Old 08-03-2002, 05:23 PM   #29
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Ken,
Both sides of the blower housing have a grill cover. You may want to check if they are clogged up with lint and debris. If you pull the driver and passenger seat, access would be possible without too much disassembling.

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 02:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
front cabin heat

while on this subject of heat in the cabin....has anyone done more than basic insulation around the engine area? My doghouse is well insulated, but a lot of heat still comes in at highway speeds, around it. Especially up by the driver's feet.
I insulated the small heat vent that goes directly to the riser for engine heat, to keep it from adding to the problem. I put some of that aluminum bubble insulator in the vent, and it helped some.
I am wanting to see if anyone used the mat type insulation pads you can glue in to the areas near the engine. I can keep cool at 90 degrees plus with roof air, until I hit the highway speeds and that heat seeps in. Then it is a struggle up front anyway.

Old 08-04-2002, 03:08 PM   #31
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Alan,

I have the same problem with heat. I have noticed, early in the AM when parked with AC on, if I go under the hood there is condensation on the firewall right in fromt of the drivers side. I assume there is little or no insulation there. The glue on sound deading mats should help both with heat and noise. I am considering using the lead foam when I re-do my carpeting and covering the whole drivers side floor and sidewall. Now I just need a reasonable source for it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 04:36 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
let me know how that goes. Also got a source for that insulation mat? I may look at JC Whitney.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:39 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
Perforation?

My AC is on the blink...I took it to a guy who does AC, and he couldn't find any leak after recharging and using a hi tech sniffer. Mine has been converted to 134 two yrs. ago. Now after two weeks, it's starting to blow less cool. I've made an appt. to see an RV guy who does AC...I hope he's familiar with RV ac's!
Anyway, the first guy told me that my doghouse insulation is all falling apart. I asked if he would replace...Homie don't do dat! I wonder what kind of mechanic he is?
So i opened the doghouse today and yep, it's trashed. It's that metallic paper with some kind of sponge stuck to the wall of the DH. So I'm lookin' around and I see that on the left side (driver's) close to the hinge, there's an opening to the engine compartment from the floor. It's on the outside of the DH edge so that's why I smell exhaust at times! (I need headers). I taped it but I think I will try to have someone weld it closed, or use liquid metal.
Where can i get new insulation for the DH?