Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2003, 07:43 PM   #21
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
One more to really get you fired up!

OK. John you're giving me the courage to think I can change my dash. I dream of a modern dash setup in the AS...but then again I'm strange - I own an Airstream.

This one's out of the Fleetwood Revolution (my second favorite). The gauge cluster (pod) is attached to the steering column and moves up & down and in & out with driver adjustments to the steering wheel position. So the wheel never blocks the gauges! The cool part is that there are no gauge panels on the dash itself. Instead, it's flat and slopes down to the window. Needless to say, forward visibility is pretty darn good.

If you get the chance, stop by an SOB RV show/dealer and check out the dash setups in the highline diesels. Especially the 04's. The Big Mfgs are starting to understand that their new customer drives a Lexus/BMW/Acura and expects the same level of driver control placement and fatigue engineering in their motorhome. I'm sure you would be breaking some kind of AS oath but you might come away with a million ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	revolutiondash.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2969  
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: One more to really get you fired up!

Quote:
Originally posted by swebster@myrvadvanta
OK...I hope these inspire more dash changes. I dream of these dash setups...but then again I'm strange - I own an Airstream.

This one's out of the Fleetwood Revolution (my second favorite). The gauge cluster (pod) is attached to the steering column and moves up & down and in & out with driver adjustments to the steering wheel position. SO the wheel never blocks tha gauges! The cool part is that there are no gauge panels on the dash itself. Instead, it's flat and slopes down to the window. Needless to say, forward visibility is pretty darn good.

I
You like the gages on the steering then how about gages on the steering and from left to right hand drive in under a minute?
http://www.unimogtrucks.com/

I want one of these so BAD! It's so ugly and utilitarian it's cool! I keep trying to justify it to my wife because it has a mower attachement.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote