Old 08-05-2009, 06:56 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe View Post
Well, thanks Brad, but don't actually call it back on the road yet. I'm still putting the interior back together.
Just a minor technicality, right?!

Quote:
Later today if I get done with my work in time I'll rip out some more carpet in anticipation of laying the new hardwood floor.

Lowes had a "Handscraped Hickory" in the Swiftlock Plus line that matched the rest of the hickory trim in the coach so that is what is going in.

As always a work in progress and coming to a golf course or pro tour event in the south east soon.
We will be adding a hardwood floor in our 310 as well. Got a great deal at a surplus place and couldn't pass it up. You'll have to post pictures once you get your flooring in.

Enjoy your new improved coach!

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Well the floor got done over the Sunday and early Monday that I had off this past weekend and as I had an eleven day trip planned and couldn't stand the thought of that many more nights in hotels... I'm on the road again.

All systems are go...EXCEPT the GearVendor.

The GV will not stay engaged. You can feel it drop into overdrive and it is very much confirmed by the drop in RPM's and the lowering of the noise but even with a gentle foot on the gas it will jump/slide back out into direct.

I've attempted to operate in manual and in autodrive on the control box but hey I'm new to the GV. I didn't get a operators book with this beast and could use some help here.

I can tell you that the new engine just wants to run. My trip up to Charlotte on Tuesday morning had me a couple of times look down and say "slow down boy."

Now if I could just get it to stay in overdrive I'd be one very happy camper.

Ideas?

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:32 PM   #45
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Hello Glen,

I have the same GV unit in my Ford. I had a similar problem with mine until i got it dialed in. First off.. the folks at GV are very helpful and they offer free technical advise for life. You can look them up on the web and give them a call. But maybe its simple. Have you checked the fluid level in the unit? It takes a real light oil thats expensive. That information is also on the web. The unit is basically the same as we used to run on the old Volvos. Its a hydraulically operated (via an electric solenoid) planetary gear set. There is a small piston that is pumped by shaft rotation once the rig gets rolling (around 30 mph) and it builds up enough line pressure that when the solenoid is engaged redirects the fluid pressure to engage a cone clutch which inturn spins a set of overdrive planetarys.. simple.

So either you dont have enough fluid pressure due to low fluid level, or the orings in the two small pistons are cracked or shrunk and leaking past. If the truck wont go anywhere in reverse then you can assume the oneway sprague clutch is slipping in the unit. And/or the lining on the cone clutch could be worn away.

Its possible that you dont have a good ground or 12V connection at the solenoid. You could test that by simply applying 12 volts to the feed side of the solenoid. If this is the problem your overdrive will engage around 30 mph and stay engaged.
some basic things to check..
Good luck..

Vinnie

Gear Vendors under/overdrive, Video Downloads. SEMA Interview 2008

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It's been 10 years since I had a GV in my truck but if I remember the unit will not drop a set position without an electrical command.

I did not see what transmission you are using but if it is one with a locking converter the additional throttle pressure would unlock the converter and increase the the engine speed. It is hard to tell the difference untill you get used to the inter working of both.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Thanks to all who have chimed in so far.

I've had my mechanic in touch with GV since we started and have talked with them myself in the past.

I've just pulled in to the Wal-Mart in Brevard NC after a trip across I-40 tonight from Hickory. The GV worked like a charm tonight and I'm wondering if the fact that the unit sat unused for almost a year caused the seals to shrink and they may have swollen back up? We did service the unit with new factory spec fluid prior to installing it.

Howe points out an interesting option that I had not thought of as far as the converter being the culprit.

All I can say is that tomorrow is another day and that with the GV working the difference is just out of this world. Being able to zoom along at 65-70 and hear oneself think in the cab is so worth the effort and expense.

Ya'll keep your fingers crossed that this has actually sorted itself out on it's own. I know that may be unlikely but remember I'm one of the luckiest folks you know. Look what I get to drive for a daily driver!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 08-16-2009, 06:57 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe View Post
Thanks to all who have chimed in so far.

I've had my mechanic in touch with GV since we started and have talked with them myself in the past.

I've just pulled in to the Wal-Mart in Brevard NC after a trip across I-40 tonight from Hickory. The GV worked like a charm tonight and I'm wondering if the fact that the unit sat unused for almost a year caused the seals to shrink and they may have swollen back up? We did service the unit with new factory spec fluid prior to installing it.
Glen, any news since the 14th as to how its operating?

Inquiring minds need to know......

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
GV speed sensor

We had a problem with ours dropping out of OD at inappropriate times. Turned out it was a bad speed sensor
Debbie
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Debbie, was the light on the GV control box changing as it slipped out of gear? Mine is not changing just stays green.

We're going to swap out the solenoid switch and tray again.

Speed sensor might, might not, be the answer, thanks for the ideas.

I'm looking forward to getting it all right.

It's going to be a few more weeks but I should have it back the end of the week just in time for us to fly off to Washington state for a long overdue vacation.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 08-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
the light changed

when it went in and out
Jason at GV is REALLY knowledgable
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:27 PM   #52
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
Glen
When I installed my GV all worked well for about a month then it started droping out of OD and the light would change back to red. I had to replace the Suburbans speedo cable to correct the broblem. I have had thousands of trouble free miles with the GV.

Dave
1965 Chev Carryall

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/...ind%20Rebuild/
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Finally, after many months back and forth this summer we have Airstream One back in action. Yesterday I took it for an extended shake down cruise with some highway action down I-95 included.

It Works!!!

Life is good and I'm able to get 70 mph at about 2600 rpm. At 55 on the secondary roads it's at about 2250-2300 and just loafing along.

As things have worked out this year Airstream One made it's first appearance on the professional golf tour I'm working this year, and now this week it will appear at the last event of the full season. Not quite what we had planned but so it goes.

The wait has been worth the final product and next weekend we're taking off for Cycle North Carolina and we'll get a chance to actually use it as a camper.

See you all out on the road.

Oh, the problem was the solenoid switch.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 09-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #54
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Hey Glen,

Was the problem the floor operated switch or the actual solenoid mounted on the GV unit? Someone installed the ground for the control unit on mine to the floor switch. After a while the floor switch loosened up enough for the ground to wiggle loose and the OD went in and out like you described. Its reasonable to expect the floor switch to wear out after time just like a floor mounted high / low beam switch. Glad you got it worked out.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Vinny, seems it was the solenoid switch this time. All is working and I'm traveling this week in luxury again.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach