Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Glen: No fear!! My Mechanic's mechanic is on vacation this next week, so I have been put back to the week of the 21st....

Tim: Use a bigger hammer!! works EVERY TIME on mechanics!

Rob
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:19 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Rob,

One of the ironies of this delay is that the shop had me wait almost a week before bringing it in because they didn't want to have responsibility for the Blimp for more than "2 or 3" days! Won't be long and it will be 2 or 3 WEEKS . I think someone at the shop is between apartments .
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #63
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Tim, I thought I would weigh in with a new tow vehicle I bought--it has TWO overdrives in it, bringing the total RPM down 40%, and the fuel economy up by about 25% It is an F250 diesel with a C6 and 4:10 gears. RPM @60 mph are 2900 in low low ranges, and 1800 with it in high high ranges. Fuel mileage is 12.5 using them, vs 10.2 not. Towing is great, I can run away from traffic at red lights, towing the trailer. I have to keep throttling back on the road, I keep edging up over 75, and have to drop back to 60.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #64
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Terry,

Thanks for the info. I've gotten several reports from people who have these various under/overdrives, and ALL of them rave about the resulting performance and mileage. Is your truck new? Is this an "add-on" gear splitter or what? I'll be thrilled if I can just run with the big dogs on the interstates .
AIR # 5648
Old 08-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #65
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
Terry,

Thanks for the info. I've gotten several reports from people who have these various under/overdrives, and ALL of them rave about the resulting performance and mileage. Is your truck new? Is this an "add-on" gear splitter or what? I'll be thrilled if I can just run with the big dogs on the interstates .
It is a 1986 model, with a 6.9 liter, and an AiResearch turbocharger, two transmission coolers, and enough gauges to rivval the cockpit of the space shuttle . Both overdrives are add-ons, one on the back of the transmission, and the other about a foot back in the driveline. It also has a limited-slip rear differential. I did get pissed at another driver on the Interstate, and went 90+ to pass him. Towing the trailer. Oops. I remembered it after I passed him. Running with the big dogs should no longer be a problem for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 036.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	24537  
Old 08-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
I figured it had to be in the 1980s with that C6 tranny. Somebody really did a number on that truck . Think maybe I can put a SECOND axillary tranny if the GV unit doesn't quite do it ? I've got Rob breathing down my neck with his 350 MoHo getting a GV, and Glen just loves to give me a hard time . Maybe by the fall I'll know how this thing runs. Maybe I could just pull it with YOUR truck!
AIR # 5648
Old 08-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #67
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I figured it had to be in the 1980s with that C6 tranny. Somebody really did a number on that truck . Think maybe I can put a SECOND axillary tranny if the GV unit doesn't quite do it ? I've got Rob breathing down my neck with his 350 MoHo getting a GV, and Glen just loves to give me a hard time . Maybe by the fall I'll know how this thing runs. Maybe I could just pull it with YOUR truck!
It only has a 24000 pound GCVWR . It has also been upgraded to F350 standards/ capacity.
We had to get a new one since the van's transmission crossmember mount rusted away, leaving nothing but good intentions holding it in the van . Obviously you can't tow a trailer that way. This truck is mucho better, even though it doesn't boast 9 passemger seating. Add that to the fact I no longer work for, umm, a tire manufacturing company that is set against Ford products, and the fact I used to work for Ford co., it was an easy sell.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
It only has a 24000 pound GCVWR . It has also been upgraded to F350 standards/ capacity.(quote)

I think we've got it ! My 370 weighs in at under 18,000 lbs. That leaves you with over 6,000 lbs for your truck. All I'd have to do is put the Blimp in neutral, put a set of tow bars on the front, hook to your truck, and follow you . Besides, I don't have anything against Fords - the Blimp is Ford powered and trans-missioned. (Of course it has a Gillig chassis, Chevrolet dash and cruise control, Airstream body, and all kinds of brand accessories that aren't even in business anymore .)
AIR # 5648
Old 08-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #69
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
It only has a 24000 pound GCVWR . It has also been upgraded to F350 standards/ capacity.(quote)

I think we've got it ! My 370 weighs in at under 18,000 lbs. That leaves you with over 6,000 lbs for your truck. All I'd have to do is put the Blimp in neutral, put a set of tow bars on the front, hook to your truck, and follow you . Besides, I don't have anything against Fords - the Blimp is Ford powered and trans-missioned. (Of course it has a Gillig chassis, Chevrolet dash and cruise control, Airstream body, and all kinds of brand accessories that aren't even in business anymore .)
The only problem I see with that scenario, is stopping. What kind of electric brakes do you have? The brake controller supposedly will actuate up to 6 axles. I don't know what the previous owner of this truck towed, but I don't think I would want to meet it on a dark Interstate!
Old 08-11-2006, 04:07 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Tim:
quote:
" I've got Rob breathing down my neck with his 350 MoHo getting a GV, and Glen just loves to give me a hard time"

I didn't know this was a contest.........Relax, have a beer. We just bred one of the retrievers last week, and in about 60 days we are likely to be up to our kneecaps in puppies. WHICH MEANS, if the shop diddles around with me the way yours has, it's likely to be November before I can try Zeppelin out on a real road trip.

Rob
Old 08-11-2006, 04:20 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Rob,

Not to fret ! This is definitely no contest . I was actually teasing Glen about his "harassment" on when I'm going to post the figures, pictures, etc . I know he follows this stuff, and I was just messing with him . I've got enough things to do to keep me occupied while I wait for the Blimp. If you happen to get yours first, I'd love to see your impressions. Our vehicles are as close as you get with these Classics, so we should see some similar results. My gearing is lower than yours, but there are less than 2 feet between my MoHo and yours. It's going to be very interesting to see what we find out . I do hope your installation goes faster than mine .

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 08-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #72
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
So, are y'all going to duke it out at the strip, and see whose coach will go fastest in the quarter mile?
Old 08-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #73
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Pinks anyone?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
So, are y'all going to duke it out at the strip, and see whose coach will go fastest in the quarter mile?
I think I could take Rob at this point - with my super low gearing . After the GV is in full operation, he'll probably win since the overdrive will slow me down more . I can see the headlines now ...
AIR # 5648
Old 08-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
Skaneateles , New York
Exclamation Gear Vendors Company

Gentlemen Anticipating Tim's results being very impressive I asked the local shop to run the numbers for me. This loal shop, just down the road here in rural finger lakes, is owned by the best most energetic mechanic I have ever had the pleasure to hire. Upon calling GV he was told that he would have to buy 2 GV tranys at retail before he could have the shop discount. I think this policy is an unfair restraint of trade that penalizes small independant mechanics. I have, in response, taken GV out of the number one slot on the modification list. Now in the number one slot is EFI. Gear vendors needs to end this discriminatory policy. Tom
wanderingeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #76
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Sorry to hear that. I actually got a 10% discount, suggested by GV themselves, and they did the PO through Camping World. There may be some logic on their part for this policy, but I must agree it seems rather unfair. It's unlikely many shops can sell and install any major quantity of these units, considering their somewhat limited usage - IMHO. By the way, are you saying EFI and in Electronic Fuel Injection? If so, that may help by eliminating a carb, but I would get no relief from the gearing problem.
AIR # 5648
Old 08-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #77
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The units in my truck are from US Gear. These are semiautomatic units that require pushing a button to engage/disengage the drive. Retail prices seem slightly lower than Gear Vendors, but still comparable.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #78
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The units in my truck are from US Gear. These are semiautomatic units that require pushing a button to engage/disengage the drive. Retail prices seem slightly lower than Gear Vendors, but still comparable.
Terry,

My understanding is that with US Gear, they make one unit that's basically and underdrive, and another that is basically an overdrive. Is that correct, and does it explain why you have 2 on your truck? They were cheaper by about $200-$300 dollars when I did my research, but I ended up with going with GV because they were under/overdrive combined.
AIR # 5648
Old 08-11-2006, 06:18 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Thumbs up Racing Aluminum!

Quote:
Rob,

Not to fret ! This is definitely no contest . I was actually teasing Glen about his "harassment" on when I'm going to post the figures, pictures, etc . I know he follows this stuff, and I was just messing with him . I've got enough things to do to keep me occupied while I wait for the Blimp. If you happen to get yours first, I'd love to see your impressions. Our vehicles are as close as you get with these Classics, so we should see some similar results. My gearing is lower than yours, but there are less than 2 feet between my MoHo and yours. It's going to be very interesting to see what we find out . I do hope your installation goes faster than mine .

Best,
Tim:

OTOH, we could make a contest of this. I'll be glad to meet you half way between where we each live, say Richmond. Best quarter mile. PROVIDED everybody egging us on shows up and buys the fuel and beer. I carry 100 gallons of gas.....how 'bout you?

Rob
Old 08-11-2006, 06:23 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley
Tim:

OTOH, we could make a contest of this. I'll be glad to meet you half way between where we each live, say Richmond. Best quarter mile. PROVIDED everybody egging us on shows up and buys the fuel and beer. I carry 100 gallons of gas.....how 'bout you?

Rob
I'm way more concerned about having the gas paid for than the beer . I carry only 80 gallons of gas, so it's either going to make me lighter, and therefore faster, or I'm going to run out of gas before we finish the first quarter mile .
AIR # 5648