Old 08-31-2009, 05:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
MSD Ignition

MSD is a brand name.

I believe it comes from the fact that it is a multi-strike,(MS), ignition system, if the computer senses a mis-fire it will strike that cylinder again in a nano-second.
Had a MS ignition on our 454 Burb, noted for their lumpy idle, smoooothed it right out.
Bob, I was under the impression that the MSD gave multi spark at all times in aid of more complete burn of the fuel air mixture. I didn't think it was dependent on sensing a knock. But then again I'd have to re-read all their stuff.
I can attest to the gain in performance with the MSD installed though.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:27 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1984 31' Airstream310
on the road , CA and OR this summer!
that sounds like the next upgrade...
but yes i have it on the "self learning" setting with a sharp eye on the temp. reading
you caught me..i am a dork and do usualy travel with it plugged into the laptop the whole drive, i'll probably buy a chepo laptop just for's been tested and is compleatly accurate. retroteck has future upgrades for milage, and efficiency planed for the software. they were really helpful and got to know my father and i by name on the phone during the installation...we needed all the patient help we could get
but it was quite easy.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
my AS Moho blog
for the love of all vehicles round and shiny

MaryContrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:53 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
Renton , Washington
Actually the way the MSD box works is that it gives three sparks per cylinder at every fire below three thousand rpm's. They do this because it is easier than trying to achieve one long duration spark. At 3,000 rpm there simply is not enough time to do 3 multiple sparks so it does change over to one spark but does have a longer duration. Personally I think giving the year of your MH I would definitely have headers and a good flowing exhaust installed on it. I would look at replacing the carburetor if it is original because I'm sure it's wore out if it is. It more than likely has a Rochester carb on it and they are never good candidates for rebuilds so I would suggest not having it rebuilt or buying a reman but rather purchase a brand new Holly and go that way. Fuel injected would be good and dependable depending on the system. Carburetors are too though and alot of times replacing an aged and worn out carburetor can make all the difference too. As a mechanic that has worked on alot of different vehicles and also race cars I recommend a set of good quality headers, a Holly 4 barrel carb, and have the ignition system gone through also. If it's the original distributor it could be worn out and the timing chain could also be worn out causing inconsistant timing.
nate3172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I replaced the (shot) carb with the GM (from toubo city)TBI in 2004. Did it myself. Cost $1750. Went from 4mpg to 6.5mpg. Went from having the padel to the floor all the time, not enough power for the cruise to maintain 60mph on the interstate to being about to run 80mph pulling the car. The 'Silver Bullet' already had the full Banks system on it when I bought it in '98.
I driven her about 23000 miles with the TBI and saved about $5000 in gas. Is a $1700 TBI worth the money?

choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote