Old 01-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
I have not used these gaskets yet but my mechanic told me when the time comes to use steel header gaskets, GM part # 96-97-1410. The hole size might need to be enlarged depending on your engine.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #16
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Nice one John. Sounds like you're off to a great start. I second Glen's request for photos. We all enjoy learning more about each other's motorhomes, especially what they look like.

Sorry about Ohio. A few of us in the office lost some money on that one. At least we had the Cards this year. Maybe OSU vs. U of L next year?

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
just make sure you check what shape the gaskets are some have square holes some have oval holes. chevy changed the heads on the454's. also I change the bolts when the gaskets are changed also have the manifold squared up or you will be changing gasket quite often. i did mine and put the medium strength loctite on header bolts . tourqed them up . no more loosening up.. quick note if using the gaskets that are off white I soake them in water over night .old hot rod trick. it softens up the gasket to make better seal and less chances of loosening up.
Bob
Old 01-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Nice work John. Did you know that the next time, and yes there will be a next time, that you only have to remove the inside bolts? The two end bolts can stay in and only have to be backed out enough to pull the manifold back a bit. The gasket slips in from the top and then you re-tighten.
I actually have a regular routine....called the "tighten up." I do this every two weeks or so. I have developed quite an ear for exhaust ticks. My 3/8 wrench gets a workout on all the header bolts as the old 454 does do quite a bit of shakin' and movin' as we drive down the bumpy roads of America. The driver side requires a long arm on the front bolt.
I'm up on 19.5" wheels so the clearance under the coach is perfect for my creeper and me! Get familiar with everything and what it looks like so that you'll notice when something changes.
Also next time you post a problem like this you may want to put it in the motorhome forums. We've got a number of different sub-forums and even an Argosy Moho forum. I had a heck of a time finding your thread again and finally used the search feature.
Good luck with your low mileage beauty.... now how about some photos!?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Exclamation "Tighten" or "Check"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
...I actually have a regular routine....called the "tighten up." I do this every two weeks or so...
I used anti-seize on new manifold bolts, and only had to re-torque the bolts once.

Do you actually tighten the bolts every two weeks or just routinely verify that the bolts have not loosened.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Tom, you have to take into account that I can turn 1-2000 miles a week when I'm out on the road. I do preventative tightening and every once in a while find the front bolt on the curb side needs a little snugging but as I stay on top of it all seems to be o.k. I've replaced gaskets enough not to be taken back by the job and can do it pretty quick now.
I like to get under the coach and check my header collector / reducer bolts too. Then the drive line parking brake. I ball everything else and often will take the mini grease gun with me while I prowl about on my creeper. I'm in tune with the beast at least.
I also change my genset oil about every two weeks when I'm out on the road steady as that will be at 150-200 hour mark.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 01-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #21
76 Argosy 28' MH

Currently Looking...
1975 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Ohio
exhaust manifold

Thanks for the info from all. Hey Glen this all new to me, this forum stuff, so thanks for that info. Also there are pictures posted in this forum, it's under (new to me) with 2 threads. Still learning on where and how to post. I figured out the end bolts after i had it off, but i took today to get milled or strighten out, or what ever they do. Thanks Bob for those tips also, gonna try the loctite thing. Am kinda of like Glen, been under this thing so many times i dream about, just tinker with everything, been spraying and luben everything. I know i won't be puting that many miles on mind right now, hope to get out once a weekend or so, with my full time job thats as good as gets right now. But sure having fun with it. Again thanks to all.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC170009.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	30662   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC160003.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	30663  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PC160001.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	30664  
Old 01-10-2007, 05:03 PM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Also next time you post a problem like this you may want to put it in the motorhome forums. We've got a number of different sub-forums and even an Argosy Moho forum. I had a heck of a time finding your thread again and finally used the search feature.
I moved the thread into the mechanic's corner. For some reason, I never noticced where it was. I must be slipping in my old age...I also found and added some pictures.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:09 AM   #23
76 Argosy 28' MH

Currently Looking...
1975 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Ohio
exhaust manifold

Just wondering what those little tupes are that run into the side of the manifold. I know Glen said if you leave the end bolts in you can slip the old out and the new in, but with those tupes there thats hard to to. Will those come out? Was afriad to do anything to them.

John
Old 01-11-2007, 06:06 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
John, they are part of the pollution equipment. As I have headers I don't have them now. I've also removed the air pump that supplied air to them and the exhaust gases.
Search for "headers" and you will find lots of reading material.
Nice photos!! Looks like it's still "in the wrapper."
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 01-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #25
76 Argosy 28' MH

Currently Looking...
1975 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Ohio
exhaust manifold

Thanks Glen, How do they come out, do they slip out or are those nuts on the out side, the ones over the tubes, have to be loosen up first. Just not sure.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
John, sorry to be so long getting back to you. You don't want to try removing them until you've got headers to replace the manifolds with. They are connected to the air pump on the front right side of the motor below the alternator.
Most of us have removed the system and the pump, or at least killed the drag of the pump by taking the belt off. Though I know of one friend who used the air pump to flow air to his starter for cooling...... overkill me thinks.
It was a very good idea to mill the manifolds but the best you can do is to plane both surfaces, head and manifold so that you have a perfect mating.
Has the coach been garaged it's whole life? It looks very nice in the photos. You've really scored I think.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 01-13-2007, 07:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
DON'T FORGET TO RE-TORQUE! After installation of manifold gaskets take the rig out for 40-50 miles max. Get it warm, shake it up, then stop cool down so you don't burn your arm. Now get the 3/8 wrench and socket out and retorque! This is a must if you don't want to replace the new gasket sooner than later. Ask me how I know this....er .... don't.... I've already confessed.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 01-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #28
76 Argosy 28' MH

Currently Looking...
1975 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Ohio
exhaust manifold

Glen,
great information. The egine shop is taking care of this as i wright. He's a good friend of mind so the price is right. Like my dad always told me, you can't have to many friends. When my uncle bought this new abought the only place they would go is shoping, come out and sit or take a nap then go back in and shop. Then when they got up in yrs it set for awhile, the when they passed away thier boys got it completely re-done inside and out, put it storage at thier shop and it set for about 10 yrs. Wasn't looking for one, but they called one day and asked if we would use it, wanted to keep it in the family so i grabed it. my wife thought i stupid but it sure has grown on her. We got a harley and would like to get a small inclosed trailer and take off and camp then get on the bike and sight see. Like i said it only has 20,456 miles on her, just needs some TLC and a little work on her, which i love doing. Again thanks for everyone's help. Sure i will ask for a lot more before am done.