Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36
Cincinnati , Ohio
Engine noise when driving

I need some help.
When I am "full gas", the engine is fairly noisy on my 1994 MOHO. When the belt fan clutches, it is also very noisy. Who knows if it is normal on those MOHOs and if there is a solution to reduce the noise.
At the beginning, it was worse and we have found a crack exhaust manifold and a lack of tune up of the engine. Those issues have been fixes. It is just noisy while driving.
When I put the cruise control, the device has a trend to go often also on full gas position as soon as there is a slope. Again, more noise.

Thanks for your help,

Philip
philippes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The howl from the fan clutch is normal, unless it howls all the time, cold or hot. That would indicate a siezed clutch, and would require replacement.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I agree with Terry, sure sounds like a fan clutch. I'd eliminate that possibility before looking any farther.

When that fan clutch kicks in it can sound like turbo kicking in at times (without the added boost of course ).

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
If you establish that your engine is operating properly, you may find that improving the sound insulation on the dog house and the 'cockpit' floor (raised area where the driver and passenger seats mount) can reduce the noise quite a bit. The air cleaner also has a role in reducing the noise of the throttle sucking large quantities of air and fuel.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
When you say full gas, I assume you mean full throttle and if so, the noise is most likely caused from the rush of air being sucked into the engine. Solution - stay out of the mountains
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Trucks are simply noisier. The diesel forum guys have had luck with lead foil sheeting from Mc master- carr
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:22 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
My 310 was noisy, but can be attributed to the viscous fan (clutch stuck on).
I replaced the lot with electric fans, and presto! it is like driving a car......

Not only is it quieter, but the engine is more responsive and it gave me about another 1-1.5 mpg on average

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36
Cincinnati , Ohio
You are hitting the nail on the head. It is a combinaison of the three.
#1 the clutch, on/off to cool down the engine. Very distinct noise. I was wondering if there is an opportunity to add an extra water cooling system (I seen some with a bank something system that add extra power) that will further cool the engine and does not require to clutch the fan so often
#2 the overall noise going through the dog house and the floor: what I am reading is that I should try additional insulation
#3 full throttle: this one is really very noisy and I am wondering if it is normal. It makes a deep noise. As soon as there is some sloop on the interstate, basically, you must be almost full throotle. I think that those Airstream were underpower.

Thanks for all the advises,

Philip
philippes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
At full throttle, the deep howling roar is the sound of air and fuel getting dumped into the air intake, and that is more or less normal. You have a 36 foot long motor home, which is very heavy, so it takes a lot of muscle to get it rolling. Most RV's use an RV ground cam to increase torque and fuel economy, at the expense of top speed (horsepower) As you know, torque is how much "stuff" an engine will move, and horsepower is how fast it will move it.
As for the fan, you can remove the fan and fan clutch, and install an electric radiator fan, and save some effort of the engine.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
try taking your hand (with the engine off) and rotate the fan, if it moves freely or with minnimal resistance it is fine and probably a result of the thermal spring engageing it. When you say full gas that beast is making horsepower and heat. What is your temp guage saying if it goes up then the noise happens then comes down it is normal esspecially if it is hot outside.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
If your MH is newer than a 1990, it may well have electric cooling fans
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
You won't see electric fans on a big truck, they simply can't move the air. The mechanical fan, clutch, and associated radiator shrouding is designed to work together. I wouldn't change it (though I would see about replacing those components; and/or sealing the shrouding better). Outguessing factory engineers on drivetrain cooling is a bad idea. The thermal loads can be tremendous.

Just because someone else is "okay" with a change is not sufficient reason, not to mention lack of proper testing.

The ADDITION of a helper, or pusher, fan may work to keep the bigger fan from cutting in "prematurely".

It's a truck, it's meant to work. Enjoy it. Understand that you are overpowered on the flats, and only somewhat underpowered on hills. You'll establish a rhythm in time, just stand on that thing EARLY to get it cooking properly!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:38 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Webb Lake , Wisconsin
solution

the best solution for all of this is to buy a really good stereo system and turn it up louder than the noise that the engine is making!

Ignorance is bliss.
Olielulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I am intrested what was it and how did you fix it?
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote