Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2002, 01:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Grease Gun for MH??

Since I change my own oil, I guess I better be lubing it also. While under my 345, I noticed those fittings that my Dad and I used to screw a grease gun to and lube our old Chevy.

Is it a standard fitting? Is there anything special I should get when I procure my grease gun? Any special grease?
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 03:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The fittings are zerks and the end you grease is standard. The come in 0-45-90 degree angles. The end screwed into whatever will have different thread sizes.

I would get 2 grease guns, one with a solid tube on the end, the other with a flexible hose. The one with the solid tube will be easier to use, but sometimes you are going to need the hose for the flexibility. Then you will wish you could grow another hand.

I use any good grade of chassis grease. They all seem to be pretty much the same and I figured it is most important to keep clean grease in them.

Wipe the zerk before you grease it, if not it will force the dust and dirt inside with the grease. Watch for movement in what you are greasing, it could be a sign of wear. Grease until you see clean grease start to come out then wipe the excess, it retains dirt. All fittings must take grease, if not you should find out why. Sometimes it is as simple as the zerk being rusted closed.

Parts stores all carry a variety of zerks. If one is really impossible to get to, think about changing to one with a different angle.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zerks.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1080  
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 04:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I have found that some of the end fittings which fit over the zerk will lock on thereby giving you the ability to operate the grease gun with both hands if using the flexible hose. That sure comes in handy when you don't have a third hand.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 04:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
I am assuming that the threaded end goes on the tube of the grease gun. The round male end pops into the fitting on the MH?

How many spots are there? Are they pretty easy to spot?
Old 12-21-2002, 04:40 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Assumptions can be dangerous.....

Actually it is the other way around. The threaded part mounts permanently to the chassis and the grease gun end slips over the bulb fitting. There is a spring loaded ball valve in the round end to let in but not out the grease.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 04:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Good advice above, I also will "poke" at the rubber bulb that the grease fills to see if it needs some added. If it looks deflated, or no grease shows around the joint, add some. I also wipe the fittings off and use wd-40 to clean it so i can getthe accumulated crap off before i force it into the grease fitting.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 05:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
This is a lot easier to do underneath it (yea right) than it is sitting inside, but here goes:

Upper and lower ball joints both sides 4
Inner and outer tie rods 4
Control arm bushings 4 each side
Drag link 2
Idler arm 2
Drive shaft u joints 1 each
Prop shaft slip joint 1 each (these may be turned up & out of sight)
Mine doesn't have rear spring shackle zerks, but some may.

I don't have a bogie axle, some one else will have to answer that.

How many did I miss?

John
Old 12-21-2002, 05:09 PM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
best 30 bucks

this grease gun gives you true one handed operation, comes with straight pipe and a 2 foot hose.

best 30 bucks i ever spent!

available at sears.

with 100 psi of air i have not found a zerk that will not take grease!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 11:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

word of caution

while the air powered grease gun mentioned previously is great for greasing ball joint type fittings, I would caution users to be very careful if using to grease bearings with seals as it may blow the seal if not used properly for this application.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 04:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
My inquiry is limited to the P-30 chasis. Are there any seals that I need to know about on it? I don't plan on using it for my mini-van as Honda does all the service on it.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Turn the air down to 40 or 50 lbs for normal use. If you get a frozen zerk turn it up and see if it will break loose, turn it back down before greasing. There shouldn't be any seals that it will bother on regular pressure, these are greased commercially with air operated pumps.

John
Old 01-02-2003, 06:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Well I did get a grease gun. I went the cheap route and got a $12.99 gun at Advanced Auto Parts. My 12 year old son and I crawled around under the MH and played 'spot the zerk's' for an hour or so. We lubed as many as we could find. We went through a roll of paper towels wiping the zerks and the joints before and after. We only had a few that gae us trouble. I think we used a whole tube of grease! I did spend an extra $5 for a 12" flexible hose. The flexible hose is a must have. Next stop, Chiropractor!

I also changd the dino oil and filter in the engine. New air filters for the engine and generator. I could not get the plug out of the Kohler generator. It have a funny 1/2" socket opening. I'll need a special tool to get that plug out!