Old 04-20-2003, 06:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Lifting Front End

Be sure to use front jacks and rear jacks as a pair.

The use of only one jack to lift a wheel clear of the ground will assuredly result in a bent jack support, if not a sprung frame.

The PO of my unit (or a jack leg mechanic) bent both of the front jack supports of my '87 345 (they failed outboard). They were a real bugger to remove (the Grade 3 bolts were streched, so they were tight all of the way off). After straightening the support assembly side leg, I welded a third gusset in the middle of the assembly. I did not extend the gusset above the two original ones since I assumed the design had a safety factor built in so that the jack support would fail prior to the frame itself permanently deforming.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 08:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Talking I did it!

I got up early Saturday morning and set out to replace the air bags. Getting the old ones out is pretty tough! I used a large flathead screw driver and a large vice-grip and a lot of hard twisting and tugging! Twisting with the vice grips was the key.

Getting the new bags in was equally as difficult!

I did fill them with a little air before lowering the front jacks. I then added 60 lbs. of air pressure. I didn't test drive it because I was so tired from the task! I left the old lines on that hung down because they had the 'T' fitting that Brett liked. I am going to look for a 90 degree adapter for the air fitting. Napa and CarQuest did not have one.

Camping World only charges $60 for the installation. Well worth it if you are in for other work or close to one! It took me about 2.5 hours and lots of grunting and groaning! Amazingly, no blisters!

ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:19 PM   #17
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Thumbs up

Fred, good deal!
I am proud of you for tackling it!
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Thanks Peter! I've come a long way baby! Middle Management by week-day, aspiring mechanic on the week-ends!

FYI - I also replaced a rivet all on my own! I used my own rivet tool and stock of rivets! That's a first! (I usually just borrow Brett's! )
Old 07-02-2003, 10:06 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

front air bags

Fred
I have the same rig as yours and I just noticed that both front air bags are long gone. Could you give my the item # from camping world that you put in yours. Also did you put in the extra line kit to check/add air pressure under the hood?

michael
Old 07-03-2003, 06:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Here is the link for the Air Lift 1000 air bags. They do come with long hoses and a bracket to move the vavle stem to the front. My unit already had a modification with hoses set up like Brett pictured above so I didn't use the hoses in the box.

If I had to do it again, I would call Air Lift and see if soaking the bags in warm/hot water to soften them up is acceptable. THey are stiff which wakes the job that much more fun!
Old 07-03-2003, 08:03 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

front airbags

Fred
Thank you for the reply. Could you give me a very brief installation process. Do they slide into the open springs from the outside once you have lifted the rv up thus extending the open coil springs?

michael
Old 07-03-2003, 10:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Block the rear and jack up the front.

Disconnect current lines to bags.

Puncture the existing bag so that air can escape. You can even cut it up between the springs.

Use a large flathead screw driver and a large vice grip to rip out the bottom disc under the bag (through the hold where the lines plug in.

Grab and rip out the bag (through that same small hole!) by twisting, grunting (bad words begin to form in your head)

Remove the top disc by pulling it through the springs.

Flatten and roll up the new air bag. Then close it to create a vacuum. Roll it flat again.

Cram the new bag up into the small hole by twisting the bag. You can cover with soapy water to assist. (even worse words continue to form in your head regarding the designer of this process)

Slip the top disc in
Slip the bottom disc in.
Hook up the hoses.
Fill with air to 55 psi.
It's common to lose 5 psi (I did) so the next day, you need to add another 5 psi to bring them up to 55 psi.

Air Lift instructions are pretty good.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:23 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

I also just did the Air Lift front bags on my 79 Excella because there where none, and I would have Camping World do the workk next time... what a pain!

Sebastian