skin, and 1/2 pint of blood.
No pain, no gain ;<)
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote