Old 06-19-2003, 04:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Drivers A/C Heater Question

1988 Classic 345
On the passenger side a large air intake vent is located in front of the passengers feet. I have removed everything around this vent, including a rotten floor, to solve a leak problem. My question is what causes the spring loaded door to move? None of the heater / A/C controls moves the door. Seems like it should be open for Max AC. Anyone know?

Old 06-19-2003, 04:50 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Follow up question. What is the purpose of the plastic pan below this vent. Since the floor is partially gone it is loose. Is this where A/C water collects?

Old 06-19-2003, 05:38 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Adams , Tennessee
Sounds as if you have a leaking heater core or window if the floor
is rotted out. There should be a 1/2 inch rubber hose that runs
under the condenser box for the dash A/C in the center under the dash. On each side there should be a hose about one inch long
tee'ed to the same size and run over to the right side of the engine cover this should have a 90 degree elbow to the same size tubing going down through the floor to the outside of the vehicle. That is where the condinsation drains if your dash
air works if not check the heater core and if thats not it its
probably coming from the top front corner of the side window
re vulcum the entire window frame around the edges. I'm
replaceing some flooring in my 310 project the screws that held the stationary glass rusted out and the glass seperated from the
front of the frame and left a nice size access port for rain water
to enter. the previous owneer fixed with duct tape so as you can imagine it didn't last very long. I am rebuilding both of my side
windows. Right now I bet I have one of the only Convertable
airstream 310's ever.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:41 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Adams , Tennessee
vent

That vent is just a deflector for the heater duct it can be adjusted to direct air downward if desired nothing moves it but your hand
Old 06-22-2003, 09:07 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Bfrank
Thanks for your input. The leak was along the windshield. I used duct tape until I got the sealant. Leak has stopped.
To inspect the plumbing you described, what do I have to remove to see it? Where can I see it ... inside, outside, or underneath?

I am still confused regarding the large vent at the passenger's feet. The door is not reachable unless the front vent cover is removed. I can then press on the spring loaded door, opening the airway to what seems to me would be a recircualtion position for max air or for max heat. I have not been able to confirm that however as I can not get the door to move mechanically, only manually when I push on it.
The only adjustable vent are the air vents at the top of the dash.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If it is a door for inside/outside air it is probably vacuum operated. Could be bad hoses, control or the vacuum motor.

John
Old 06-27-2003, 08:04 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Hey, guys. I'm new to the forum, just joined last night, but I've been restoring my '74 Argosy 24 for a couple of years now.

All of the heat/AC controls in my MH are vacuum operated. All of the vacuum motors were defunct, and the hinges on the moving flaps were also immobile.

I had to find modern replacements for the vacuum motors and adapt them, since the originals were no longer available. Motorcraft has a fairly extensive line of these items (see below - apparently all of the vacuum AC control parts were sourced from Ford). If you can find a stocking distributor, you may be able to match yours up with the ones they carry.

I trust that Airstream got a lot more sophisticated with their AC controls over the years. My system works fine now, but it was a real challenge finding certain items. The dash control fan switch was long gone. I finally found out that the control unit was from a '72 Mustang with factory air! I suppose the early MH designers just picked whatever parts worked for them, regardless of manufacturer.

Bob McKeown
Nashville
Old 06-27-2003, 08:43 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Welcome to the forum.
I am refurbishing my 1988 345 Classic. I now know all about the indoor / outdoor vacuum operated vent door. The problem was that the vacuum hose (blue in color) had disintegrated in the center of the coach. Both ends were still solid. I spliced the line by inserting the ends into a new vacuum line. Unfortunately I had to disassemble everything to figure it out.
The weather striping and foam covering on the vent door totally disintegrated upon touch. I have removed it. Any suggestions on what I should put back if anything.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:42 PM   #9

Same heater problem

Would ou please explain the routing of the vacuum hose - from where to where ?
Is it under the dash or can you reach it by the front cover ( outside)? Thank you in advance for you reply. I have a 1989 345LE with the 454 chevy.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Linda W.
Would ou please explain the routing of the vacuum hose - from where to where ?
Is it under the dash or can you reach it by the front cover ( outside)? Thank you in advance for you reply. I have a 1989 345LE with the 454 chevy.
It has been quite a while since that project.
The lines I found that were disintegrated were visible from the front by opening the access hood. They look like wires actually and color may not be detectable from the dirt that builds up on them. They will terminate eventually at a vacuum booster / resivoire located under the passenger compartment, accessable over the front tire and at the device being controlled. A main line should run from the carburetor to the booster canister.
I hope I got this correct as it is the way I remember mine.
Good luck.
Joe
Old 08-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
milton , Georgia
Hey Man
My name is Jason. I have the same rig and the same problem. Looking from outside to the engine compartment I can see a piece of the blue line poking out. Can you tell me where that line goes? None of my AC controls work and I have just started my research and repair. Thanks
Old 08-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Elkmont , Alabama
Isn't that door controlled by the knob on the passengers side?