Old 06-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Originally Posted by gypsychris
hey Brad, you mention "water pump". do you know where the water for that pump is? I found a black container near where the washer fluid container is...could that be "it?" what kind of fluid goes in there?

Also, if anyone has any more advice etc ... could it be a fuse? could it be the thermostat? Where are these?

There is nothing electrical about the fan clutch. Its purely a mechanical device. The water pump is basically smack dab in the upper center of the front of the engine.

That black container is most likely your power steering fluid reservoir. The fan clutch assembly is located between the radiator and the front of the engine. There are only two ways you're going to be able to see it. The first is to lay on the ground and look up into where all the v-belts (or serpentine belt most likely in your case) are. You should see the fan blades where the fan mounts to is the "fan clutch". The fan clutch in turn bolts to the water pump.

Attached you'll see a fan clutch similar to what should be on your engine. Click image for larger version

Name:	typical-fan-clutch.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	61595 You'll see four mounting holes on the upper round disk, thats where the fan clutch bolts to the water pump. The four mounting holes in the middle are where the fan bolts to the fan clutch.

When you're working on it you'll mostly be working blind, reaching down into the fan area. Won't be a fun task but its definitely doable. I doubt that you'll be able to remove the fan and fan clutch as a complete assembly because of the shrould on the radiator, of course you might get lucky!

My guess is you'll need to unbolt the fan from the fan clutch and just let the fan kind of hang on the fan clutch and then unbolt the fan clutch from the water pump. At that point you can pull the fan clutch away from the water pump and then slip the fan off of the fan clutch. I think once you get a good luck at the front of your engine you'll see what I'm talking about. Be real careful not to bang the fan against the radiator. You could damage the fins on the radiator that way.

Good luck!

Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Hi all - I need to buy a new fan clutch for my 250 MH. Vin number is 1GBJP37N0M3301377. Most online stores seem to offer varying options for the P30 chassis, depending on the type of vehicle base e.g. Vin "W" base. For example:

Performance Parts Market - Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog - 1991 Chevrolet P30 Fan Clutch

Now, I always assumed my 250 was a "j" base (see VIN 4th digit) which is slightly smaller and lighter than the "k" base commonly seen in classic MHs. Anyhow, the upshot is I don't know which fan clutch to go for. I intend to ship one to the UK, so I need to be sure I get the right one. Can anyone offer any advice here? Most stores seem to offer 3 or 4 types for the different bases. Napa only offer one - perhaps I should go with them. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I would go for the heavy-duty, thermostatically controlled fan clutch.
The non-thermo type is a "dumb" clutch, it doesn't know if the engine is hot or not. The thermostat will allow more fan movement when hot.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Originally Posted by Alumatube View Post
What can happen when a fan clutch engages inappropriately? I just had mine replaced on our Dakota, and it engages a lot when it should not (at starting, initial take-off, and taking off from a light or stop sign). It seems to work correctly otherwise. I have to go on an 1,800 mile trip starting tomorrow, the dealership did not order the part in to fix it (I took it back in enough time) because the foreman wanted a "second opinion" from the guy who did the work. He assured me that there would be no problem on my trip (What!?! He originally said he wasn't sure of what could be causing the problem so he wanted a second opinion!).

What else would make a fan clutch engage like this? And will it hurt my truck on a 3-day, 1,800-mile trip???

This makes me very nervous, but I really have no choice.

It is not uncommon for the clutch fan to engage when leaving a stop light. This is a result of heat building up in the engine compartment while stopped and that heat engaging the fan just as you start up.

Now there are a couple of reasons why a new clutch may do this when another one did not. The specification for these fans state that they may engage from 160 to 190 degrees F. If you new fan is at the lower end of this spec it will react sooner, more often.

Another thing that influences fan operation is the condition of the radiator. If the radiator is dirty inside it will not lower the water temperature as it should and the engine will tend to over heat. This over heating causes hotter air to flow past the radiator and contact the clutch causing the clutch to engage, but at a higher engine temperature.

If the radiator is clogged with bugs and other road dirt again the engine will tend to over heat but the clutch fan will not engage at a normal temperature.

I generally pressure wash the exterior of the radiator once a year and remove the radiator and have it cleaned internally ever couple of years.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Las Vegas , Nevada
If yours has the top air pump, A/C compressor both in the way you'll find the only way to extract the fan clutch with schroud and radiator in place is to first remove the alternator creating a "hole" big enough for extraction. With alternator out of the way its much easier to get at the clutch mounting bolts/nuts also. I recently had a 6 month old clutch fail and really did not want to take everything from the grill back off again from a recent water pump change out.
My alt. is serpentine belt driven and R&R isn't bad at all from inside MH. Add this to everything in above posts and you should be good to go.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
Hi all - I need to buy a new fan clutch for my 250 MH.
Unless you can not turn the fan freely by hand while the engine is off, a lock clutch, I would suggest you have the radiator cleaned first. There is almost nothing in the clutch fan that can go bad. It is an oil fill dual fan converter with a bimetallic locking cam.

2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote