Old 02-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Diesel Engine Braking

I was wondering what provision there is for engine braking on the various diesel solutions for the classic motorhome.

Exhaust brake? Jake? ???

What's on the stock isuzu?

Cummins?

Duramax?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
I was wondering what provision there is for engine braking on the various diesel solutions for the classic motorhome.

Exhaust brake? Jake? ???

Cummins?

Duramax?
To the best of my knowledge none of them come with exhaust brakes as stock. It is my understanding that only Cummins will work with a true Jake brake. The others require an exhaust mounted brake. Pac brake and Banks Brake are two that come to mind. I have also seen electric retarders and driveshaft brakes, but they aren't as common. The electric retarders can be found on the older Blue Bird Wanderlodges.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
[quote=guy99]I was wondering what provision there is for engine braking on the various diesel solutions for the classic motorhome.

If there is a provision for engine braking on my engine it was never explained to me.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Doesn't that make them pretty hard on the brakes in the mountains?

What do people with big trailers and diesel pullers do?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Those with the Ford Tow Haul automatic transmission or the Allison automatic in the GM products get a surprising amount of braking when operating in the tow/haul mode through the transmisson. The main thing about driving in the mountains is to slow down and use your lower gears whatever type of transmisson or additional braking one might have.
GStephens
Old 02-10-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
exhaust brakes

Cummins engine brakes are called Jackebson engine brake, better know'n as the jackeb Brake. This is how they work simply stating, Energizing the brake converts a diesel engine into a energy absorbing air compressor, this is done by opening exhaust valves near the top of the compresion stroke, releaseing the compressed charge into the exhaust, the energy used to compress the charge without a firing cycle acts as a brake.. engine brakes are made for steep grades downward decent, to save on drum wheel brakes, and the possibility of over heating drum wheel brakes on a downward decant,whitch is also know'n as smoked the brakes, because of brake shoes overheating. Heat will glaze brake shoes to the point where you will have no brakes. I know Isuzu has exhaust brakes so call a dealer and ask them about it.