Old 10-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
1992 AS Land Yacht 36'

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Electrical gremlins in steering column

I have a 36' 1992 AS Land Yacht built on a P30 chassis.

Seems I have some issues in that are common to the steering column.

The first problem is with the horn . Noticed a couple a days ago that I heard the sound of a horn in the distance while sleeping at a race track. Seemed to be blowing for an hour or so and than quit. The next day I found my starter battery dead. Turns out the horn was mine and just went off on it's own. I charged the battery but found I still had a 2 amp draw with the ignition off. No sound from the horn but unplugging the horn fuse and that stopped the draw. plugged the fuse back in and the draw came back. Unplugged the horn and it stopped again. Horn must be toast from blowing for an hour straight. Found that, if I turn the steering wheel the current draw stops. My conclusion is that I have a short in the steering column that's intermittent.

The other problem is with the wiper system. When I first start the MH I get one cycle of the wipers every time. Some times the wipers will come on by their own in intermittent mode. Off position doesn't stop them. Low and High work fine. Again I'm assuming that the wires in the steering column are the cause.

Here is my question: Has anyone removed the steering wheel and disassembled the column? What is required to do this?

One of the biggest problems I've found working on the MH is finding the correct parts. I haven't been able to fine a replacement switch assembly or multi purpose switch stalk that looks anything like the one I have. The one I have has a slide switch for the intermittent speed. All the others I've found have a dial around the stalk. Air Stream has been no help since they say that the parts manuals are no longer available and their records don't go back that far.

Any help is very appreciated.

jt240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
The str column contact will look like these...
The vid's in that link may be helpful.

You may be able to borrow a str wheel puller from an autoparts store...the wheel can/will be a bear to get off,😂

Bob
🇺🇸

“We were young and knew nothing...now we are old and everyone else knows everything.”
RLC

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt240z View Post
I have a 36' 1992 AS Land Yacht built on a P30 chassis.

Seems I have some issues in that are common to the steering column.

The first problem is with the horn . Noticed a couple a days ago that I heard the sound of a horn in the distance while sleeping at a race track. Seemed to be blowing for an hour or so and than quit. The next day I found my starter battery dead. Turns out the horn was mine and just went off on it's own. I charged the battery but found I still had a 2 amp draw with the ignition off. No sound from the horn but unplugging the horn fuse and that stopped the draw. plugged the fuse back in and the draw came back. Unplugged the horn and it stopped again. Horn must be toast from blowing for an hour straight. Found that, if I turn the steering wheel the current draw stops. My conclusion is that I have a short in the steering column that's intermittent.

The other problem is with the wiper system. When I first start the MH I get one cycle of the wipers every time. Some times the wipers will come on by their own in intermittent mode. Off position doesn't stop them. Low and High work fine. Again I'm assuming that the wires in the steering column are the cause.

Here is my question: Has anyone removed the steering wheel and disassembled the column? What is required to do this?

One of the biggest problems I've found working on the MH is finding the correct parts. I haven't been able to fine a replacement switch assembly or multi purpose switch stalk that looks anything like the one I have. The one I have has a slide switch for the intermittent speed. All the others I've found have a dial around the stalk. Air Stream has been no help since they say that the parts manuals are no longer available and their records don't go back that far.

Any help is very appreciated.
You probably have a wiper control module underneath your dash. Mine was shot and I had similar issues. Read this thread for more info. On the classics (mine is 1991) they were a Dana/Rostra product. I was able to purchase a replacement part

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ual-87396.html
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
1992 AS Land Yacht 36'

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Thanks for the reply's so far. The horn issue is fixed. Turned out to be a broken turn signal cam switch. The connection to the horn wire was damaged and the the spring was protruding out and touching the steering column intermittently.

Still need to identify the problem with the delay wiper assembly.
jt240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Most likely a PM...👍

Am-zon it.... Ck the numbers in the original to order the correct pulse module.

Bob
🇺🇸

“We were young and knew nothing...now we are old and everyone else knows everything.”
RLC

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote