Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Dodge Rear-end Question

My 06 Dodge Cummings 2WD is in the shop for the following problem. The ring and pinon gear bearings have gone out. Have been noticing a whine for some time but did not know where it was coming from in the vehicle. I have 91,000 miles and due to my over sight, the rear-end had never been serviced. The Dodge is 6000 miles over the extended warranty.

I do an average of 10,000 miles towing each year. I have had other trucks which I have driven over 180,000 without servicing the rear-end and never experienced a failure.

Due to my dumb mistake I'm having to pay several thousand dollars for the repair. I have talked with a couple of Dodge mechanic's who told me that servicing the rear-end had no bearing on the failure. They had seen similar failures at 40,000 miles.

I am surprised by the failure since I had never a similar one before. Crysler was really looking for a loop hole on this one and found it. Wondering if anyone else has had the same?
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Setting up a rear end is no shade tree mechanic job. Precision matters greatly (to the point I'd rather have a HIGHLY recommended shop do the work; or, a junkyard axle, my default choice for DIY).

And, so long as there have been axles of this sort, there have been premature failures. I wholly agree that the AAM Axle in your truck should have lasted the life of the truck (with the possible exception of the anti-slip).

Discuss with them the possible causes as a mis-mounted axle (spring attachment welds) or "bent" driveshaft, etc, all need to be inspected as major/minor contributing causes. Right down to motor/transmission mounts and u-joints, all should be inspected for increased wear as well. (While not likely, it's good time -- up on the rack -- to have a long look).

I would post this question on one of the CTD boards for more insight.

2WD & 6-speed: Universal Joints, Driveshaft, Vibrations - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Whats the diff service interval in your owners manual?
It isnt 100k
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Don't beat yourself up to bad. My 07 F-150's rear end dumped at 68000 miles and had not pulled anything except a 4500 lb SOB for less than 1000 miles when it had only 34,000 miles. It is a fleet vehicle that is serviced according to the book. Some of us just have bad luck I guess.
Happy trails,
Joe
Old 09-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Bearings are bearings.

Hi, it's not your fault or Chrysler's fault. A bearing is a bearing; It could have been a wheel bearing, an axle bearing, a gear box bearing, or any other bearing on that truck or your trailer for that fact. The warranty has nothing to do with it. Pieces fail, and that's just the facts of life. Consider yourself way ahead of the game because your other vehicles escaped this failure.

An other way to look at it is, that maybe a friend or neighbor had to have a hip or knee replacement and you didn't. In that case I would gladly accept a bearing failure instead.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Or it could be poorly made parts or poor design or poor installation. I now have 160,000 miles on my '02 Toyota Tundra and about 90,000 of those miles pulling my '97 Excella 25. You know what I'm gonna' say next......not a single rear end problem or failure. Add to that, I've been over many many mountain passes higher than 8500'. Yep, I've been over the million dollar highway between Ouray and Silverton. What is it, something like 11,300 feet high. Yep, I've been over WOLF Creek Pass, etc. etc.. The most difficult was that one high pass between Rock Springs and Grand Junction. Even my avitar pic was taken this spring at Yellowstone via Jackson. Not a single rearend problem. It would appear that the bottom 10% of the class had to find jobs somewhere and it turned out to be Dodge and Ford.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Bob,

I follow one of the major Dodge forums and I don't remember seeing a bunch of posts on axel issues, but as with any machine of this nature issues can develop.

But didn't Toyota have a small problem with gas pedals recently?

I'd prefer to hear reports on the findings of the tear down and if there are any factors that as were earlier pointed out contributed to the problem on this truck.

Several aftermarket companies offer oversize diff covers that claim a reduction in temps and an increase in lube volume to help with tow rigs. Some even come with drain plugs and dipsticks to allow for easy checking and changes.

I own 3 Dodge P/U's right now and I would not look at another brand if I needed to replace MY rig.

gaylejoe, good luck with your truck.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
Or it could be poorly made parts or poor design or poor installation. I now have 160,000 miles on my '02 Toyota Tundra and about 90,000 of those miles pulling my '97 Excella 25. You know what I'm gonna' say next......not a single rear end problem or failure. Add to that, I've been over many many mountain passes higher than 8500'. Yep, I've been over the million dollar highway between Ouray and Silverton. What is it, something like 11,300 feet high. Yep, I've been over WOLF Creek Pass, etc. etc.. The most difficult was that one high pass between Rock Springs and Grand Junction. Even my avitar pic was taken this spring at Yellowstone via Jackson. Not a single rearend problem. It would appear that the bottom 10% of the class had to find jobs somewhere and it turned out to be Dodge and Ford.
At the Ford Arizona Proving ground in Yucca, Az we had a Toyota pickemup shuck the ring and pinion whilst on trailer tow duty. Was about the 30K mile mark.This was a 2005 model pickemup truck.
Adios,John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Hey, Be nice here. Every truck will have problems. maybe some more than others maybe not. But all have a few lemons. We don't need to start a bashing session here. It's been done before.

As the saying goes SH*T happens. Now matter what you do.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Hey, Be nice here. Every truck will have problems. maybe some more than others maybe not. But all have a few lemons. We don't need to start a bashing session here. It's been done before.

As the saying goes SH*T happens. Now matter what you do.
Hi, I think the bashing or bragging started here. [post # 6]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Is it possible to tear out a ring and pinion at full power tests pulling heavy loads, etc. Sure! You can do it with any brand. However, the OP did not suggest he was driving in any abnormal style. His post suggests he was driving in normal every day mode, well within normal use. For his Dodge to develop problems in this mode has prompted the OP's concern. Can Dodge do a better job building their Rams.....Sure! If they don't, Dodge's sales and the jobs behind them will go to people who can get the job done. It would be a shame because they have such a fine diesel in the Cummins.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Is it possible to tear out a ring and pinion at full power tests pulling heavy loads, etc. Sure! You can do it with any brand. However, the OP did not suggest he was driving in any abnormal style. His post suggests he was driving in normal every day mode, well within normal use. For his Dodge to develop problems in this mode has prompted the OP's concern. Can Dodge do a better job building their Rams.....Sure! If they don't, Dodge's sales and the jobs behind them will go to people who can get the job done. It would be a shame because they have such a fine diesel in the Cummins.
Agreed.......But the Ford diffs didn't fail in the same exact test! Only the Toyota! Adios,John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I'd bet Toyota is busting their hump trying to figure out what happened and how to fix it, just like the effort to find out why the gas pedals stuck, etc. How many recent news flashes have you seen about Toyota vehicles having rapid accelerations? So....what do you think, is Dodge busting their hump trying to figure out why this guy's rear end went south?

I should add, some of my friends drive Dodges, one of which has spent more time in the shop than on the road. He just can't seem to find value in his choice.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I think that the driveshaft is the fuse, it will twist in half before the rearend grenades.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
a lot depends on why the bearing/s failed. it could be as simple as a speck of dirt getting in the oil when being checked.

catching the failing part early, might have limited the parts damaged. once pieces of metal circulate in the oil, it isn't prudent to not gut the differential housing including the axle bearings.

my preference would be to find a reputable shop that builds rears for race cars or a complete salvaged unit. setting up the rear is a specialty art.

on the positive side, you get to pick a different ratio if you want.

as for the price, i'd get a few estimates first.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Please don't feel to bad. I know it hurts the budget.but,we live on a very busy 2 lane road and I have noticed a lot of Dodge trucks,mostly 1500's with rear-ends going out,I can hear the singing a 1/2 mile away. I however have no idea what yr this trucks are,and I doubt very seriously they have EVER pulled anything only themselves.
I have an F150 here with 143 k miles and it has NEVER had the rears serviced. Ive checked the oil but thats it.
I have no knowledge of who Chyrsler got thier bearing from but as I hear them go down the road here ,it appears they got a bunch of bad bearings. I don't hold with Brand Bashing. I dont care for anything but Ford ,but that's just me,everyone has thier favorite brand, its not the brand or poor workmanship, its the bearing suppliers that have cheapened their product into failure.
Good Luck
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Angry

Quote:
I'd bet Toyota is busting their hump trying to figure out what happened and how to fix it, just like the effort to find out why the gas pedals stuck, etc. How many recent news flashes have you seen about Toyota vehicles having rapid accelerations? So....what do you think, is Dodge busting their hump trying to figure out why this guy's rear end went south?

I should add, some of my friends drive Dodges, one of which has spent more time in the shop than on the road. He just can't seem to find value in his choice.

Bob,

I think you need some more fiber in your diet.

You're basically telling someone with a problem, that it is their own darned fault because they bought a lousy product.

How is that helpful?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Just maybe, they will make better choices in the future. It isn't like there isn't a ton of info out there in cyberland warning them of the perils of that choice. The accountablility that comes with their choice becomes obvious when the vehicle is in the shop and the bill arrives.

The guiding philosophy of my life is....Don't INVITE the DEVIL in!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Just maybe, they will make better choices in the future. It isn't like there isn't a ton of info out there in cyberland warning them of the perils of that choice. The accountablility that comes with their choice becomes obvious when the vehicle is in the shop and the bill arrives.

Gosh,
I really want to be super smart like you. I better go out right now and sell my trouble free Dodge that is sure to blow up any minute, and buy one of those rice burners, whose makers spent more time trying to cover up their problems, than they did trying to fix them.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
You do realize the parody about teaching a man to fish and he will feed himself for life wasn't just about fishing for trout. It applies thus.... "Help a man fix one problem and he'll be good until tomorrow. Teach a man to make good choices and he will have fewer problems in life." Who in his right mind could find fault with that? Think about it!!!