Old 06-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
76 Argosy 28' MH
Currently Looking...
1975 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Ohio
fan clutch

I could use some advise on how to change the fan clutch. I do beleive it is bad. Should it free wheel when the motor is cold, like before you even start it. If it is bad what kind of noise will you here. Some say it is very loud. Is it hard to change and where can i get it at- napa-advance auto. Can it put a real draw on the charging system. Any help would be great.
Thanks John

Chief 1, You light em = we fight em
john roeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Auto-Zone. Im not sure if Chevy is like Ford but FORD screws off Counter-Clockwise if I remember correctly. If its like Ford ,Auto-Zone will have the correct wrenches to remove it.Its just for a deposit and U get it back when U return the wrenches. It should free-wheel when its cold. It only runs when a certian temp is reached. It is mounted on the same shafta as the waterpump pulley and can cause a slowdown on the alternator. The noise U are getting may not be Clutchfan at all it maybe waterpump bearings out. Check for leakage from the weep hole on the bottom of the pump or fluids on the ground under when parked. I just did a water pump on my International Harvester Desiel "NOT FUN"
If U are not mechinally inclined a waterpump or a clutchfan is not for the inexperienced. Id seek out an experienced Chevy Mechanic for the best advise.

Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I'm Not familiar with your MH John, however, fan clutchs are mechanical (fluid filled) or air operated. I'm sure yours is a fluid filled mechanical fan clutch. That said, you can usually check the front of the clutch with an inspection mirror. Should you see a oil residue, your clutch is less than perfect or bad.
Another check would be disabling the engine so it won't start and with someone behind the wheel, crank the engine while you hold onto one of the fan clutch blades. With a good clutch, you should feel a pulsating resistance (fan blade wanting to turn). If no resistance is felt, a bad clutch. The clutch is no electrical and cannot cause a drain at all. A defective clutch will cause higher than normal operating temperatures. Hope this may be of help,
Larry & Sandy
08 Classic 30
05 GMC K2500 Duramax
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
If it's a Ford engine, it like Roger stated. If it's a GM engine, there are 4 (either 1/4" or 5/16") nuts holding the fan clutch in place. With the 4 nuts removed, rock the fan clutch back and forth to remove. Upon removal, the clutch can be removed from the fan. The only real difficultly is the lack of space you have to work in. Good luck, Larry
Larry & Sandy
08 Classic 30
05 GMC K2500 Duramax
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote