Old 05-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
CUMMING , GA
Gear Vendor and assorted woes

The saga, continues. my gear vendor was installed last june and has packed up. they are, at least, replacing the unit under warranty. I doubt I would install another one in another unit. I'd live with the reduced gas mileage and use the savings to pay for the fuel.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Huh?

What unit?

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpapke
The saga, continues. my gear vendor was installed last june and has packed up. they are, at least, replacing the unit under warranty. I doubt I would install another one in another unit. I'd live with the reduced gas mileage and use the savings to pay for the fuel.

Huh? Don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpapke
Wpapke,

Can you give us more details on what happened?

Thanks,

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Sorry to hear that. It would be interesting to know what actually failed in the AT overdrive unit. What about contamination in the transmission itself?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Laguna Niguel , California
I'd be interested, as well, in hearing what happened to your GearVendors Overdrive unit. I just talked to the company last week about getting one for my tow vehicle, a 1998 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel with a 5 speed manual.

Any additional info you can provide would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
A guy I work with here has been using a gear vendor unit for several months now with no complaints. Keep us posted on what you do/how it works out.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
CUMMING , GA
gear vendor problems

The "unit" refers to the actual gear vendor overdrive. The 345 has been in and of the shop with one problem or another since purchase (January, 2007) so I didn't get to do any extensive driving with the GV until recently (gall bladder the old fashioned way in july, heart attack in October kind of slowed things down) . When I took it ont he road problems began showing up and it seems to take at least 2 weeks to get anything at all done. The GV began by not shifting into overdrive then several times failed to engage in reverse, most recently when my wife was taking a driving course. When I turned the GV off the transmission engages in reverse with nary a groan. GV has agreed to replace the entire thing with a rebuilt and said they would ship it yesterday. the camping world in st. augustine said it would take 6 weeks to get to it but i found a cw in oxford, al that got to it in a week. When it, the GV, did work I didn't notice a significant increase in mileage. I seemed to get a similar distance from a tank as before install. I will do a rigorous test when i get it back from camping world. drove it up there without it engaged. I figure payback should occur in about 30K miles so before you write a check for over $3K figure out if if you'll own the rig long enough for payback. (of course that does not figure in reduced wear and tear). I'll let you know what happens. so far I am a year behind in our attempt to take a year to see the country. I know all the gearheads and rv fans will disagree but so far the best I can say about owning an RV, especially an old one, is, if you enjoy spending your time and money fixing things go for it. if not save your money for hotels.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Are you sure it was installed properly?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
CUMMING , GA
By the way. It would be great if we all compiled a listing of service facilities that actual repair older RV's. If you''re not mechanically inclined or don't have the facilities being able to locate reliable repair facility is priceless. I found a couple in the Atlanta, GA area and one in the St. Augustine, FL area who were very helpful. J&R rv service in Douglasville, GA, Ray's Tire in ST. Augustine. Also, New Horizons Trailers in Douglasville, GA beefed up the hitch without any question. No palcard like Dan's in Elkhart but it sure looks a lot tougher than the 4 bolt OEM arrangement. I'll post photos as soon as I can can.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
CUMMING , GA
JKCRU, I didn't install it so I can't be sure, not that me installing it would be any guarantee of a proper installation.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
I only ask because I have had less than stellar sucess with CW labor.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Not sure what you are saying when you say shutting the GV off caused it to go into reverse. The GV is only a set of Planitary Gears that are either engaged or not. It has nothing to do with what gear the transmission is in or going into.

The GV is hydraulically driven off it's own enternial pump. When you selsect a change a seloniod opens a valve and applies pressure to the clutch that engages the planitary gears or releases pressure to disengage the clutch.

Mine worked for over 10 years without any problems.

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
CUMMING , GA
jkcru, I agree. i have had less than stellar performance from Camping World. A tech at one even told me they were installers not repairmen.

howiee, no matter how the gear vendor works i could not replicate that particular problem with GV off. Turning the gear vendor off allowed, not caused, the reverse to work. with the gear vendor on you could hear the trannie engaging but it would slip and not allow the rig to back up. turning the gear vendor off stopped the slipping. I am assuming that for some strange reason the solenoid was malfunctioning occasionally when I went into reverse. Someone on a performance forum said they has some problems with their GV in reverse. GV is replacing the whole thing. The tech at the camping world in Oxford had the same problem. The transmission was checked out by a mechanic and was fine. Glad you have had no problems with your GV but I began having problems shortly after having it installed. I'm sure that, in general, it's relatively trouble free. My Accord had to have a new trannie after 70k so even the best can have problems. it's all a matter of probability.