Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2005, 08:10 AM   #1
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Red face Heart Throb Exhaust

Just wanted to pass along a positive vendor experience to anyone considering adding headers or upgrading their exhaust.

Last April I purchased a set of headers, an H-Crossover Kit and an Exhaust Kit from Jeg's for my 345 MoHo. I installed everything last April and it's been working really well. Recently however one of the header reducers (a 3" collector into a 2 1/2" "flex" pipe developed a crack in a factory weld. My exhaust kept getting louder until the weld finally gave way.

Now out of warrantee (over one year), a call to Jeg's led me to the supplier: Heart Throb Exhaust (www.heartthrobexhaust.com). An email to Mike Forbes about my issue and he immediately put a replacement collector in the mail - no charge, no questions asked.

I have to say I thought I was going to be cooked on this one. Jeg's only option was to sell me different collectors which would have meant moving things around in the rest of my exhaust. Not a fun option.

This guy saved the day. It's nice to run into a vendor who actually provides good customers services

Again, for anyone interested, while they sell kits through JCWhitney, apparently they can direct sell kits for cars and trucks as well as "generic" kits for other applications (Motorhomes). Not sure on price but you can download their catalog and email Mike.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:19 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Good for you.
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
_

. , .
good to read about some tuner mods on the rigs!

hi swebster

good to read about someone doing some tuner mods....years ago i did thorley? headers/mandrel bent high flow stainless exhausts (early banks), ipd suspension with big chro/moly anti sway bars and a few other things.....really helped the airstream move and handle..... also removed the front bags/springs and went with a beefer coil without bags which firmed things, removed the floaty feel but without being too stiff.

anyway one the mods my mechanic suggested and did was to improve air flow in and around the engine area. he fabricated an 30" by 6-10" black plastic fin/baffle/spoiler that hung down from the chassis just behind the front fender/just in front of the suspension....basically below the tranny cooler and radiator area. as i recall it was very slightly convexely curved side to side and attached with a length of angle iron. i had "airstream" stenciled on it in silver, in the factory font/style. clearance didn't change since it was basically at the lower a arms level.

he claimed it would increase turbulence and air flow in the engine area and lower temps some all the way up to the insulated engine cover......i was skeptical but since he did such a good job with every other repair....well it really did work. my temps always ran 20 degrees or so cooler afterward and mpg improved 1-1.2mpg which may have been related to the header/exhaust mods too. i tried driving around with the dog box open before/after and there really was more air moving too!

of course folks would ask me "what's that flap hanging down there" and i'd explain it was and special airstream spoiler that kept me from getting airborne at higher speeds!

just some things to consider now that you've done the headers....

cheers
2air
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:04 AM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
special airstream spoiler that kept me from getting airborne at higher speeds!
Brilliant!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's really great when companies stand behind their gear that way. I can only think of a handful that have this kind of customer service....and if I limit it to only Airstream related stuff, I able to count it on one hand.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote