Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #71
Rivet Master
 
noiva's Avatar
 
Chesapeake , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 626
Images: 46
Rob,

Not to fret ! This is definitely no contest . I was actually teasing Glen about his "harassment" on when I'm going to post the figures, pictures, etc . I know he follows this stuff, and I was just messing with him . I've got enough things to do to keep me occupied while I wait for the Blimp. If you happen to get yours first, I'd love to see your impressions. Our vehicles are as close as you get with these Classics, so we should see some similar results. My gearing is lower than yours, but there are less than 2 feet between my MoHo and yours. It's going to be very interesting to see what we find out . I do hope your installation goes faster than mine .

Best,
__________________

__________________
Tim
1987 30P
2003 Suburban 2500
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:30 PM   #72
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,190
So, are y'all going to duke it out at the strip, and see whose coach will go fastest in the quarter mile?
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #73
RivetAddict
 
swebster's Avatar
 
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,861
Images: 4
Pinks anyone?
__________________
Steven Webster
1986 Airstream 345 Classic Motorhome
AIR 1760
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:23 PM   #74
Rivet Master
 
noiva's Avatar
 
Chesapeake , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 626
Images: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
So, are y'all going to duke it out at the strip, and see whose coach will go fastest in the quarter mile?
I think I could take Rob at this point - with my super low gearing . After the GV is in full operation, he'll probably win since the overdrive will slow me down more . I can see the headlines now ...
__________________
Tim
1987 30P
2003 Suburban 2500
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member
 
wanderingeye's Avatar
 
1984 27' Airstream 270
Skaneateles , New York
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
Images: 6
Exclamation Gear Vendors Company

Gentlemen Anticipating Tim's results being very impressive I asked the local shop to run the numbers for me. This loal shop, just down the road here in rural finger lakes, is owned by the best most energetic mechanic I have ever had the pleasure to hire. Upon calling GV he was told that he would have to buy 2 GV tranys at retail before he could have the shop discount. I think this policy is an unfair restraint of trade that penalizes small independant mechanics. I have, in response, taken GV out of the number one slot on the modification list. Now in the number one slot is EFI. Gear vendors needs to end this discriminatory policy. Tom
__________________
wanderingeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #76
Rivet Master
 
noiva's Avatar
 
Chesapeake , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 626
Images: 46
Sorry to hear that. I actually got a 10% discount, suggested by GV themselves, and they did the PO through Camping World. There may be some logic on their part for this policy, but I must agree it seems rather unfair. It's unlikely many shops can sell and install any major quantity of these units, considering their somewhat limited usage - IMHO. By the way, are you saying EFI and in Electronic Fuel Injection? If so, that may help by eliminating a carb, but I would get no relief from the gearing problem.
__________________
Tim
1987 30P
2003 Suburban 2500
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #77
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,190
The units in my truck are from US Gear. These are semiautomatic units that require pushing a button to engage/disengage the drive. Retail prices seem slightly lower than Gear Vendors, but still comparable.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #78
Rivet Master
 
noiva's Avatar
 
Chesapeake , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 626
Images: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The units in my truck are from US Gear. These are semiautomatic units that require pushing a button to engage/disengage the drive. Retail prices seem slightly lower than Gear Vendors, but still comparable.
Terry,

My understanding is that with US Gear, they make one unit that's basically and underdrive, and another that is basically an overdrive. Is that correct, and does it explain why you have 2 on your truck? They were cheaper by about $200-$300 dollars when I did my research, but I ended up with going with GV because they were under/overdrive combined.
__________________
Tim
1987 30P
2003 Suburban 2500
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member
 
1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 210
Images: 4
Thumbs up Racing Aluminum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
Rob,

Not to fret ! This is definitely no contest . I was actually teasing Glen about his "harassment" on when I'm going to post the figures, pictures, etc . I know he follows this stuff, and I was just messing with him . I've got enough things to do to keep me occupied while I wait for the Blimp. If you happen to get yours first, I'd love to see your impressions. Our vehicles are as close as you get with these Classics, so we should see some similar results. My gearing is lower than yours, but there are less than 2 feet between my MoHo and yours. It's going to be very interesting to see what we find out . I do hope your installation goes faster than mine .

Best,
Tim:

OTOH, we could make a contest of this. I'll be glad to meet you half way between where we each live, say Richmond. Best quarter mile. PROVIDED everybody egging us on shows up and buys the fuel and beer. I carry 100 gallons of gas.....how 'bout you?


Rob
__________________
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #80
Rivet Master
 
noiva's Avatar
 
Chesapeake , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 626
Images: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley
Tim:

OTOH, we could make a contest of this. I'll be glad to meet you half way between where we each live, say Richmond. Best quarter mile. PROVIDED everybody egging us on shows up and buys the fuel and beer. I carry 100 gallons of gas.....how 'bout you?


Rob
I'm way more concerned about having the gas paid for than the beer . I carry only 80 gallons of gas, so it's either going to make me lighter, and therefore faster, or I'm going to run out of gas before we finish the first quarter mile .
__________________
Tim
1987 30P
2003 Suburban 2500
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:43 PM   #81
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
Terry,

My understanding is that with US Gear, they make one unit that's basically and underdrive, and another that is basically an overdrive. Is that correct, and does it explain why you have 2 on your truck? They were cheaper by about $200-$300 dollars when I did my research, but I ended up with going with GV because they were under/overdrive combined.
Tim, they are both 20% overdrive units, netting me a total of 40% overdrive. That is coupled with 4.10 gears
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #82
Rivet Master
 
GlenCoombe's Avatar
 
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,635
Images: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley

PS: My (rather vague) average MPG on the 350 is about 6. The last trip to Harrisburg (which is mostly uphill, both ways (!)) confirms this. If I assume I can get about 8 MPG with the GV, my guesstimate of the time to return on investment is 27,000 miles driven at $3.05 per gallon. Your results will vary!!
(Disclaimer: These calculations were done with my shoes on, and are subject
to revision at any time.)

Rob
ROI is return on investment Tim, sorry to accronym you...Julie works for the Air Force and everything is accronymed.
I wonder if it occured to you to ask them why they didn't just change the rear seal when they had the front drive shaft down?
I'm sure they want to road test the bus over a weekend or two but this is going on quite a while now isn't it?
When you get the bill you should check the bottom line and ask how much you think you should charge for overnights....then back out what they say!
__________________
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #83
Rivet Master
 
noiva's Avatar
 
Chesapeake , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 626
Images: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
ROI is return on investment Tim, sorry to accronym you...Julie works for the Air Force and everything is accronymed.
I wonder if it occured to you to ask them why they didn't just change the rear seal when they had the front drive shaft down?
I'm sure they want to road test the bus over a weekend or two but this is going on quite a while now isn't it?
When you get the bill you should check the bottom line and ask how much you think you should charge for overnights....then back out what they say!
Glen,
You've got to remember that I taught ELEMENTARY school for a living, so this adult terminology can be difficult for me . Believe it or not (and I'm beginning to wonder myself), this outfit has been around for most of my life, and they actually have a good reputation. When I asked what was going on with the seal, the guy actually told me his mechanic wasn't sure it was leaking since there hadn't been any weeping while they've had it . I assured him it was leaking, had caused the brake to smoke, and the fluid level in the differential was over an inch low from before . He reluctantly agreed that a seal could do a slow leak, and that they would get on it as soon as they finished the final touches on the controls for the GV . Not really much I can do but complain when I pick it up. I've learned from past experience it's best to prod somewhat gently until these shops finish . I should have never told them I had no trips planned this month .
__________________
Tim
1987 30P
2003 Suburban 2500
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #84
Rivet Master
 
noiva's Avatar
 
Chesapeake , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 626
Images: 46
Talking Gear Vendors Installed At Last!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe it, but I just picked up the Silver Blimp with the GV installed . Only took 3 weeks , but they did have to replace a rear axle seal . Have driven only home, about 15 miles on interstate, BUT it's 90 degrees today, I ran 60 mph @ 2200 rpms . That compares to just at or slightly over 3,000 rpms before. Initial impressions only, but first thing I noticed was QUIET . It was so quiet I could hear the wind leaking around the side windows I still need to redo the fuzzy channel on. (I have all the parts.) Very smooth shifting. Only really noticeable shift was into overdrive, and that was just a slight bump - way less than the shifting of the trany before. I'll take a longer run in the next 2 weeks and publish the comparisons to the figures I've already done for the pre - install setup. It really looks like this is the answer for my rig . I can actually run interstates now without risking blowing an engine, transmission, and all the stuff that rotates with them . I keep you posted.
__________________

__________________
Tim
1987 30P
2003 Suburban 2500
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gear ratios RVNUTTY Tow Vehicles 11 09-04-2004 04:38 PM
Opinions on Gear Vendors under/overdrive rdm Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 0 10-15-2002 11:36 AM
I finally went camping... Chuck General Appliance Topics 8 07-23-2002 01:42 PM
I finally got it home.... Chuck On The Road... 15 07-03-2002 12:11 PM
Gear vendors vs Us Gear LKappenman Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 0 04-18-2002 09:00 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.