Old 05-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
My wife and I installed a new AC on our 1979 last summer. We backed the truck up to the side of the trailer which had the AC in the bed on a wood pallet. I put a couple of screws in the base of the AC through existing holes to the pallet so it was secured. I put a ladder in the back of the truck and leaned it onto the awning at about a 40 degree angle and wedged the bottom into the back of the truck bed, putting the pallet onto the lower part of the ladder like a sled. I tied a rope through the pallet, threw it over the camper and wrapped it around a tree on the other side of the camper. I then put myself, sitting right behind the top of the ladder with feet against the awning tube. I then slowly slid the AC up the ladder while my wife kept the rope tight (slightly loose but tight enough that if the AC came loose from my grip, it would go far). We got it up without any slipping. Since the ladder was sitting on the awning tube, the pallet came up and over the top of the roof fine. Once on the roof, I put towels underneath the pallet so no scratching the roof.

We also took the old AC down in pieces before we put the new one on the roof. I also removed the old inside bracket and test fit the new one just to make sure the hole was the right size before taking the old one off the roof. I didn't want to have a hole in the roof and a non-fitting AC to deal with. Being a skinny, 120 lb man, I was nervous about getting it onto the roof and went through the process over and over in head before hand. It went up so easy, I was surprised. Good luck.

Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
The process you used is similar to what I'm thinking. I have a fence line about 15 feet from the side of the MH. I was going to put the base of my ladder down along that fence and then place the top of the ladder on the roof with padding where the ladder will contact the roof. Should give me about a 30 degree angle on the ladder. I'll tie a rope around the box and loop the rope over the top of the MH. My wife will be on the other side to help me up with it. Once the new AC is on the roof I'll unbox it. The entire top unit only weighs 74lbs so I don't think it's going to be too difficult to hoist it up. The old Penguin unit is going to be a little harder to wheel around but gravity is in my favor on that one. I figure once I know that the new unit is up and working I'll just slide the old one down the ladder with my wife on the rope to help steady it. Probably over thinking this. Not expecting any issues with the existing opening not fitting since both the old and new AC units are Dometic and specify the same opening size.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Brisk II vs Penguin II

Iím in the middle of a complete remodel on a 73 Overlander. I removed the original 200 lb AC with the integrated drip pan base. About 100 rivets on the roof to cut off and drill out, not counting the 20 or so miss-drills courtesy of the 70ís stoners that worked at the Cali AS factory. What a pain! In an attempt to exorcise a little frugality, I went with a Brisk II instead of the Penguin II that I wanted. I was never happy with the look, which was made worse with the additional ĺ inch in height from the auxiliary drain kit. The Brisk put out a lot of air in every direction except forward due to the poor design of the interior air handler. This shouldnít be a problem using it as the front unit on your coach. Six weeks later, the vintage trailer gods reared their heads when the two year old Coleman on my Boles Aero died. So, I took this as a sign and ordered a Penguin II for the AS, ($620 delivered from RV Supply plus $106 for the ADB) and moved the Brisk to the Boles. Huge fun, I was so looking forward to getting back on top the AS. Iím much happier now, the Brisk looks fine on the big boxy Boles and the Penguin was a much better installation on the Overlander. The Brisk cools the 32 ft Boles much better than the Coleman Mach ever did, even with the issue with forward air movement. All these units were 13,500. The DB Meter app on my IPhone registers about 72 DB with both the Brisk and the Penguin on high cool. Iím fortunate that I have access to a tractor with a front loader attachment that took care of the lifting. Be careful with that ladder thing! The Brisk puts out plenty cold air and has three fan speeds. It should work fine for you.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
92landyacht,
Sounds like you have a good plan. One thing I would watch out for is if the box the AC is in doesn't have something to keep it on the ladder, maybe get 2x4s and screw them to the edges of the box lengthwise so the box can't slide off the side of the ladder.

The new AC we installed was a low profile Mach II Coleman. We painted the shroud silver to match the camper. We're happy with it as it is much quieter than the 1979 box that was on it.
Proud to be Air #37137
Old 05-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
OK, the AC is installed. I didn't get the install pic I wanted to because the camera was in the wife's car.

Here's how it went: I unbolted everything that was holding the top unit on. Once the inside controls were disconnected, the only thing holding the top unit onto the roof was three very LONG bolts. Two at the front and one at the rear. Once those were out the inside frame was off and the top unit should just pull away. At least that's what I thought. The reality was, that after some 25 years of sitting on the roof, the gasket sealed it self to the fiberglass roof. I used a large putty knife and a hammer to go around the seal and break it loose. Seems that AS used some form of sealant tape along with the Dometic seal to bond the top unit to the roof. After going around everything I could reach I was able to break loose the unit from the roof but not without some minor fiberglass damage. Used some fiberglass repair resin and cloth to fix to minor rips in the fiberglass roof. Took about 30 minutes to repair my minor screw up.

There was NO drip pan between the original Dometic Penguin that needed to be removed or reused on my 1992 36' Land yacht.

I used an extension ladder to get the old unit down. Not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Getting the new unit up top wasn't that hard either. Just don't unbox it until you get it up. It slide up the ladder fairly easily. Once it was started I simply used my head to push it up while using my hands to steady it. Took all of 15 minutes to get the old one down and the new one up.

I unboxed the new top unit and used the bottom cardboard piece to slide it to the opening. Once there I just tilted the unit up on it's rear side and positioned it in line with the opening. I laid it down and matched it up as best as I could. I then went inside and was able to get it exactly centered by pushing up and moving it in place.

The opening from the original unit was a perfect fit for the new one. The original electrical supplied was perfect as well. The new inside unit is slightly wider but also shorter at the front so some of the impressions from the original inside unit are visible.

I found that AS didn't do a great job at framing out the original opening. The left a pretty large gap of no framing between the top a bottom luan. I used some 1.5" x 3/4" hardwood to finish out the framing to provide better clamping along the seal area.

All and all it was a fairly easy job. I was able to take the original unit down without any damage. Once fired up on the generator the new 15000 btu unit cooled the front of our 36' AS down to 71 degrees from 80 degrees in less then 20 minutes. Not as loud as our original unit either. Not supper quiet but not so loud you can hear the TV when on full fan. Yes, the look is not stock from the outside, but quite frankly I care less about that then functionality.

Total cost delivered to my door... $629.00. Everything needed was included. Top unit, inside controls and all mounting hardware. Now I have a working AC with a 2 year warranty and piece of mind. Can't beat that.

When the wife gets home I'll see if I can take some pics.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Congrats! Glad the install was relatively uneventful. I had forgotten until you just mentioned but the framing wasn't very good in ours between the aluminum outside and inside skin either and we had to reinforce as well.
Proud to be Air #37137
Old 05-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowmans View Post
Congrats! Glad the install was relatively uneventful. I had forgotten until you just mentioned but the framing wasn't very good in ours between the aluminum outside and inside skin either and we had to reinforce as well.
Even worse when the roof and the headliner is just fiberglass and luan and not aluminum. The original opening had collapsed between either side of the joists since all that was supporting it was the inner and out luan. The 1.5" oak boards fit in exactly. The boards are usually marked as 2"x1" but in reality they measure 1.5"x3/4" and are exactly the correct size needed to go between the roof and ceiling luan.