Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #81
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
Terry,

My understanding is that with US Gear, they make one unit that's basically and underdrive, and another that is basically an overdrive. Is that correct, and does it explain why you have 2 on your truck? They were cheaper by about $200-$300 dollars when I did my research, but I ended up with going with GV because they were under/overdrive combined.
Tim, they are both 20% overdrive units, netting me a total of 40% overdrive. That is coupled with 4.10 gears
Old 08-12-2006, 10:14 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley

PS: My (rather vague) average MPG on the 350 is about 6. The last trip to Harrisburg (which is mostly uphill, both ways (!)) confirms this. If I assume I can get about 8 MPG with the GV, my guesstimate of the time to return on investment is 27,000 miles driven at $3.05 per gallon. Your results will vary!!
(Disclaimer: These calculations were done with my shoes on, and are subject
to revision at any time.)

Rob
ROI is return on investment Tim, sorry to accronym you...Julie works for the Air Force and everything is accronymed.
I wonder if it occured to you to ask them why they didn't just change the rear seal when they had the front drive shaft down?
I'm sure they want to road test the bus over a weekend or two but this is going on quite a while now isn't it?
When you get the bill you should check the bottom line and ask how much you think you should charge for overnights....then back out what they say!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #83
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
ROI is return on investment Tim, sorry to accronym you...Julie works for the Air Force and everything is accronymed.
I wonder if it occured to you to ask them why they didn't just change the rear seal when they had the front drive shaft down?
I'm sure they want to road test the bus over a weekend or two but this is going on quite a while now isn't it?
When you get the bill you should check the bottom line and ask how much you think you should charge for overnights....then back out what they say!
Glen,
You've got to remember that I taught ELEMENTARY school for a living, so this adult terminology can be difficult for me . Believe it or not (and I'm beginning to wonder myself), this outfit has been around for most of my life, and they actually have a good reputation. When I asked what was going on with the seal, the guy actually told me his mechanic wasn't sure it was leaking since there hadn't been any weeping while they've had it . I assured him it was leaking, had caused the brake to smoke, and the fluid level in the differential was over an inch low from before . He reluctantly agreed that a seal could do a slow leak, and that they would get on it as soon as they finished the final touches on the controls for the GV . Not really much I can do but complain when I pick it up. I've learned from past experience it's best to prod somewhat gently until these shops finish . I should have never told them I had no trips planned this month .
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Talking Gear Vendors Installed At Last!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe it, but I just picked up the Silver Blimp with the GV installed . Only took 3 weeks , but they did have to replace a rear axle seal . Have driven only home, about 15 miles on interstate, BUT it's 90 degrees today, I ran 60 mph @ 2200 rpms . That compares to just at or slightly over 3,000 rpms before. Initial impressions only, but first thing I noticed was QUIET . It was so quiet I could hear the wind leaking around the side windows I still need to redo the fuzzy channel on. (I have all the parts.) Very smooth shifting. Only really noticeable shift was into overdrive, and that was just a slight bump - way less than the shifting of the trany before. I'll take a longer run in the next 2 weeks and publish the comparisons to the figures I've already done for the pre - install setup. It really looks like this is the answer for my rig . I can actually run interstates now without risking blowing an engine, transmission, and all the stuff that rotates with them . I keep you posted.
AIR # 5648
Old 08-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Hurray!! Congratulations!! Wow!! 2200 @ 60 mph ...let's see..maybe 2450-2500 at 70 mph? You be cruzin'... keep us informed of the road testing. I'm in! I want a GV for my rig....
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
OTOH, we could make a contest of this. I'll be glad to meet you half way between where we each live, say Richmond. Best quarter mile. PROVIDED everybody egging us on shows up and buys the fuel and beer. I carry 100 gallons of gas.....how 'bout you?

Rob[/quote]
Count me in for the "Richmond MOHO" race!!!
Abe
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Tim,

Great news on the Blimp! It really sounds like you found the answer you were looking for.

Hope you wrote down the milage BEFORE you gave them the rig. They had time to take a really long trip.

Now, let the games begin. Why just go for a quarter mile in Richmond? Why not get into RIR and race them like NASCAR? Now that I would pay to see. Not do, but see.

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:49 PM   #88
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep
OTOH, we could make a contest of this. I'll be glad to meet you half way between where we each live, say Richmond. Best quarter mile. PROVIDED everybody egging us on shows up and buys the fuel and beer. I carry 100 gallons of gas.....how 'bout you?

Rob
Count me in for the "Richmond MOHO" race!!!
Abe[/quote]

Abe,

This contest has to be between "motorized" living quarters (Blimps). I've got a Suburban I could bring, but you'll have to pull your Airstream, and I wouldn't want to take advantage of anyone . You have a real advantage on Rob and me, since our engines are at least 16 years older than yours . However, if you buy our gas.........
AIR # 5648
Old 08-15-2006, 02:53 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Tim,
I am not worthy ( to race) I just wanted to watch!!!
I could be the starter and photographer!!!
No deal on buying gas, my 37.5 gal tank makes me cry...

Ps I hope you can come up to Highland Haven before we close Oct 15th!!!

Abe
Hensley Hitch
Old 08-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #90
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geophilist
Tim,

Great news on the Blimp! It really sounds like you found the answer you were looking for.

Hope you wrote down the milage BEFORE you gave them the rig. They had time to take a really long trip.

Now, let the games begin. Why just go for a quarter mile in Richmond? Why not get into RIR and race them like NASCAR? Now that I would pay to see. Not do, but see.

Steve
Steve,

I hope so. Won't really know until I run a decent distance, but sure ran better this morning.

I have the mileage. They did some "testing" to be sure it was tweaked in just right . Believe it or not, the owner actually did the job. He got so fascinated by the Blimp, he did the installation himself. Maybe it actually was worth the wait .

Now that I've put so much ($) into this thing, I think I'm going to have to pass on the racing. Wouldn't want to take advantage of anyone .

P.S. I haven't forgotten our PM. Just been totally swamped.
AIR # 5648
Old 08-15-2006, 02:58 PM   #91
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Tim,
I am not worthy ( to race) I just wanted to watch!!!
I could be the starter and photographer!!!
No deal on buying gas, my 37.5 gal tank makes me cry...

Ps I hope you can come up to Highland Haven before we close Oct 15th!!!

Abe
Abe,

I was afraid the gas deal wouldn't float . Where is Highland Haven? If it's close enough, maybe I could make that the test run .

Tim
AIR # 5648
Old 08-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Tim,
Just above Roanoke VA, close to the Blueridge parkway.
Here is the link

http://www.vahighlandhaven.org/pictures/page1.html

ZoominC6 and us stay up there alot, but we have met several forum members this summer!!
Do I hear forums rally!!!!???
Hensley Hitch
Old 08-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Tim,

Still, could you imagine 42 Classic MOHO's lined up on the track, the smell of gasoline and burning oil hanging in the air, the thundering of all that horsepower, the fear in the eyes of all participants (especially the co-pilots), the screaming of "raise the jacks and lower the antenna"? What a sight.

Half of the participant still under their rigs doing last minute adjustments.

"Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines"

Love it.

Steve.

ps Tim, no sweat on the PM. I only worry about the big stuff.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:58 PM   #94
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Half of the participant still under their rigs doing last minute adjustments.

"Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines"

Love it.

Steve.
And half of the engines won't start...
Old 08-15-2006, 05:38 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina

What have I started?

We might be interested in HH, AFTER the GV is in. It is, in round figures, about 6 hours drive, and 3K up from Port Republic, MD. Sounds like a good climb in the last hour..........

Rob
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:09 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Tim,
Just above Roanoke VA, close to the Blueridge parkway.
Here is the link

http://www.vahighlandhaven.org/pictures/page1.html

ZoominC6 and us stay up there alot, but we have met several forum members this summer!!
Do I hear forums rally!!!!???

I never knew that park was there. Thanks for the link. I can get there from Chesapeake in about 5 hours, I'm estimating. Forums rally sounds great! Rob and I can finally see all the stuff we written about on this place. I've got lots of family responsibilities right now(parents and an in-law), but I would do my best to get up there if I know when you're going to be there. Maybe we could even get Geophilist to come. He's just in Norfolk. I can see the shining silver and exhaust fumes now - not to mention the gas bills .

Do you have to be in WBBCI, or just own an Airstream? Probably on the site, but I forgot to check...
AIR # 5648
Old 08-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Do you have to be in WBBCI, or just own an Airstream? Probably on the site, but I forgot to check...[/quote]

Just an Airstream, but Airstream Classic Motorhomes get lots of attention! Heck, we have lots of forum members here in Virginia, I had better start a forum rally for VA and surrounding states.
Ps if you look at my members photos you will see some great sunsets from our door at HH.
Abe
Hensley Hitch
Old 08-15-2006, 08:09 PM   #98
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Just an Airstream, but Airstream Classic Motorhomes get lots of attention! Heck, we have lots of forum members here in Virginia, I had better start a forum rally for VA and surrounding states.
Ps if you look at my members photos you will see some great sunsets from our door at HH.
Abe[/quote]

Great set of pictures! I recognize many of those places. I think a VA Forum rally is a great idea. HH scenes are beautiful.

Thanks,
AIR # 5648
Old 08-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #99
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
What is the story on US 221 to HH? The directions on the link said it was not suitable for RV use. I take that to mean narrow, steep, and curvey. I tried Rt 58 to Hillsville once and I was expelling square aluminum bricks the whole way from Martinesville. 221 is not even as wide as 58, or so my map says.

It does look like it would be a great test for your GV unit Tim. Hard on the nerves though.

Steve
Old 08-16-2006, 10:09 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
What is the story on US 221 to HH? The directions on the link said it was not suitable for RV use. I take that to mean narrow, steep, and curvey. I tried Rt 58 to Hillsville once and I was expelling square aluminum bricks the whole way from Martinesville. 221 is not even as wide as 58, or so my map says.

It does look like it would be a great test for your GV unit Tim. Hard on the nerves though.

Steve
Steve,
The climb up US 221 is curvy and steep, but it is 3 lanes for the entire climb. (two up one down) The climb up the Blueridge Parkway is more gradual. But, the Parkway has its share of curves. Either way you have to climb Bent Mountain. (if you look US221 and the Parkway have almost the same curves) We have done both ways and I like to take our Overlander up via US 221 but I would rather go down via Blueridge Parkway. Either way it takes about 40 minutes from Roanoke/Salem
Hensley Hitch