Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2003, 10:29 PM   #1
30 yr Airstreamer

2018 16' Sport
Port Townsend , Washington
Lightbulb Gas mileage tips

After driving this 250 MH classis for a while I noticed that I get between 7-9 miles per gal. I would like to hear from the forum gear-heads about their tips and proven results. We all know that keeping the engine/carb in tune, cleaning the air filter etc. can make a big difference. But what about other things? What about synthetic oil/gear lube and other chemicals? Is a banks system worth the money? Jacobs MH ignitions are highly touted by their maker is this BS or do they really deliver? What are the best spark plugs that you have used ( platinums, splitfires etc ) How about K&N air filters. But most of all do those little metal Tornado Rings you put in the air-filter really work? (just Kidding). Please note your before and after milage.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:48 AM   #2
Krazykraut

Gas milage

In my opinion, it's the way you drive. Here are some recommendations
1) Let the RPM control your acceleration, I slowly accelerate to about 2100 RPM
2) Use the cruise control on the freeway where possible, if you got one
3) Don't buy fuel at the low volume vender.
4) Keep your motor tuned
Old 01-15-2003, 10:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
PeterH really likes the Jacobs, although I don't think it made a big mileage difference for him, more so in performance.

I added a Tornado to my intake over the carb, and using synth blend oil on my last trip got about 10mpg at 60- 65 miles per hour.
I was happily surprised. I also have recent spark plug wires, and plugs. I also keep my carb and choke area pretty clean, as they seem to glaze up every few months.
The generator was off, and we used an inverter for the 6 hours.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 11:42 AM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Yes, the performance improvement with the jacobs is remarkable with some improvement in the mpg
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 10:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I used the Jacobs UltraTeam in my '92 Chevy Z71 reg cab 4X4 and noticed an immediate torque increase. Gas mileage did not improve but then the truck was already using synthetics in the axle and engine. It also had new plugwires when I bought it used and had just had a tuneup prior to purchase. I'd say that if the wires were 4-5 yrs. old and they were replaced with the Jacobs blue wires along with the control box which has anti-theft and valet parking then you should get better starts as well as mileage. I bought my unit straight from the factory but could have saved $65 by going through some of the 4 wheel drive supply houses advertising in Four Wheeler Magazine. I liked the unit enough to switch it to a '92 Camaro after my son rolled the truck and then from there to a '90 Chevy K1500 Sport 4X4 he found when he didn't like the Camaro.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 07:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I liked the unit enough to switch it to a '92 Camaro after my son rolled the truck

Your son rolls the truck, and then he get a Camaro?
TRAPEZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 09:12 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Finally got it installed

I have had a Banks exhaust system sitting in my garage for four months. There was a problem in logistics since the garage that I wanted to install it is way off and my wife is still working. I finally bit the bullet, rode the busses, and had it installed.

I finally picked up the truck this morning with the system installed. Headers, huge muffler, an BIG pipes. I could tell the difference in accelleration as soon as I pulled out into the street. The truck always seemed "heavy" getting away from stops, but now it felt a lot quicker. On the way home in the Hill Country, I found that I didn't get my usual downshift out of OD on some of the hills. The muffler is a definite baritone, but it doesn't drown out the sterio.

I'm so eager to try it with the trailer that I'm tempted to bring the trailer home today for some work.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 02:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
OK Trapeze,
I knew someone would say something. He had a deer jump off an embankment onto the road right in front of him. Rather than hit it, he swerved to the left to miss it. The 2 lane asphalt road was wet and there was a layer of fine grit on the surface. The truck slid sideways, tire caught traction and the truck flipped once and he went into a ditch upside down. This truck was to be his graduation present since I was going to buy a 2500hd and he was just plain sick. He is a smart kid, an honor student who just received his first semester grades of 3.73 on a 4 point (the same as the rear end ratio of his now '90 Chevy 4X4 Sport truck. If he had been clowning around and hit another vehicle THEN I would have been mad and he could have forgotten about a vehicle. The Camaro I could never understand but I trust him more than any of my other kids. He worked as needed for the owner of a local construction company when they needed a skinny kid to help hang AC ductwork and dating the guy's daughter helped a little too. He bought things around the house with some of the money he earned so I felt this was the least I could do for him. His 17 yr. old brother has saved $3,000 toward a truck and has a preapproved loan for the rest when he finds a '92-'95 two wheel drive truck he likes. I can't complain about that either.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 01-17-2003, 02:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Smile Banks

John,
It's like getting a new and improved playtoy isn't it? I bet you will notice it's ability to tow has greatly improved but I would like to know just how much it does help, especially on hills. Let us know what it does for your gas mileage also.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 01-19-2003, 08:45 PM   #10
30 yr Airstreamer

2018 16' Sport
Port Townsend , Washington
Thanks, good advice and ideas

I will definitely look into the Jacobs again. I had an MSD electronic ignition on a Jeep and got better performance and slightly improved gas milage. The banks system will go on my wish list although the 454 and this little 25fter goes like the wind now, plenty of power to weight. I did put synthetic engine and gear oil in and that really helped smooth things out, the engine definitely runs better. I also am trying the Bosch platinum plugs to see if there is any improvment. An Accel high output coil is also a possibility. Thanks for all the great advice.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:42 AM   #11
Rik
2 Rivet Member

Quite a few years ago I put a Banks Power Pack on my 1983 Winnebago Chieftain. It has the same P-30 Chassis as my (newly acquired) Airstream of the same year, and the same 454 engine. I LOVE the power pack. About 20%-25% better mileage, and MUCH more power. Need to get one for the Airstream now. Anybody know where I can get a good deal on a used one, or at least the headers?('')
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote