Old 10-29-2006, 08:05 AM   #169
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
GV Speedo Problems

Rob,

I'm really sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with the speedo assembly on the GV install. I did not have any of that. Maybe the Ford cables are different, maybe the GV install was handled differently, who knows? Maybe that's why the shop kept the Blimp for 3 weeks. Any way, there is a transducer in the cable system that helps correct the new final drive ratio, along with a new speedo drive from GV that mounts in the GV unit. I don't have all those long cables and connections you're referring to. Did the shop call GV to check on these problems? Not trying to second guess them, but my shop did lots of phone time with GV, and were very complimentary of the info they got from them.

Any speedo shops near you. Any good shop should be able to take a look and fix the issues, but I'm sure you've already considered that. Again, sorry to hear about this, but it doesn't sound fatal - more of an install issue. Please keep us posted. I'm anxious to find out what the final diagnosis is.

Best,

AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #170
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
I am pleased to report that the speedometer now continues to work; but, as I know I have written before, we shall see how long it lasts. The problem was in the 5 foot long cable attached to the speedo. There is more than 1/2 inch play in the cable. This cable now has the greatest resistance to turning--it being the longest--but I presume that it can be (re-)lubricated by detatching from the speedo. We shall see.

Best to all,

Rob

Old 11-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #171
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley
I am pleased to report that the speedometer now continues to work; but, as I know I have written before, we shall see how long it lasts. The problem was in the 5 foot long cable attached to the speedo. There is more than 1/2 inch play in the cable. This cable now has the greatest resistance to turning--it being the longest--but I presume that it can be (re-)lubricated by detatching from the speedo. We shall see.

Best to all,

Rob
Did a 300 mile trip Friday-Saturday. The Gearvendors gives us an average of 9.1 MPG, moving a vehicle weighing about 17,000 lbs, varying between 45-65 MPH, mostly 55-60. Fairly hilly terrain.

Our pre-GV MPG was about 5.5-6.5 MPG.

Shifting is very smooth. Zeppelin has better climbing ability than previously. Engine braking is smoother.

45 MPH=about 1800 RPM
50 MPH=about 2000 RPM
55 MPH=about 2200 RPM
65 MPH=about 2500 RPM

Engine runs a little cooler because of the new headers and exhaust, as well as slower RPM. 55-60 MPH=about 195 F., with an ambient temperature of about 70-75 F. 65 MPH= about 205 F, same ambient. I presume that this engine has the stock thermostat, as I have not changed it, and everything else about this engine was stock before I put the electronic ignition in it.

Best to all,

R
Old 11-13-2006, 06:04 AM   #172
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I changed out my thermostat this spring and the change was just the relief I was looking for. Came out of the 200 degree range and into the 180-195 degree range at highway speeds. Heat is the enemy of so many components..... thermostat is a very cheap fix.
Do you know what your rear end ratio is? The change is fuel consumption is quite dramatic. I'm sure this will make the coach much more usable and help it to last many more years.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:10 AM   #173
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Don't know what rear end I have (wide grin). Every time I remember to check, its raining. Or drying out from a rain. I do need to check my differential oil level. I'll check toward the end of the week, and let folks know.

R
Old 11-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #174
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley
Don't know what rear end I have (wide grin). Every time I remember to check, its raining. Or drying out from a rain. I do need to check my differential oil level. I'll check toward the end of the week, and let folks know.

R
Rob,

Thanks for all this info on your GV install, and it's effect on your MoHo's performance, mileage, and temps. I totally agree with Glen about the thermostat. Pat370, who owns one of those rare 370s (like I used to), was the one who told me to change to a 160 degree. Despite lots of dire warnings from one member who was certain I was going to run way too cool to even get the engine warm enough, I promise you it will still run warm enough, and will be in a good range to keep everything at a high enough temp to operate correctly, but cool enough to stop damaging components. As you know, Glen is correct about heat being the enemy of these creatures, and your observation about moving 17,000 lbs. down the highway assures you that you'll get ENOUGH heat to stop from damaging anything with too little heat. I ran 170-190 on fairly level ground after the swap to 160 degree thermo, and never above 205 even climbing mountains. Combine that with the GV, and it became one sweet running machine. Without going into all the reasons I turned right around and sold the Blimp, I can tell you that the GV unit combined with the low operating temps are what actually "sold" the unit to the buyer. When we were in the test run, I had him hit the "off" button on the GV while we were running 65 on an Interstate. He immediately commented that he would never have considered buying her if it had been screaming at such a high rpm. Rpms jumped to almost 3200, and the temps went up almost 20 degrees. Noise was incredibly louder. As soon as he clicked her back into GV (4th overdrive), all got quieter, lower rpms, cooler by 20 degrees, and that actually sealed the deal.

Looking forward to hearing what your axle ratio is. I'm sure it's not the 5.29 of the Blimp, but you're new rpms are just about what I got. What a difference. It was worth all that money just to slow things down and be able to hear my wife while we were traveling. I know you're still probably getting the after-effects of our latest east coast storm, but I'm anxiously waiting to hear what your axle is. By the way, no charge for sending all these storms from down here up your way.

Best,

AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote