Old 06-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Brad, look at page 9 of the Banks install manual. This will give you a pretty good idea of what the two heat shields look like. I think you could fab them up fairly easily.
Dean, I don't have the 310 anymore and all of the manuals went with it, the Thorley headers are for my Argosy. I did buy a heat shield for the starter (sort of funky to install on the starter!) but don't recall seeing anything available for the oil filter guess I need to do some googling So no need to worry about pictures!

One thing I noticed about the Banks system was how long the collectors were. They were at least a foot or two longer than any other headers that I have seen in the past. Also if I'm not mistaken they are stainless as the ones on the 310 were at least 15 years old and still looked new.

Brad

bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg_austin View Post
GREAT info gentlemen. Awesome. Sounds like there's a few votes for a single tube so thats the current plan. Dadstoy, I appreciate the banks link. Looks like they're using a 3" pipe after the merge, so should be easy enough to replicate at the fab shop.
While I Love the idea of both headers and the banks system, I'm following the 'if it ain't broke don't' fix it' routine right now. I have no cracked manifolds and am simply looking to have an exhaust that doesn't leak. Frankly, neither of those options are in the budget right now anyway. My Moho runs fair enough, doesn't overheat and has enough power to make it up most hills respectably. So, no immediate need for power or lower temps. Yes, they're both great upgrades, but I'm going to keep it simple for now. I've got plenty of other things I could spend $$ on right now. Like tighter steering.
I"ll look into that heat deflector. Should be easy to fab something up on the cheap!
One thing about the Banks setup is I really do think it improved the overall power and mpg of the 310. Even pulling a 14' trailer with a race car it did really well in the mountains in Kentucky, Virgina, West Virginia and Maryland. One heck of a lot better than the old 27' Winnebago that we had with the same drive train but stock exhaust system.

But I agree, if it ain't broke don't fix it

Old 06-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1995 33' Land Yacht
Tempe , Arizona
Mufflers

Dual mufflers with a cross over pipe, (A pipe about halfway down the two pipes. The Crossover allows the engine prevents the to fire correctly and more power.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:25 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstepp2 View Post
Dual mufflers with a cross over pipe, (A pipe about halfway down the two pipes. The Crossover allows the engine prevents the to fire correctly and more power.
Looks like the banks muffler kills 2 birds with one stone, bringing both single pipes into the muffler inlet before converging to a single pipe. I love it, but doubt I'll be able to duplicate the set-up to that degree. I'll loose the bit of optimization if it means a simple, clean single pipe setup underneath. I'll post up some pictures after its done so we can see what I end up with.
I'll specify what I'd like the shop to do in general, but will leave it up to the tech as to what works and what he can do for my expected price point.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg_austin View Post
Looks like the banks muffler kills 2 birds with one stone, bringing both single pipes into the muffler inlet before converging to a single pipe. I love it, but doubt I'll be able to duplicate the set-up to that degree. I'll loose the bit of optimization if it means a simple, clean single pipe setup underneath. I'll post up some pictures after its done so we can see what I end up with.
I'll specify what I'd like the shop to do in general, but will leave it up to the tech as to what works and what he can do for my expected price point.
Sounds like a good plan

One thing about the Banks muffler, it's HUGE! That was one of the things that impressed me about the Banks system, well that and the nice looking headers
Old 07-01-2015, 07:58 AM   #20
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Not wanting to hijack Ben's thread but on a totally related subject; I have just the 'little' small block on our 20ft and there doesn't seem a Banks option for the 350, and there are about 6 different Thorley headers, none listed for a motorhome - is there a kit to increase gas flow out of the 350/P-30 and improve low end power?
Old 07-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Tri-Y that fits a pickup. Call them.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote