Old 09-20-2006, 06:30 AM   #155
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Tim, great photos! It took me a while to finally come to the conclusion that you've got a different chassis.... I kept looking at the different driveline brake and then the cross brace.... and then it dawned on me... oh! Gillig.
So have you done any kind of fuel consumption testing yet?
Glen,

I was beginning to worry about you! Hadn't seen you log-in on my posts recently, and was getting ready to get a Wally's World posse to go looking for you. Glad you are alive, and I suppose, well! It IS important to remember that whoever looks at those GV pictures needs to remember it's not a C30 chassis. From what I'm learning all the time, this Gillig rig is a whole different animal, especially below the floor of the coach. Very little is the same as the C30s. Makes for some difficult times trying to get information, but so far I haven't decided to sell - although the thought has crossed my mind.

I still haven't had the Blimp out far enough to do any fuel consumption tests. I'm planning a long day-trip in the next month to see how she does. My life seems to be constantly interrupted by unexpected things from my aging in-law, parents, and even my "grown" girls (and their husbands). I'm actually glad I can help out, and they trust me enough to call. It does put a crimp in "MY" plans, of course, but I realize I'm blessed to have them. Now, don't you feel sorry for me?

Anyway, I promise I'll post the results as I get the chance to get out. After all, I did finally get the pics up on the GV install, even if it took me over a year to go from research to install! Actually, it took me almost 2 days just to get the pictures to post! Boy, that process gives me a fit... Even the forum site was dragging yesterday. I'd spend a half-hour setting up the post, and the whole thing would just quit. Server must have been having some logistical problems. By the way, thanks again for all your help with posting pictures earlier. I'm SLOWLY getting it down.

Best,

AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:38 AM   #156
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
Actually, it took me almost 2 days just to get the pictures to post! Boy, that process gives me a fit... Even the forum site was dragging yesterday. I'd spend a half-hour setting up the post, and the whole thing would just quit. Server must have been having some logistical problems.
Just got a message from Janet, on the forum staff, that they were, indeed, having problems with the server yesterday. Now I don't feel quite so bad!

AIR # 5648
Old 09-20-2006, 10:49 AM   #157
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Tim,

Glad to hear that the server was having troubles yesterday, I thought it was me!

Really do enjoy the picts, and it makes me almost want to crawl under my ride and work on something, almost.

The pics are great, but what would one expect from a rivet master?

Steve
Old 09-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #158
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geophilist
Tim,

Glad to hear that the server was having troubles yesterday, I thought it was me!

Really do enjoy the picts, and it makes me almost want to crawl under my ride and work on something, almost.

The pics are great, but what would one expect from a rivet master?

Steve
Steve,

Probably just rivets. Pictures take way too long.

Tim
AIR # 5648
Old 10-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #159
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
All has been quiet on the GV front!! Zeppelin's GV finally works, thanks to the tech support folks at GV, and, as soon as I sort out the Speedometer and the cruise control (which I gather are potentially related if they both fail at the same time) I should be able to report hard numbers if they are still needed.

Because of my really crazy work schedule for the last 3 weeks, (I spent a week in Washington State, and one of the retrievers had 8 puppies) I have been troubleshooting the GV in the evening (houseguests living in Zeppelin for a week slowed this down!) and calling GV the following afternoon to report results. We eventually figured out that the control module was faulty--they sent me new one (took a week--no big deal) and it still wouldn't work. Every time it tried to shift it would blow the inline fuse. The solution was a dime store magnifing glass ($1.50) which determined that somehow in the testing I had switched out 3A inline fuses for 1.5A. Since the GV takes a 3A--you get the picture.

Ran down to Jamestown, VA, Saturday for a wedding and back today. Weather was truly lousy yesterday--forded 3 creeks, torrential rain until midnight. Absolutely glorious today.

I can report anecdotially that the GV does tend to quiet things down. When I had the shop put the GV in, we had to replace the entire exhaust system to get the Hedmans in as well. Since there are no catalytic converters in the new system (only the biggest truck mufflers I have ever seen!!) without the GV, the new 3" exhaust is a bit noisier than I had intended. I't"s amazing how much noise 700 RPM will save you!!

So--somewhere over the last 3 weeks, both Zeppelin's speedometer and cruise control failed. Any advice on troubleshooting these problems? I think they are related, but I don't know exactly how or where.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #160
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Rob,

So sorry to hear you've had so much trouble! I was wondering what happened to you. I guess now I know why my shop spent 3 weeks on the install and "testing". At first I was sure the testing was an excuse for taking so long, but now I'm not so sure. Anyway, I've had no problems at all, but that usually means I'll have some tomorrow.

Since they had to put a new speedo gear in the tranny to have your speedometer correct, I'd start there. You can track it right under your vehicle back to your gage. My guess is that you speedo isn't connected some where, and that's causing the cruise control to not function either. My suspicion tells me it's probably where they did the new gear and then (supposedly) reconnected your speedo cable to the new gear. If that wasn't tightened correctly, it certainly would cause the two failures. If that's correct, at least it's an easy fix. Too much of a coincidence not to be related, at least that's the view from here.

Boy, if you went to Jamestown yesterday I'm surprised you made the trip without having to spend an extra day. What a mess! Just across the James River there was very serious flooding.

Keep us posted about your speedo and cruise. I'm anxious to know what you discover.

By the way, I still haven't taken enough of a run to get any hard numbers on gas mileage. I have reported the lower rpms, cooler temps, and less noise. I suspect gas mileage should not be the top reason one puts in a GV unit. It's still a gas engine moving a very large object. 700 rpms should help some, but I doubt it's going to be all that much. I'm getting about 6.6 on short runs, but have had no good long trip runs since the install.

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 10-09-2006, 10:37 AM   #161
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Tim: Thanks for the help--I'll be crawling under there late this afternoon when it's a little drier. When I did so yesterday--without tools, just to see what I would need--there appear to be just 2 components, the cables and something which connects them and has a couple of wires running from it(a sender??) somewhere. Looks like the whole thing comes apart with a pair of pliers. I'll know more when it's disassembled and I can see if the cables turn properly.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #162
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley
Tim: Thanks for the help--I'll be crawling under there late this afternoon when it's a little drier. When I did so yesterday--without tools, just to see what I would need--there appear to be just 2 components, the cables and something which connects them and has a couple of wires running from it(a sender??) somewhere. Looks like the whole thing comes apart with a pair of pliers. I'll know more when it's disassembled and I can see if the cables turn properly.
Please keep me posted on this. It's almost always something simple when you've just had something changed, and a related component (speedometer/cruise control) suddenly stop. Our rigs are close enough in age and size that the setup should be almost identical.

Just left mine to get a NEW battery isolator replaced because the switch to over-ride the isolator took 4 pulls to actually over-ride it. Guys decided the isolator had some dirty points or something form sitting on an inventory shelf too long. Anyway, I should have it back this afternoon if you'd like me to get under and perhaps give you the perspective from under my Blimp.

Let me know,
AIR # 5648
Old 10-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #163
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Thanks--but don't crawl under the truck on my account just yet, at least until I'm sure I don't have a clue!!

Rob
Old 10-25-2006, 04:34 PM   #164
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Tim,
I can't believe you are selling your rig after all the trouble/expense you went to with the Gear Vendors.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:21 PM   #165
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Guy,

I can certainly understand your surprise. To save lots of space here, I've posted several replies to some questions by TomR at the site of the ad. If you'll read those, hopefully they will give some basic idea of the "logic" behind the GV and then a "selling". I'm not happy about it, but the reasons are valid. One can't always have what he really wants (loves?).

I'd appreciate any feedback after you read those posts.

Thanks,
AIR # 5648
Old 10-26-2006, 02:53 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Tim,
Now I see. A motorhome certainly needs to be used to stay sound. I understand about ailing parents. Although a motorhome can be a good way to transport ailing parents (depending on the ailment).

I wonder if you will be able to get a fair price this time of year and with the recent fuel price shocks.

While I'm not in the market (I have way too much invested in my rig), I think some interior pictures would be a useful addition to your ad.

Good Luck.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:16 PM   #167
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Thanks Guy,

About the interior pictures - have you followed the info on the ad about going to Photos, then under Search typing in 'noiva'? Lots of interior pics pop up there. If you think I need some more, let me know. Especially let me know if you have some specific shots in mind.

About selling the Blimp at this time - I really have no idea. I don't have to sell it, in fact I really don't particularly want to sell, but I thought I'd float it out there just to see if there's someone who's sort of always wanted one of these unusually rare coaches. My intuition tells me it will do better in the spring, and I'm fully prepared to do that. As you know, people who buy these aren't quite as "seasonal" as other brands. I got it in January, and never thought much about it being winter. In fact, I figured that would give me time to check things out and do some of the inevitable stuff one does whenever getting another vehicle. This ad is sort of a trial balloon, but a serious attempt at the same time.

Again, thanks for your insight, and let me know about the interior pics.

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 10-29-2006, 12:35 AM   #168
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
GV & Speedo

I promised folks an update on the GV I put in the Zeppelin,( 1991 350LE) so here it is--so far: Its a dream to drive, but I don't have good figures on fuel consumption or engine wear savings yet, because my speedo stopped working.

The GV as supplied had a bad control module. Once that was successfully diagnosed, and replaced free by gearvendors, I developed a problem in the speedometer, which also caused the cruise control not to work. After messing about with the speedometer cables for a while, I think I have gotten it to work, but I don't know for how long.

The problem is, with the additional speedometer cable and sender supplied by Gearvendors, there is a LOT of slop in the speedometer cable assembly as supplied by Chevrolet and GV.

There is: 5 feet of cable attached to the speedometer, a sender, another 14 inches of cable, a sender, and another 18 inches of cable which feeds into the GV. The play in each cable section is 3/8 to 5/8's inch--so the total possible slop in the system is not only a lot, but is variable. It is quite possible for the cables in any two sections to move away from each other in such a way that the cable attached to the GV turns, but one or both of the other cables in the system do not, because the ends of the cables do not turn in one or more of the senders in which they are supposed to be inserted--internal friction and/or gravity cause them to back out over time, or they don't work because of the re-assembly techniques. The GV installer had this problem.

Testing with a drill running counterclockwise, I find the system works about 50 percent of the time IF ASSEMBLED BY HAND. The square pins on the ends of the cables can move a lot when re-assembling. I eventually figured out that using a pair of forceps to hold the pins (keeping as much slop out of the system as possible) when re-assembling increases the likelihood of success.

Road test again tomorrow. Since I have not modified the system in any way, I have no idea how long this will work before I have trouble again.

I would guess that the only real fix for this is to remove all the cables and cable covers, shorten the cable covers and/or the shoulders on the end fittings, and then re-assemble. There clearly should be some play in the system, but I suspect that much more than 1 quarter inch in any cable section, regardless of length, is too much.

We shall see.
Best,
Rob