Old 09-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
a lot depends on why the bearing/s failed. it could be as simple as a speck of dirt getting in the oil when being checked.

catching the failing part early, might have limited the parts damaged. once pieces of metal circulate in the oil, it isn't prudent to not gut the differential housing including the axle bearings.

my preference would be to find a reputable shop that builds rears for race cars or a complete salvaged unit. setting up the rear is a specialty art.

on the positive side, you get to pick a different ratio if you want.

as for the price, i'd get a few estimates first.

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Please don't feel to bad. I know it hurts the budget.but,we live on a very busy 2 lane road and I have noticed a lot of Dodge trucks,mostly 1500's with rear-ends going out,I can hear the singing a 1/2 mile away. I however have no idea what yr this trucks are,and I doubt very seriously they have EVER pulled anything only themselves.
I have an F150 here with 143 k miles and it has NEVER had the rears serviced. Ive checked the oil but thats it.
I have no knowledge of who Chyrsler got thier bearing from but as I hear them go down the road here ,it appears they got a bunch of bad bearings. I don't hold with Brand Bashing. I dont care for anything but Ford ,but that's just me,everyone has thier favorite brand, its not the brand or poor workmanship, its the bearing suppliers that have cheapened their product into failure.
Good Luck

7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #17
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
I'd bet Toyota is busting their hump trying to figure out what happened and how to fix it, just like the effort to find out why the gas pedals stuck, etc. How many recent news flashes have you seen about Toyota vehicles having rapid accelerations? So....what do you think, is Dodge busting their hump trying to figure out why this guy's rear end went south?

I should add, some of my friends drive Dodges, one of which has spent more time in the shop than on the road. He just can't seem to find value in his choice.

Bob,

I think you need some more fiber in your diet.

You're basically telling someone with a problem, that it is their own darned fault because they bought a lousy product.

How is that helpful?

Ken
Old 09-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Just maybe, they will make better choices in the future. It isn't like there isn't a ton of info out there in cyberland warning them of the perils of that choice. The accountablility that comes with their choice becomes obvious when the vehicle is in the shop and the bill arrives.

The guiding philosophy of my life is....Don't INVITE the DEVIL in!
Old 09-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Just maybe, they will make better choices in the future. It isn't like there isn't a ton of info out there in cyberland warning them of the perils of that choice. The accountablility that comes with their choice becomes obvious when the vehicle is in the shop and the bill arrives.

Gosh,
I really want to be super smart like you. I better go out right now and sell my trouble free Dodge that is sure to blow up any minute, and buy one of those rice burners, whose makers spent more time trying to cover up their problems, than they did trying to fix them.

Regards,

Ken
Old 09-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
You do realize the parody about teaching a man to fish and he will feed himself for life wasn't just about fishing for trout. It applies thus.... "Help a man fix one problem and he'll be good until tomorrow. Teach a man to make good choices and he will have fewer problems in life." Who in his right mind could find fault with that? Think about it!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Teach a man to make good choices and he will have fewer problems in life." Who in his right mind could find fault with that? Think about it!!!
Someone who does not agree with your definition of good.

However, I am guessing that by your set of definitions, a person who does not share your definition of good is not is his right mind.

Just another catch 22

Regards,

Ken
Old 09-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A CTD is less likely to have had problems than either a FORD or a GM at 200,000 miles. And ANY axle can go out. This same axle is used by GM in their diesel trucks (but with lesser bearings), and one will not find failures prior to that point among any of them in significant number (that I have come across).

It isn't brand specific and hasn't been for decades on this type of truck. All the above have used DANA or SPICER since the 1970's or earlier with specifications unique to each in some cases. AAM axles may not be loved by enthusiasts as were the older units, but they've been fine thus far. (Even when power has been substantially increased by aftermarket products).

The short story is that you can buy a different brand but have the same axle. Or transfer case. Etc.

The motors and transmissions are a different story (as in, "Ford hasn't built a diesel since 2003 . . . .")

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
I had a bearing go bad in the rear end of my 2004 2500 Ram at 74,000 it just happens but I think it is a reflection on the maufacturers who are squeezing the suppiers to cut costs. Low bid usually means lower quality in manufacturing. Chrysler took care of it , so no complaint on my part.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
At $2395.00 one month after payoff and 6000 miles out of warranty it seems strange. No, I had not kep up with the 40,000 mile service of the rear end since I did not do a lot of heavy pulling. I have never serviced the rear end of any of my previouse trucks with 150,000 miles on them. I believe that Crysler would have covered it had I had a service record for the rear end. My oil and filter changes have been right on time. It was just my stupid mistake and I don't know if regular service would have mattered anyway. I have bee more that pleased with the truck but sure don't look forward to a repeat of this a couple of years down the road.

I sure do appreciate all the imput from you guys.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Galejo
I dont think there was anything you could have done to lengthen the life of that bearing which resulted in a 3rd member failure. I really think the flaw was there from new and no amount of servicing would have changed that.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Attention Bob!! You should really check out toyota's problems before you bash dodge or ford!! I have a f150 4x4 and it 489000 kliks on it! Always dependable and the gas pedal only works when I press it! Small parts to repair are minimal compared to tundra's. One other thought 325 with a 454 not one oil leak or problem have just kept up service!! Did I mention it is a 1988 GMC The Canadian oil state!!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2006 8' Yoder Toter , Jeffersonville Vermont
Wow .The OP is looking for help. And all you kids can do is bash each other and each others brands.
Shame
Old 09-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Its probley obveous that I am a Ford nut. I am also a mechanic, I work on Fords by preferance. I wasn't knocking Bob's Toyota, I am knocking his uninformed & offensive comments. Most vehicles these day's are reliable when compared to just a few years ago. The reason I and thousands off other fulltime mechanics have jobs is because mechanical things break. Believe it or not they all break from time to time. When Bob put me in the bottom 10% of socity it offends me. Bob's little bio says he is an architect, that implies a bit of book learning. I would have thought he would be more temperite with his remarks. Adios, John