Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Ford 460 Air Intake

My 1989 370 has a Ford 460 with a rectangular shaped flexible air intake hose from the solid plastic front piece to the air cleaner. It's falling apart from age, so I went to buy the replacement . Of course, Ford (and most of the auto stores) no longer carry that shape or style, and I don't have the room to switch to a larger round air intake. Pep Boys can order this stuff in 19" lengths. One length will get me to the original plastic intake, but it's already almost totally blocked by the hydraulic lines of the 4 stabilizers. I'm thinking of buying 2 lengths, hooking them together, and running it all the way to the front grill. My thinking is that I will be getting much more air, and will eliminate the blockage from the hydraulic lines. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Best,
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Yes, while you are running the air intake line, run it down lower, as heat rises. Have it terminate somewhere behind the front bumper.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Yes, while you are running the air intake line, run it down lower, as heat rises. Have it terminate somewhere behind the front bumper.
Thanks. That was my general plan, after reading the Forum posts that dealt with air intakes and the modifications made by different folks. Frankly, it can't be much more restricted than it is now. Lots of heat causing blockages and very poor air flow.
AIR # 5648
Old 04-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Tim, not sure how much room you have under the dog house but have you considered removing your air filter from the canister above the carb and putting the filter up front? Take a look at what I accomplished on my photos.
I'm ramming a lot more air into the system than GM ever planned with it's weak, small, insufficient air intake via the stock air cleaner.
BTW we want step by step photos of the GearVendors installation upcoming.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Tim, not sure how much room you have under the dog house but have you considered removing your air filter from the canister above the carb and putting the filter up front? Take a look at what I accomplished on my photos.
I'm ramming a lot more air into the system than GM ever planned with it's weak, small, insufficient air intake via the stock air cleaner.
BTW we want step by step photos of the GearVendors installation upcoming.
Glen,

Room under the dog house is a major problem. I've studied your filter alteration earlier, and I'm really impressed. Unfortunately, I don't have the room the way the Ford 460 was put on the Gillig chassis. However, I do have air intake on both sides of the filter housing, so it's not entirely choking off the air. This new ducting should work well, and I'm really doing it to clear the way the intake is blocked by the hydraulic lines . Anyway, the 160 degree thermostat seems to have also helped fix my heat problem. I just got back from a week long trip running at highway speeds, dash AC on, and 85 degree outdoor temps. The engine never went over 195. The engine fan always kicked in if it began to creep over that, and brought it quickly back to about 180. Best run I've had so far. And this is BEFORE I install the new air intake ducting .

I'll do photos of the Gear Vendors install. Still trying to decide what I need most right now - a 4th gear or a tow system for a car. Really need to pull a car on my trips. Just got back from a week out, and had to borrow a car several times from family members. It's always something ...

Tim
AIR # 5648
Old 04-15-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I know that the 460's seem to take up a lot of room in the various chassis configurations used, though I've never seen the Gillig yet.
I wonder if that's part of the reason they tend to be harder on exhaust valves than 454 Chevy's?
I'm very happy with my new engine temps too.
I vote for the Gearvendor first, that way you can afford to tow your car.
I'd love to be able to throw the cash at my rig and do the Gearvendor but not right at this time however. I'm not sure how much more I could get out of the old girl by giving her a five hundred rpm break at highway speeds?
With all the miles I put on the rig I still have to weigh the cost vs. savings.
BTW the air intake is not my idea. All credit to Scott Gordon the President of ClubMaxx Golf Bags on that little mod.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote