Old 09-26-2010, 12:15 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2006 8' Yoder Toter , Jeffersonville Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
Its probley obveous that I am a Ford nut. I am also a mechanic, I work on Fords by preferance. I wasn't knocking Bob's Toyota, I am knocking his uninformed & offensive comments. Most vehicles these day's are reliable when compared to just a few years ago. The reason I and thousands off other fulltime mechanics have jobs is because mechanical things break. Believe it or not they all break from time to time. When Bob put me in the bottom 10% of socity it offends me. Bob's little bio says he is an architect, that implies a bit of book learning. I would have thought he would be more temperite with his remarks. Adios, John
Agreed bobs comments/attitude are uncalled for. Just think it should be dropped/ignored and the thread get back on track..Forums are an easy place to argue because your not face to face.So one does not have to care who they insult. Usually I ignore these people .I am sorry I have
added to the volley here as I have no constructive comments about the
OP's rear end.. I will end my involvement here.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:42 AM   #30

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Keep it Nice and On Topic...

<<Mode Mode>>

The OP had an unfortunate failure and has queried the group about their experience with matters like his. While we recognize the passion associated with brand loyalty we expect the language and tone of posts to remain civil and in compliance with the "Community Policies".

Post according to topic and in a civil manner please.

Thanks,

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I think the whole point has been missed,he never serviced the rear end [duh].Any rear end that doesn`t get serviced will go out.Lack of lubrication = tore up bearings.
Dave
Old 09-26-2010, 11:52 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
I think the whole point has been missed,he never serviced the rear end [duh]. Any rear end that doesn`t get serviced will go out. Lack of lubrication = tore up bearings.
Dave
Hi, unless a pinion seal or something else went bad and leaked, there would still be the same amount of lubrication in the differential, therefore lack of service isn't the cause. Over heated differential, burned out clutches, or submerged in deep water would be good reason for servicing the differential.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Overheated differentals, burnt clutches, and scored bearings come from depleted additives and contaminated gear lube. I have changed diff fluid and had to wipe sludge out of the bottom of the diff while servicing them, there is NO filter to clean the lube. Changing the lube allows you to inspect for problems before they happen. 2qts of gear lube is cheap insurance to me because im not a cheapskate.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, unless a pinion seal or something else went bad and leaked, there would still be the same amount of lubrication in the differential, therefore lack of service isn't the cause. Over heated differential, burned out clutches, or submerged in deep water would be good reason for servicing the differential.
The differential has a vent on it that allows the expanding oil and air to escape and not build up pressure,as the differential cools off it sucks air back in the housing,if you are in a high humidity area ,part of what comes in in water vapor,which condensates to water. Mix water and grease and it turns to sludge,sticking every where in there,except on the gears and bearings,thus something goes out for lack of lubricant.
Dave
Old 09-28-2010, 12:37 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I live a sheltered life.

Hi, I have been working at new car dealers since 1968 [now retired] mostly as a mechanic, but also as a service advisor and shop foreman. I have spent my entire life in Southern California. [except for military service] My opinions are based on my experiences here and not necessarily what you have in other parts of this country. A prime example is when I have to winterize my trailer. (1.) Park trailer in driveway. (2.) Connect to battery charger/maintainer. (3.) Rinse off with garden hose randomly. So what I am saying is that you may have different circumstances affecting your vehicles that we don't ever see here. I worked next to two mechanics from Canada and they were shocked and delighted that you could actually un-screw nuts and bolts without breaking them or using a torch, in Southern California.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote