Old 05-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Athens , Georgia
Dashboard A/C blower upgrade

The dash vents on our 1983 310 have low airflow. The flow with the blower on high is about the same as a typical car set on low/medium speed. The vacuum operated damper for dash vent airflow appears to be operating full travel ok. I feel like the blower motor has lost some of its rpm, as is typical for an old D.C. motor in a car. (Have you ever noticed how the electric wipers on your vintage ride to go as fast as they used to?)

I would love to install a blower motor that utilizes modern motor technology as an upgrade, (how about a turbocharger, lol) but I'd settle for a new unit of OEM specification. The squirrel cage housings are cracked, aunt despite lubricating with Tri-Flo teflon spray, the old motor is noisy at times.

Has anybody creative come up with a better blower? Or, does anyone have any leads on an exact replacement, or one that could be made to fit?

310-1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
ACME Air Parts is the only source I know of for RV dash air conditioning parts. I bought the vacuum motors for my Argosy from him.

I'm sure there are other sources and options out there but I don't know what they are!

By the way, welcome to Airforums!

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
My 'Silver Bullet' has the same: not much air flow. These have no cabin filter, so after all these year it's needing some cleaning out. But how to get to it w/o major head ache.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote