Old 03-07-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
Does the amount of engine oil increase with the addition of a larger oil cooler?

I recently replaced my original oil cooler ('88, 345, 454) with a new one that is easily twice the size of the original. The original was no longer available and I was told that a larger one would be better anyways, no pun intended. Now my question is whether the old dip stick line which I assume was based on the volume with the original cooler is accurate? Or should I consider adding additional oil to compensate for the space in the new much larger cooler?

Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Since the cooler is bigger you will need a small amount of additonal oil. But the original dipstick will indicate that correctly. Just fill to the full line. Adios, John

Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Yup, almost certainly the larger cooler will take more oil, but the dipstick indicates where the moving parts of your engine and oil pump want the oil level to be ...
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
Thanks for the advice. I thought that once the engine was off the oil in the cooler would drain back into the engine and once the engine was running again the oil pump would start the oil back through the cooler and so forth.
Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Las Vegas , Nevada
Mr. D- Our 345LE w/454 has a huge oil cooler and the Amsoil kit which includes two oil filters, one filter is same size as "stock" filter then the by-pass filter that seems to be about 3x size of "stock". Both of these are spin ons' mounted on a base plate located near radiator, now with everything added up a oil change w/filters takes 11 quarts. Oil pan sump appears stock but I remember the first time I did an oil change, after the 8th. quart was added I kept "looking" to see where all the oil was going. That was many changes ago and all is well. I have stock dipstick (as far as I know) and use the marks as normal guide.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The dipstick indicates the amount of oil in the pan. After the cooler is installed, fill the crankcase to the full mark, install a new filter, and start the engine. Let it run for a minute or so, then turn it off. Go have a cup of coffee. After you are done with the coffee, check the oil level on the dipstick, and add to the full mark again, keeping track of how much oil you put in (duh). That amount plus the original fill amount will be your new capacity.
Sorry for the oversimplification, but the next guy reading this thread may not be as mechanically inclined.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote