Old 01-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by osolow View Post
you could go ether way on the fluid type
just keep it serviced and you'll be fine with non synthetic and its a bit cheaper.

just be mindful of the temp your tranny gets and don't be really hard on it IE burnouts neutral drops and running around in first gear at 70mph
HA! No burnouts for this motorhome. We're spending way to much money and time on it to treat it like that.

The only thing that worries me is having the transmission fail or the cruise control unit fails while driving on the highway. I've had it happen once when pulling a trailer in our old 81 Chevy 1-ton dually pickup. Scared the crap out of me when it happened. I caught it fast enough that there was no damage to the engine and I think I was just plain lucky in that regard.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
I personally agree on this point but interestinly the manufactures that we work with Mercedes Benz and Volvo use factory fill Mobil 1 (Full syntetic) and Castrol syntec. Todays engines are broken in with synthetic.
I still wouldnt do it because im old school but technology has changed so much these days..

Vin
Vin, for me the newest engine I've had the pleasure of rebuilding is from the mid 70s which I consider old school.

I can't even imagine what the metals and and machining processes are like for these new fangled engines they're using in todays vehicles. On the older engines if you try and break them in with synthetic you're never going seat the rings.

Personally I like the older stuff, I can understand it..... .

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
New engine break in??...start drive 5mi, your done. Things do change.

All GM SS models come from the factory with Mobil 1. Differentials w/GM synthetic gear lube.

Put the synth. of your choice in the tranny and drive away.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote