Old 12-06-2005, 09:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Talking Lets talk!

Stantank,

The Edelbrock will work with your application.

I donít care for the two-barrel type set up. It may provide the power but your moving quite an object (your motor home).

Here are several of my thoughts:
Please go to the Edelbrock website and investigate the Pro-Flo systems available. The Pro-Flo is self contained, calibration module included. The calibration module can store multiple programs (that you define) for example Ė one for towing, one for highway etc. You could set program ďAĒ for towing (where torque is required) with specific fuel and spark modifications set to tow then switch to program ďBĒ for highway driving (were fuel economy is required) and flip between the two. I would definitely recommend multi-port fuel injection for your application not the TBI type pictured in ď59toasterísĒ post.

MY OPINION ONLY!

Still interested? Want to know more? Lets talk!

Regards,
Henry

Old 12-06-2005, 09:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stantank
I want to be able to make changes in the chip myself. This is why I have been looking at the Holley 950 kit. Also I donít think that I could figure out the appropriate combination of parts for my engine without using a kit. I think that the programing is fairly straight forward, at least it is with the Holley. Could I put the part together as you have and use the Holley software to program the chip?
I know a lot of people that have had issues with the Holly FI. Depending on the holly system you get depends on how its programed. The "Digital" programs off a laptop and the cheaper version is Analog and you tune it with knobs on the ECM.

There is not much to figure out on the stock GM stuff. You find a 87-89 GM truck in a junk yard with a 454 and pull all the FI and harness. Or you search on line for one fore sale. The one I have I bought for $200 off a guy that was parting a truck.

Only thing you have to get if you have the harness is the Speed sensor and cam or get a chip burned if you try to stick wit hthe stock cam. The harness off the Square body trucks was laid in on the existing harness. Its totally self supporting and very easy to remove. Once you get into the 90's that harness is miserably tied up in the rest of the vehicle harness.

If you want to get real fancy then pull a OBDII system and use that Throttle body. You can program them on a Lap top. Just a lot more complicated and you have to find one out of a Manual truck so the ECM won't miss the Transmission. From 90 on GM trannys are run off the computer. If the ECM doesn't see the tranny it will go into limp mode. That has to be programed out or use a Manual transmissions ECM.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
So with all those changes how much real power would you gain? Wouldn't it make as much sense to improve the carb, the exhaust and the ignition set up and gain as much or more? I don't know.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:12 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Cool Not as much as think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
So with all those changes how much real power would you gain? Wouldn't it make as much sense to improve the carb, the exhaust and the ignition set up and gain as much or more? I don't know.
ALANSD,

Fuel injection + exhaust + ignition is the route to go.

Carburetors are dinosaurs at best. Show me a single new car/truck/bus that still uses one – they are few. Lawn mowers are even fuel injected these days. In a word – RELIABILITY. No pumping the gas pedal, choke, variations in climate – just turn the key and it starts on the first turn – that’s the reason to look at fuel injection. Additionally, you don’t use a screwdriver to make adjustments – you use the computer – that’s pretty cool. To directly answer your question Alan, you may not gain a lot of power from fuel injection alone, just reliability.

I have successfully used competition Holley carburetors for years. But I wouldn’t take the best Holley carburetor for free – I am sold on fuel injection. On my fuel injected test candidate, a 1978 Monte Carlo, I could list many advantages of fuel injection, most notably – no overheating (computer controls this), no failed starts (computer controls this), no knock (computer controls this), no elevation adjustment (computer controls this), no rough idle (computer controls this) – are you beginning to see a tie!

Old school folks are scared by fuel injection. If your not comfortable – keep your carburetor. Just remember it is state of the art 1985!

MY OPINION ONLY!

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Henry
Old 12-07-2005, 10:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
interesting...just gathering info. Thanks for the opinions.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 02-11-2006, 09:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Fuel injection- Horse power- Help! 454

Stantank
The first EFI I serviced was the 1968 Volkswagon Squareback. It was a multipoint EFI. It worked well as long as it was kept up.
I have been working carburators before that and still overhaul and setup the GM computer controlled Quadrajet on occaasion, I have a 1984 Camaro with the computor carb.
The two main reasons the big three finally went to EFI was the EPA requirements and the cost of making a carburator. GM put off going to multipoint EFI as long as they could, but finally did.
The ability to properly service a carburator is a dying art. Very, Very few mechanics are left that can do it properly.
Would I buy a vehicle with a carburator of any description on it new today, no.
EFI is far easier to properly troubleshoot in todays industry and parts are readilly avalible. Also they are far more reliable. It is nothing for an EFI system to last the life of a car without trouble. Carburators cannot do that.
I strongly recommend, however, that you do two things;
1. Get in touch with Airstream to find out what engine you have in your unit. They should be able to tell you.
2. For ease of spare parts acquition get a Chevy/GMC with the system you want (mulitpoint gives more horsepower) Get ont that runs barely and transplant the entire system to your unit and strive for it to be as new as posssible to put the parts availability as far in the future as possible.
Hope this helps.
Beginner
Old 03-29-2006, 04:14 PM   #21
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
tbi

I got a TBI kit from Turbo City last winter. It's all Chevy parts with a custom wiring harness. Had to replace the distributor. All total I think the do-it-yourself job cost about $1800.
With the carb. I was getting 4 mpg and could not do the speed limit on the highway. With the TBI I get 6 mpg and can set the cruise and go 80 if I want to. At 55 I get 6.5 mpg. That 's pulling my Suzuki on a tow bar too.
Not bad for a old 454 with 80,000 miles on it.
mel
'86 345
Old 03-31-2006, 01:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
my 454 Gets 7-8 mpg towing a Saturn with the generator running doing 55-60 mph.. I get 8-9 with no tow car. Clean carb, tornado installed, tuned up. ( don't tell me about the tornado I have heard it all... ask Sam Memolo)
The motor has about 40,000 miles on it.
Pulls uphill like a champ.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 05-01-2006, 08:44 PM   #23
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
my 454 Gets 7-8 mpg towing a Saturn with the generator running doing 55-60 mph.. I get 8-9 with no tow car. Clean carb, tornado installed, tuned up. ( don't tell me about the tornado I have heard it all... ask Sam Memolo)
The motor has about 40,000 miles on it.
Pulls uphill like a champ.
My engine is getting close to 73000 miles.
If probably is in need of a fresh cam and timing set, but then if I do that, I need to do the heads, and then new ring, wrist pins and connector rod bearings. If I go that far, should redo the bottom end and oil pump then BOOM before you know it Iíve done did myself a major overhaul. It I did do that Iíd still have a 454, and I guess thatís why I havenít yet.
Thought about finding a 8100ís gas or Duramax with a T-1000 trany, or a Cummins (with a plate, torque converter, starter, rearend and a lot of other part it would bolt right up to my Allison 545 trany and IĎd be getting 13+ mpg), thought about rebuilding it to a long stroke 454 (496, which is what the 8100 is) but still havenít decided.
I guess I need to, before too long or Iíll be setting on the side of a mountain with a blown motor.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:27 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
I am really interested in doing this conversion, but I am reading more about the whole process, and how it works. I can see two basic options for guys like us: 1. Buy a kit with all new parts and technical support. 2. Find a donor vehicle and swap/steal all the parts.

Hereís a link to the AFI (affordable fuel injection) website. They have a motorhome specific conversion kit for $1350 for the 454. That comes with everything you need to do the job and some tech support.
http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/motorhome-fuel-injection-conversion.htm
They even have the installation instructions online which I like, so you can get an idea of what youíre getting into.
http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/web/TBI%20INSTALLATION%20INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

This is a site that explains in pretty good detail about how to gather the parts to do a TBI (Throttle Body Injection) conversion to a carb motor. Itís actually for IH (International Harvester) trucks, but they use GM parts to make the conversion, so itís basically the same. Definitely more of a DIY method.
http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47254

-Kevin