Old 03-27-2002, 07:36 AM   #15
Dr Joe
Central , South Carolina
OK Frank, Peter and Cliff:
Yes,I think we have the problem eye-balled. Checked with Chev guy - he says that from what I am describing it is NOT engaging and disengaging properly. In other words, he says it is staying engaged when it should not be engaged and is engaging when it is not needed, so he recommends replacing.
Checked with Carquest - Fan clutch for my l984 LE9W 454 Engine is $110.00, and my mechanic says he can put it on in about an hour. Just to be on the safe side because I don wan no problems going to Pensacola next week, I will get it done today.
Dr Joe

winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 08:36 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Clutch fan

And now for more clutch fan info. In my history of working on equiptment, I have not experienced a clutch that stays engaged. The clutch usually will not engage if decective. The reasons for failure are usually, silicone has leaked out of unit or temp control valve become defective. I've never seen a unit cause any other damage. Big block Chevy 454 is used in many heavy duty applications and as such many quality heavy duty clutchs are available.
The test I have used with great sucess for many years to determine the condition of a fan clutch is... With the engine idleing, using a 3 ft piece of heater hose, fold in half and attempt to stop fan but holding hose against fan as it is turning. If fan stops immediately upon contact, the clutch is defective. Good fans will keep on turninf reguardless of force applied. Sometimes when watching fan as engine is started, the fan will not turn at engine speed FRank.

Visit Idaho The people are great
FrankR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 09:52 AM   #17
Dr Joe
Central , South Carolina
Frank - I appreciate your comments, and there is probably a bit of a doubt factor, but to be safe, my mechanic has already gotten the part and is going to put it in for me this afternoon - If that is not the problem, then we have at least elimjianted one of the possible causes. Really appreciate y our inputs,
Dr Joe
Old 03-27-2002, 04:34 PM   #18
Dr Joe
Central , South Carolina
Hello Everybody!!!! Problem is Solved!!!!! Peter was right with his first hunch! I drove Big Girl (as we call her) from home over to the shop - about 10 miles and the bad reving occured all the way. My Mechanic was able to get the Fan Clutch for $85.00 and took him a half an hour to install it ($30.00) The Chev People told me the clutch would cost $120.00 and it would take 2 hours @ $65.00 to put it in.
I could not believe I was driviing the same vehicle home from the shop - It was so quiet - it has NEVER run this quiet since we have owned it - My wife and I think the people who had it sold it because they thought the transmission was going out. In fact, one Chev garage service manager told me that he thought my problem was that the high gear was slipping back into second gear while driving on the Interstate. In any event thanks to Peter and you guys, We NO LONGER have the problem - Looking foward to meeting you fellows at the rally in Pensacola,
Thanks Again, Dr Joe
Old 08-18-2002, 09:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Yorkshire , England
Big FAN...

Hi Guys...
Glad U got it sorted out, there's NOTHING worse than NOT knowing, except the COST of repairing it...LOL,
On a lighter note, this is the ONLY joke I have on FANS...

Q- " What do U call a FARMER, who has gone back to using HORSES to plough his land..."

A- an extractor-FAN....
Sorry Guys...B-Good 2day...Chris.....
It's NICE 2B Important...but it's more Important 2B NICE...Chris.....
canny_banjo_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #20
Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
You are hearing the fan clutch engaging the fan which makes considerable noise and many people have thought they were having a runaway engine. This is NORMAL for the chevy. I taught Automotive Technology for seven years, and we had many folks think the engine was blowing up because of the fan noise. When it doesn't work the temp will rise and bad things will happen!

kmpro is offline   Reply With Quote