Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Dual tire inflators, good/bad?

Years ago when we got our first motorhome it had a set of dual tire inflators installed that seemed to work rather well. When we got the 310 it didn't have any and I never took the time to buy and install any. Over the years I've heard good and bad things about using them. The worst that I've heard is how if a hose breaks you can suddenly lose air in one of the tires.

Having experienced an inner dually being totally deflated and not knowing it for an unknown number of miles I'm not so sure the deflation risk is all that big a deal.

How many of you run Dual Tire Inflators on your rigs?

Thanks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
How many of you run Dual Tire Inflators on your rigs?
I'll be installing valve extenders on mine this weekend. Along with another valve extender for the spare tire, that attaches to the underside of the rear bumper, so I don't have to crawl underneath anymore to air the spare. Already bought them, just haven't installed them yet.

The main advantage for me is being able to air up the tires anywhere, and not have to look for a truck stop with dual-chuck air hoses. My tires seem to lose about 5psi a month if I don't keep up with them. All seven of them.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
When I had my 310 I used them. Buy the best quality ones you can find, with the braided covers, and be sure you are using them with metal stems in the wheels.

I think the danger of low pressure on an inner tire is more than that of one of the extenders going bad.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #4

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Buy the best quality ones you can find, with the braided covers, and be sure you are using them with metal stems in the wheels.
Agreed. If the valve stems are aluminum (most metal ones are, these days) and the threaded fittings on the valve extensions are also aluminum, then a dab of dielectric grease on the threads will prevent galling that could make them tough to remove when you rotate tires.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
After a Goodyear dealer (that had a 345) told me about the horror stories, I checked mine; both were braided and chafing rather badly. I took 'um off.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
When I had my 310 I used them. Buy the best quality ones you can find, with the braided covers, and be sure you are using them with metal stems in the wheels.

I think the danger of low pressure on an inner tire is more than that of one of the extenders going bad.
On our 310 the inner dually that went flat didn't have extenders installed. I believe it was on our maiden trip home after picking up the motorhome and while stopped at a Wal-mart to buy some batteries I was walking around the coach and noticed the outer dually looked low. I then checked the inner and realized that the tire bead was actually unseated from the rim. At that point we called RVRoadHelp and they came and replace the inner wheel/tire with the spare.

That service call created a different problem which was to much air pressure (105 psi) in the rear duallies but that's a different story!

I agree good quality braided covers would be the only way to go.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
After a Goodyear dealer (that had a 345) told me about the horror stories, I checked mine; both were braided and chafing rather badly. I took 'um off.
I would think if there was chafing then they must have been installed incorrectly. I've looked at different kits and as mentioned previously by others, the better quality kits have everything needed whereas the cheaper kits look kinda scary

I know on our first motorhome there was also chafing which is why I removed them. I'm a firm believer that if something is installed the way it was designed to be then problems should be minimal or non-existant.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 12-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
We have the steel braided hose extenders on our inner duals. They have been on there for at least the 7 years we have owned our 345. No chafing problems.
I also have a tire pressure monitor system installed. That is the ONLY way to go! I know what each tire's pressure is all the time.
I have replaced all 3 of our steel wheels (inner duals, and spare). I had two of them get stress cracks in the welds between the rim and the center.
They are 26 years old. The aluminum wheels no problem.
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
When I installed my Valve extensions yesterday, I went with short rigid aluminum ones, just long enough to stick out about far enough to put an air chuck on them (straight on the inner tire, J-shaped on the outer tire). Seemed like a better idea than the floppy braided ones that you have to pin in place.

I did go with a braided line on my spare, though, with the end of the line attached to the rear bumper. Now I don't have to crawl underneath to check the spare. My arthritic knees thank me.