Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Fuel Filling Problem

I filled up today at our local Flying J. I like their pumps since the nozzle fits my filler neck. At most truck stops the nozzle is too large for my filler neck opening. I have to stand there and hold the nozzle into the filler in order to get the fuel inside the tank and not the pavement.
I used to drive a deisel VW and had a plastic adapter when i found a nozzle too thick. Also some of you may remember back in the days when they switched over to unleaded and made the filler necks smaller we had adapters to get the larger pump nozzle into our little filler necks. I am really dating myself here.
I am positive they no longer make such an adapter, but can I make one? And if I do, what should I make it out of. I would need the bottom to fit far enough in and the top to extend out enough to hold the pump nozzle.
What do you other deisel guys do?
Old 06-15-2005, 06:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Aluminum shaped like a narrow funnel, it is soft and easy to work. But, if you are talking about the full size diesel nozzles they pump a lot of fuel, it will probably blow back even more with a more restricted opening unless you hold it at a very low setting. Why not enlarge the opening in the filler to fit the nozzle?

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:02 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I filled up today at our local Flying J. I like their pumps since the nozzle fits my filler neck. At most truck stops the nozzle is too large for my filler neck opening. I have to stand there and hold the nozzle into the filler in order to get the fuel inside the tank and not the pavement.
I used to drive a deisel VW and had a plastic adapter when i found a nozzle too thick. Also some of you may remember back in the days when they switched over to unleaded and made the filler necks smaller we had adapters to get the larger pump nozzle into our little filler necks. I am really dating myself here.
I am positive they no longer make such an adapter, but can I make one? And if I do, what should I make it out of. I would need the bottom to fit far enough in and the top to extend out enough to hold the pump nozzle.
Check with your local truck stop, or auto parts store that caters to diesel pickup owners, those adapters are still around.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I have not seen one in years. Thay have to be make then some place. I have a diesel an I have not run across this. But sone day I'm going to run across this. If you find one. Post it on line. I want one. Thanks Al
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Chaplain Kent,

When I had a Mercedes Diesel, I used the auto pumps at the truck stops, they have the small auto nozzle. I have noticed that there are RV pumps also which have the small nozzles. You really need a 50 gallon large opening tank for the truck pumps.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:38 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Like I sead some day I'm going run across it so I like to get the adapter.
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I can use the large nozzle in my Dodge but I have to put the fuel in very slowly, even then sometimes it will shut off. Flying J has the small nozzle for autos at the RV island, this is what I try to use.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I solved this problem in such a simple manner it is embarrasing that I even posted the question. After taking a good look at the restricter I saw there was just a thin strip of metal holding it out. I bent that back and flattened the restricter. Now the opening is large enough for any size nozzle even the big boys at the truck stops. I never leave it unattended while filling so I do not think I will have a problem with overflowing.