Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Heater/AC control

The heater/AC control on my '94 LY is out of an early '80's K-car. The buttons work, as does the slide to select temperature. However, if you look at the way this control is made, when the slide is in the "cold" position, the mechanism presses a button which activates a vacuum line. That line is attached to a valve inline with the heater core intake, to shut the flow of engine coolant to the heater core, as the air conditioner is made operational.

So here is the issue I have. That vacuum line is either blocked or kinked somewhere (it snakes from under the dash on the driver's side to the hose feeding the inlet to the heater core outside the firewall on the passenger side) so that it does not activate the shut-off valve. Added to that, the mount of the actual valve on the mechanism seems broken and flops around, so it isn't worth the cost of yanking it out and replacing it.

As a fix, the vacuum-controlled valve was removed and a manual one put in in its place. That works just fine, but means that when I need to switch from air conditioning to heat or vice versa, I have to stop, open the hood, and manually open or shut the valve.

What I am looking for is either a 12-vdc solenoid-activated inline valve (so I can put a switch on the dash to open and shut the valve) or an equivalent "switch" that would use the existing vacuum-activated valve.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
You could always put in a manual valve with a cable control.
Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote