Old 09-05-2003, 05:40 PM   #15
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
I even saved the image and tried to enlarge for better viewing, but could not make out the words, except 'wipers' left and right.
Talking about those dual wiper switches on the earlier coaches (I assume they changed it later on). I have been thinking about moving the passenger wiper switch to the passenger side for the co-pilot to control.
I have plenty on my hands driving the rig besides having to control two wipers.

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 06:07 PM   #16
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Inspiring work!

Makes me want to rip my dash out! I'm anxious to see where yours ends up. I'm not in love with the 86 layout...switches are too small, hard to read at night, spread out too much, glare off the glass, etc.

87airstream345 - I really like the new Forest River Tsunami dash...not sure how this could be pulled off. Sitting in front of this thing is awesome, everything is positioned exactly an arms length away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tsunami_dash.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	2968  

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 06:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Tim Allen

Auh! Auh! Auh! Auh!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 07:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The Acrylite was $17 for an 11x17 piece, the engraving and to fill the letters was $51. Being as he screwed my piece up, this one of his, and now will have to do another, I would be looking for different help, the profit is disappearing fast.

This piece is 15 1/2" tall, 4 1/8" at the top, 4 7/8" at the bottom (because of the front body curve). It will go alot like the left panel of the Forest River, but not quite so high up, the top is even with the dash (I wish I had seen that before I got where I am, it does look nice and a few ideas I might have stolen). I have a wiring/relay/fuse center that is underneath it. When the photo site is up I will post better pictures, maybe by then I will have one I can work with. It has wipers, lights, mirrors, overdrive, ignition, cruise, rear heat, drink coolers. The back is supposed to be painted black, but this one was not done so I laid it on the garbage bag just to see how it would look.

John
Old 09-05-2003, 07:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
I'm developing a bad case of panel envy!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by 74Argosy24MH
The Acrylite was $17 for an 11x17 piece, the engraving and to fill the letters was $51. Being as he screwed my piece up, this one of his, and now will have to do another, I would be looking for different help, the profit is disappearing fast.

This piece is 15 1/2" tall, 4 1/8" at the top, 4 7/8" at the bottom (because of the front body curve). It will go alot like the left panel of the Forest River, but not quite so high up, the top is even with the dash (I wish I had seen that before I got where I am, it does look nice and a few ideas I might have stolen). I have a wiring/relay/fuse center that is underneath it. When the photo site is up I will post better pictures, maybe by then I will have one I can work with. It has wipers, lights, mirrors, overdrive, ignition, cruise, rear heat, drink coolers. The back is supposed to be painted black, but this one was not done so I laid it on the garbage bag just to see how it would look.

John
Look forward to seeing those pictures! That is really looking cool!
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:43 PM   #21
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
One more to really get you fired up!

OK. John you're giving me the courage to think I can change my dash. I dream of a modern dash setup in the AS...but then again I'm strange - I own an Airstream.

This one's out of the Fleetwood Revolution (my second favorite). The gauge cluster (pod) is attached to the steering column and moves up & down and in & out with driver adjustments to the steering wheel position. So the wheel never blocks the gauges! The cool part is that there are no gauge panels on the dash itself. Instead, it's flat and slopes down to the window. Needless to say, forward visibility is pretty darn good.

If you get the chance, stop by an SOB RV show/dealer and check out the dash setups in the highline diesels. Especially the 04's. The Big Mfgs are starting to understand that their new customer drives a Lexus/BMW/Acura and expects the same level of driver control placement and fatigue engineering in their motorhome. I'm sure you would be breaking some kind of AS oath but you might come away with a million ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	revolutiondash.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2969  
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 09:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: One more to really get you fired up!

Quote:
Originally posted by swebster@myrvadvanta
OK...I hope these inspire more dash changes. I dream of these dash setups...but then again I'm strange - I own an Airstream.

This one's out of the Fleetwood Revolution (my second favorite). The gauge cluster (pod) is attached to the steering column and moves up & down and in & out with driver adjustments to the steering wheel position. SO the wheel never blocks tha gauges! The cool part is that there are no gauge panels on the dash itself. Instead, it's flat and slopes down to the window. Needless to say, forward visibility is pretty darn good.

I
You like the gages on the steering then how about gages on the steering and from left to right hand drive in under a minute?
http://www.unimogtrucks.com/

I want one of these so BAD! It's so ugly and utilitarian it's cool! I keep trying to justify it to my wife because it has a mower attachement.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote