Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2002, 03:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Question Electrical System Question

My understanding of the electrical system is that my 345 has no inverter that changes the DC 12v into 110v AC. All of the lights, pump, and fans run on 12v DC. If I want to use my microwave or any other 110v AC appliance, I need to be on land power or run th generator.

The Univolt charges the 12v batteries from land/generator power and interrupts the land power if the generator turns on.

My understanding of other units is that they have an inverter that converts the DC power into 110v AC for on-board use with land power or the generator (except for the A/C). Do I have this right?
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 06:32 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

RV electrical

I am not familar with your particular Motorhome, but I am familar with rv stuff........I cannot say if your RV has or previous owner installed an inverter. An inverter is an electrical device which creates 120 volts ac from batteries or 12 volt dc. A microwave needs to be powered by 120 volts ac. The source can be shore power or a properly sized inverter or gen set. To the best of my experience the univolt will continue to charge the batteries intil there is no 120 volt ac source. The univolt converters do not have a transfer built into unit. The common ac voltage in USA is refered to as 120 volt ac. In the past the voltage was about 100-110 volts ac. By federal rules a utility is to supply no less than 117 volts ac. The higher the voltage the better. A ac voltage of 123-125 is wonderful. Voltage higher than 120 volts will only allow the electrical device to operate faster, where as a lower voltage will destroy anything. This is why long power cables must be of sufficient wire size to carry a amps load. Sizing wire sizes and electrical equiptment is very important. Having an inverter that is too large is great, but an inverter sized too small will destroy the unit. In my rv Bus, I use 3 inverters as some are dedicated to a specificate task.. Our refrig is 120 volts ac, no propane....Frank
Old 03-16-2002, 07:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I bought a small 300watt inverter to use in mine on the road , along with the ac/dc tv so my kids can play their video games, and not run the onan. I have seen others with powerful inverters to run things like the microwave, etc. I got a great deal offf ebay on the small one.running it.
The refrig runs on gas when ac is not running it.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote