Old 11-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
boca raton , Florida
My 89 345 was fitted with a gearvendor OD when new according to the logs. The unit died a couple of months ago, so I contacted GV. They replaced the main gear box with a rebuilt for $1,000. I think the price is only for those with existing units. The unit is well worth it's price if you travel much. At 62 mph, I'm running about 2500 -2600 rpms. When set on automatic it kicks in and out at 40mph. I manually turn it off on up-grades. Trans temp usually holds at about 190 degrees, but in traffic with ambient temps in the 90s I do have extra fans to manually turn on to keep the temp down.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #16
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I'll have a 0.75 finely gear if I ever get this 4L80E built and in the Silver Bullet. Guess I kind-a hijacked this tread. But a can of worms is what I've open! http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...old-69221.html

Old 11-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
I'll have a 0.75 finely gear if I ever get this 4L80E built and in the Silver Bullet. Guess I kind-a hijacked this tread. But a can of worms is what I've open! http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...old-69221.html

Your final gear ratio my be the same but for us with the origional 3 speed TH 400 the Gear Vendor gives us 6 forward speeds vs your 4 speed. That can make a big difference in the hills.

When do you figure you will close that can of worms and get the Silver Bullet on the road?

Cheers, Dan
Old 11-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #18
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Your final gear ratio my be the same but for us with the origional 3 speed TH 400 the Gear Vendor gives us 6 forward speeds vs your 4 speed. That can make a big difference in the hills.

When do you figure you will close that can of worms and get the Silver Bullet on the road?

Cheers, Dan
That's tough to say. I spend 2 hours at the parts store today just finding a transmission mount that will work.
The brake shoes in the e-brake? After two days of ordering the wrong ones? The parts guy was throwing parts, he was getting so mad.
Did get the right (I hope) e-brake cable. It's got the right ends, just hope it's long enough.
I'm still waiting on the transmission to be rebuilt with the tail shaft housing I search high and low for so I could have the e-brake I can't find shoes for.
Glad I have a dry, warm barn to work on it.
Of course with a th 400 you can use a gear vendor. I had a Allison 545, gear vendor don't work on a 545. I could spend $2000 and rebuild the Allison or spend somewhere around $3500 and have an overdrive/load-up transmission.
Can't wait till I turn the motor into a long stroke 496 (or maybe a 513)
That and I'm crazy!
mel
Old 12-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Gear Vendor Installation Pictures

Here's my notes on installing the GV. I like the ability to drop RPM's on the flats and keep the noise down. If I could keep a lighter foot on the gas I would be getting better mileage!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gear Vendor Field Install.pdf (3.36 MB, 112 views)

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:39 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Spring , Texas
GearVender comments- Luv UM!

We have one on our coach, it was on it when we bought it. A year after we bought it, we took my Daughter and two grand kids from here in Houston to Disney Land in Florida. We kept close records of milage and gas purchases and MPG came in at 10.3 Mpg. Right after we got it we took a trip to El Renio OK. and back and didn't use it because I didnt understand at the time how to. What we got was 8.1 MPG. The main thing I like about it is once turned on Auto its fully automatic. The red Auto light stays on and when you get to the shift point it goes out and the green enguage light comes on. From that point on untill you hit the foot switch to turn it off it shifts from Drive on the chassis transmission to overdrive on the GearVendor unit. You dont have to press a button on the dash or twittle with the chassis transmission shift leaver when you drop below overdrive range. It works with the electronics in the Chevy transmission, This makes for a more pleasent drive particularly on long trips. The only problem I have had with mine is that were the heat exchanger is mounted in front just below the coach batteries shelf it has a tendancy in wet weather to pick up mud. When this happens the temperature gauge for it next to the controler will start creaping up. If you take long trips frequently they are definetly worth it, from a MPG and convince stand point.

Pat
Old 12-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:

Cheers, Dan
I keep the gearvendors on in the Hills also.
I think it is great for climbing the grades.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:32 PM   #22
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Breaks my heart that U.S. gear went under; not sure what I'll do if ours goes belly-up.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Breaks my heart that U.S. gear went under; not sure what I'll do if ours goes belly-up.
You will just have to move up to a Gear Vendors Mike.

Cheers, Dan
Old 12-31-2010, 10:26 PM   #24
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Love the gearvendors unit on the Ford. Working for Volvo all these years I kinda grew up with this Laycock overdrive unit though.. they have always been very dependable and easy to work on. Hoping to get many many miles out of the unit i have.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
I did remove the parking brake from the rear of the trans and fabricated a disc rotor and caliper set up on the drive shaft. I was having vibration problems with the old unit and decided to try something new, so far all is good.
Interesting!
Could you give some more info on this please?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Interesting!
Could you give some more info on this please?
I'll try to make a long story short. After a great deal of effort I determined there is what I'll call a harmonic vibration in the match-up or mis-match of my diesel engine to the transmission. It was transmitting through the trans mount to the coach. I removed the drive line brake drum and it lessened the vibration. Unlike your V 8 installation the in-line diesel is longer and the front mounts are much further forward thus putting a lot more weight on the trans mount. I approached the problem with two solutions, improve the trans mount isolation and lessen the weight on the mount.

First I fabricated a new cross member mount that allowed me to use two trans mounts to better carry the weight. This really eliminated the vibration and it was now very comfortable to drive the coach at highway speeds.

My next concern was if I put the overdrive in I would be adding weight back on the trans mount and having the big drum brake further back behind the overdrive just made it worse. Also I had a overdrive unit that did not have the rear housing for the drum brake. Gear Vendors wanted big bucks for the new housing.

I decided to use a disc brake rotor on the drive shaft. The caliper would mount to a cross member and the rotor was light and also would move some weight further back to the center bearing and off of the trans mount. I used a rear caliper that had an integral cable operated parking brake so I could use the GM cable actuator set up.

The end result is it worked. Vibrations are gone and the overdrive really helps with engine rpm management. Unlike gas engines the diesel only has about 1000 usable rpm range.

I hope this answers your question, if not just ask.

Cheers, Dan