Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
New Bern , North Carolina
Dash Fan/Rear Monitor

I'm hoping someone can help me out on this forum. I didn't get any response on the other forum. Here goes:
I had my A/C on high with rear camera on when I stopped for gas. I turned the key and heard a very audible short chirp sound when the engine shut off, but didn't give it another thought at the time.
After gassing up, I started the engine and neither the A/C, dash fan and Camera/Monitor would lite up. What happened?
I checked every fuse that I can locate, including under the hood, under the dash, inside driver side compartment and a pigtail from the monitor.
I'm wondering if there may be a relay somewhere in the mix that may have burned. I also pulled the blower motor resistor, it's not burned. I also reseated the connector at the rotary switch panel and checked all connections.

What is strange to me, why did the camera/monitor quit working at the same time the A/C fan? Could it be tied to the fan circuit or relay?

I hate to post twice but I'm also hoping someone can give me a good starting point to help correct this problem. Thanks.
Steve
spat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by spat61 View Post
I had my A/C on high with rear camera on when I stopped for gas. I turned the key and heard a very audible short chirp sound when the engine shut off, but didn't give it another thought at the time.
After gassing up, I started the engine and neither the A/C, dash fan and Camera/Monitor would lite up. What happened?
I would have to say the audible short chirp that you heard is definitely a clue. Clue to what, wish I could answer that for you.

Quote:
I checked every fuse that I can locate, including under the hood, under the dash, inside driver side compartment and a pigtail from the monitor.
I'm wondering if there may be a relay somewhere in the mix that may have burned. I also pulled the blower motor resistor, it's not burned. I also reseated the connector at the rotary switch panel and checked all connections.
Its very possible that a relay has crapped out on you. The only way you're going to fix this one is to literally trace each power feed back to its source. On our 84 310 the dash A/C blower motor was fused separately in the fuse block provided by GM. Ours didn't come with a backup camera so its hard to say where Airstream might have pulled power from.

Quote:
What is strange to me, why did the camera/monitor quit working at the same time the A/C fan? Could it be tied to the fan circuit or relay?
Knowing how the wiring on our 310 was cobbled together at the factory it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they didn't connect your camera to the same fuse or circuit used by the A/C blower.

Unfortunately finding a solution is going to take some good detective work on your part. Wish I could help more............

Good luck!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote