Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Now you have me thinking. I had my GV in my 1987 Sub and it's been a few years back. What I do remember is you have to have a transmission tail shaft speed high enough to produce 12 lbs of oil pressure in the GV unit in order to engage it. You can not have that condition when shifting into rev. The unit would not be engaged and thus would slip. I can not remember if I had to disengage the GV or if disengaged automaticlly at low speed.

I would get in touch with GV and review the operational sequence.

In no way would I ever have anyone at Campers World ever touch a unit like that. They are at best fuse changers. That unit is used in the Corvette and Volvo and just adapted for RV.

My Kayak mysite.verizon.net/vze54tx9/kayak/
HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:06 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
CUMMING , GA
gear vendor problems

I am not enough of a wrench to know but I suspect you're right about the GV and I know you're right about camping world. I think from now on I will turn the GV off before I put it into reverse. I checked with the car mechanic who changed my master cylinder and checked the trannie.l Je said he was able to stop the slipping by going to first then back to reverse. I tend to think the GV is not really suitable for that high of torque and horsepower (RV) even though GV says it's good to 1000 horsepower. Unfortunately I don't have the mechanical chops to do the install myself and it is still under warranty so I guess they'll have to do it. Will let you know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
Now you have me thinking. I had my GV in my 1987 Sub and it's been a few years back. What I do remember is you have to have a transmission tail shaft speed high enough to produce 12 lbs of oil pressure in the GV unit in order to engage it. You can not have that condition when shifting into rev. The unit would not be engaged and thus would slip. I can not remember if I had to disengage the GV or if disengaged automaticlly at low speed.

In no way would I ever have anyone at Campers World ever touch a unit like that. They are at best fuse changers. That unit is used in the Corvette and Volvo and just adapted for RV.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:

That is interesting that the GV unit is used in a Volvo. I am restoring a 76 TR6 with OD the OD is suppose to be the same as used in a Volvo It would be hard to believe they are the same. I guess I need to go find a picture.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
You don't need to go to CW you need to go to an english sports car repair shop. Not the same tail piece but same center. The OD in a TR6 is very sensitive to the fluid used be sure to get the correct fluid in the unit. Now to get the TR to put out a thousand HP to MAX out the OD spec.
Click image for larger version

Name:	install1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	60508

Name:	DSC_0001-1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	60509

Name:	DSC_0003-1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	60510
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 05-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
CUMMING , GA
another gv update

I spoke with the "tech" at CW today and he said the GV was blowing fluid out and that gear vendor said that the symptoms my coach exhibited meant the reverse in the GV was defective. Doesn't make any sense to me. I would assume reveerse occurs in the trannie, no the GV. I'll try to new one and if that one goes i'll yank it our and go back to the std 3 speed auto.

Quote:

Old 05-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
The link below is to a site with every detail about the OD. It is geared to a TR6 but the parts are the same and it explains completely how the unit works and how to rebuild it. Extensive trouble shooting section with color pictures. If you study this you will know more than gear vendors and CW.

J Type Overdrive Part I
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 05-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Spruce Grove , Alberta
I just installed one on my Cummins. The instruction manual has a lot of rules about when to engauge it. It must mot be turned on for reversing, must not be on for engine braking especially exhaust brakes. It must not be turned on below 20mph. It needs special synthetic gear oil not automatic transmission fluid. My unit came with an eletronic controler that idiot proofs all of the above. My Cummins diesel milage is now the same at 120 km/h as it is at 80 km/h without it. That leeds me to believe that fuel consumption has more to do with engine RPM than wind drag.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Volvo and others used a Laycock de Normanville OD which had a cone clutch and planetary gear train activated by two pistons that got their oil pressure from an eccentric driven oil pump on the output shaft of the transmission and were operated with a solenoid valve. They were usually installed with a lockout switch that only allowed the unit to engage in high gear where high RPM generated sufficient oil pressure to ensure engagement and they couldn't be engaged in reverse.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Sumter , South Carolina
Bill gets the prize!! All GearVendor units begin with a Laycock overdrive unit. GV is the North American distributor for Laycock of England.

I'm waiting for my 1986 Suburban to arrive here in SC. I purchased it a little while back for the low cost of a used GV. It has a rebuilt engine and tranny and will be a complete drive train swap into Airstream One.

I've been letting the bus sit since gas prices went through the roof. Hence my absence here.

I'm still looking for a good shop somewhere in the south east as my present wrench does not have a shop we can get the unit into.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Golf Professional Sales Rolling Showroom & PuttLab
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Personally, I wouldn't let CW address anything more complex than replacing a paper towel holder.

On the road once, temp in the 90's, got desperate when the A/C failed (under warranty)-- too it to CW and they returned it 2 hours later and said it was "fine, $120 bucks, please". Set up camp and A/C never came on. Sweltered all night. Next day got home and took it to local guys and they replaced thermostat (in about 15 minutes) and it has worked great ever since.

No CW for this boy no mo'

mike
Old 05-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
CUMMING , GA
GEAR VENDOR problems

If i had enough sense to ask CW for the operating manual when they installed I might not have had the problem! Of course if they had had the sense to tell about that little issue...but come to think of it why didn't GV tell the tech at CW about that issue? Go figure. Another question, this one about a braking system for the 345. I have a blue ox luxor braking system which I used with my tracker which has sadly bit the dust so I am going to tow my grand cherokee. I know it's over the airstream limit so have had the hitch beefed up and there are others on the forum who have no problem towing that much. Now that I've learned a bit more I am a little uncomfortable about using a non proportional braking system. Any suggestions?

Many thanks to everyone on the forum who knows way more than I do about wrenching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadams
I just installed one on my Cummins. The instruction manual has a lot of rules about when to engauge it. It must mot be turned on for reversing, must not be on for engine braking especially exhaust brakes. It must not be turned on below 20mph. It needs special synthetic gear oil not automatic transmission fluid. My unit came with an eletronic controler that idiot proofs all of the above. My Cummins diesel milage is now the same at 120 km/h as it is at 80 km/h without it. That leeds me to believe that fuel consumption has more to do with engine RPM than wind drag.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I use the US Gear Unified Tow Brake. I got mine here: Tow Bars, Tow Dollys, BrakeBuddy & Dinghy Braking they seemed to have a pretty good price.

I've put ~30,000 miles on mine and am satisfied.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
CUMMING , GA
gear vendor, us gear etc.

I think I will go with that as soon as the GV is sorted out. Seems that the replacement unit keeps kicking out of OD for some reason or another. Something about the signal generator not maintaining a consistent signal.
Anyway, I don't trust my wrenching skill set enough to install the unified brake system properly so will use the blue ox until I get to someone who can install it properly. Anybody know anyone in New Mexico that can do the install?

One other ?. Anyone know the gear ratios on a 345?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
I use the US Gear Unified Tow Brake. I got mine here: Tow Bars, Tow Dollys, BrakeBuddy & Dinghy Braking they seemed to have a pretty good price.

I've put ~30,000 miles on mine and am satisfied.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Any of these close to you:

Unified Tow Brake Dealer Map

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote