Old 01-27-2004, 01:43 PM   #1
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Getting quotes from AS dealers...

I am about to get quotes for a 19' CCD. I have two questions:

1. I plan on getting three to four dealers quotes. Is it unfair or unethical to name competeing dealers to those dealers that I am working with and pit them against each other? Though my decision will be based on a decent price, attitude, service dept. and honesty will play a big part for me.

2. Correct me if I am misinformed, but I believe 20% below list with nothing to trade is about the best to hope for? I will need a hitch, so maybe this is negotiable.

The Prodigy brake controler I would pick up at Camping World.

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 04:11 PM   #2
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois

Having just gone through the process, here is what I did.

I found out what I exactly wanted and hit all three with it. I did make changes along the way, asking each dealer to do a bit of research so that no single dealer was answering all my questions. I verified all answers from the factory as some dealers are not all that good with product knowledge (go figure). When I talked to the three, I let them know that I was shopping, but refused to name any dealers by name at this point. This was basically round one. Being the customer you have the power, a good dealer will not take shopping personally. A good dealer/salesperson will show why they are the best. If they do take things personally, itís a pretty good sign that the dealer and/or salesperson may have issues. There is nothing unethical about shopping at all. You hold the cards as the customer and as long as you keep it above board you will have played the game well.

Round two is where the highest ones started to fall off the scope when I asked if they would be interested in matching or beating prices. At this point, having the info in hand in the form of an emailed or faxed sales quote was helpful. I did mention dealers by name at this phase and when speaking to the dealers made it clear that the info was in hand and I would be willing to share it with them. It's kind of like playing poker at this stage. You can bluff a bit and maybe not get called on it...or get called and loose face a bit and possibly have to move to a different dealer. I honestly did bluff a bit, but not much and was not called on it. I did ask that the pot be sweetened and the winning dealer seemed more than willing to dance.

It then came down to two and as I've PMd you, the one pretty much shot himself in the foot.

There are peddlers and there are sales people. The sales person will never talk smack about other dealers. They will offer you a price and negotiate in good faith as is part of the process. When a dealer starts to talk smack like "You know those dealers that low ball might not be in business long...." you should run, not walk as more times than not when I've come across this mentality, it's almost always been a bad sign.

Remember, you owe the dealer nothing. It's the dealer's job to meet your needs not the other way around. You are the consumer and as such it's not your job to sell, its theirs.

On the old coach I got about 17%. On the new one, including trade differences that the dealer met, I got about 12%.

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
Cartoon Character
2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
That sounds about right.

My shoppiing was a bit more brief. I gave two dealers a shot at my business and didn't tell them anything about shopping around.

I figured a smart dealer would already have this figured out.

Well, the smart dealer offered me a 20% discount right up front. The other guy offered a generous 9% discount and wanted to charge me some outrageous sum for the pre-delivery inspection and walk through.

That was enough for me. If the two quotes had been reasonably close ... I would have negotiated further. But I now had a very bad feeling about the highball dealer and decided I didn't want to deal with him ... no matter what the price.

Every dealer and every deal is different. Good luck!
WBCCI #3405 ó Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
North Central , Texas
We just closed a deal (1.5yrs. in the making) on a Safari-25. He offered 20% on a 25-Classic. Technique similar to Silvertwinkie. We paid 15.7% below (+ pwr. jack) MLP. No trade.
P.S. The one dealer (of over 7 we visited during the process) who would NOT deal called this week and said "they are leaving A/S & are clearing out their stock". The final clearance price he quoted was only 16% off MLP. Go figure....
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:08 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
A sale price of 20% off of list, with NO charge for PDI, is a very fair deal. When purchasing my Airstream, I spoke with numerous dealers. Some were more than willing to deal in the 20% ball park and others accused me of lying saying that there was not one dealer in the country who would sell a coach that cheap. I obviously stopped dealing with the ones who thought my numbers were so crazy.

Regarding the brake controller and hitch, I was honest and upfront with my dealer and told him about the best prices that I found and he was more than willing to match the price. In fact, he beat the best prices which I had found on the Internet.

From my experience, there are some dealers who really appreciate your upfrontness and others that just want to tell you how you are making up stories.

I ended up purchasing mine from a dealer who was more than happy to discuss everything and I couldn't be happier with the purchase.
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote